Engine shake

Daniel7567

Reaction score
I have been busting my brain trying to figure out the engine shake in my 2001 F350 7.3L diesel. I have had it checked at a a shop and was told it is something electrical and all injectors are works as they should, So far fresh oil change with oem Filter, Cam sensor, Fuel filter, and checked all wiring and all is good. Still has shake and has low acceleration at take off and in reverse. I have to drive the truck with overdrive turned off until I get to 70 MPH then I can put over drive back on and it does not shake so bad. Have no smoke from truck what so ever and no codes accept for airbag sensor and abs sensor.
I am about at my wits end with this truck, I did check the MAP sensor by unplugging it to see if any change in RPM and it did nothing just stayed the same. Thinking that it may be the issue. Any help or suggestions would be great need to get this running right before the snow flies since I have no garage to work on truck.

Last edited:

psduser1

Reaction score
Check the icpc sensor, front of the engine, left head behind the alternator.
If there is oil in the plug, replace it with a new oem sensor. I've had them mess with the smoothness.

Zeb

Reaction score
If the electrical side is checking out fine, it could easily be an issue on the fuel side of an injector.
I have seen scored plungers, broken nozzle springs etc, can make them miss/shake under load as you are describing. By keeping the rpm higher it masks the problem.

dmd

Reaction score
Have you checked compression or just a simple blowby test by taking off the oil
fill cap?

That shake is probably cylinders not firing or are way low on compression and not contributing their share

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Just how can a harmonic balancer go bad? Not dissing you, honest question.

The rubber isolator between the inner and outer ring will start to go bad, swell up, and cause an imbalance. Which results in an variable shake based on RPM. In extreme cases the outer ring will come off the inner and you'll shred the belt and probably worse!

It's happening more and more now that these trucks are getting older, the rubber is starting to age, especially if theres an oil leak on the front (CPS or LPOP), will make it age faster.

fastersteve

Reaction score
The rubber isolator between the inner and outer ring will start to go bad, swell up, and cause an imbalance. Which results in an variable shake based on RPM. In extreme cases the outer ring will come off the inner and you'll shred the belt and probably worse!

It's happening more and more now that these trucks are getting older, the rubber is starting to age, especially if theres an oil leak on the front (CPS or LPOP), will make it age faster.

Exactly! I've seen this twice personally

Arisley

Reaction score
OK, never really thought about that. I have seen a couple times where the outer ring has spun. Made timing a real bitch. That was on fifty and sixty year old cars though.

Daniel7567

Reaction score
I have checked everything on this truck so far and now it has no power upon acceleration, climbing hills, or starting from a stop sign. I has now started blowing black smoke when I get on it to accelerate up to speed. It also surges as if it is trying to get back to normal running. also I can smell fuel when I stand next to the truck and it is idling. beginning to wonder if my turbo went out. Also the truck is using an insane amount of fuel I can go 30 miles and it has used 1/8th of a tank of fuel. Dont want to drive the truck anymore than I need to, but need it for work. Any help would be great and thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:

Daniel7567

Reaction score
Have not dug that far into the motor yet to see if it might be injectors, but I did check the turbo and it is fine, I unplugged the map sensor and nothing changed, I unplugged the IPC and no change either, motor still ran like it was in a D5 cat dozer (CRAP). I unplugged most of the sensors I could find and get to and nothing changed with the motor. I am going to dig into the injectors tomorrow I hope so long as weather hold out for me.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Clear all cel and then while the truck is running at idle, unplug the icp sensor. If it changes in any way then the sensor is bad. Unless there are issues upstream from that. Lol

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online