Instant fuel mileage

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Have a 2016 Lariat Ultimate. When I go on long drives, the instant fuel milage reading freezes. The distance to empty works fine just instant fuel mileage freezes. I have to reset it for it to start working again. I have it set to update every 5 minutes. I have not tried other update times.

Is this a common issue with it freezing?

Thanks

Billy T.
[email protected]

Reaction score
It’s displaying an average for however long it’s been since it was reset. The longer you go the less frequent it changes. If you want to see actual use trip “A” or “B”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gnxtc2

Reaction score
The vertical green bar graph and the horizontal white box that gives your average mpg for your chosen time. The miles to empty works fine.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Attachments

• 20160918_150348.jpg
    20160918_150348.jpg
    629 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Reaction score
The vertical green bar graph and the horizontal white box that gives your average mpg for your chosen time. The miles to empty works fine.

Billy T.

[email protected]

That screen doesn’t show the 5 minute increments. So in that screen you’re saying the green vertical graph never goes above or below the white line demarcating 15.2 mpg average?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
LOL...You are talking about two different screens. One is the Instant MPG and the other is Fuel History.

Instant may/may not change as often as you think, it depends on your driving.
Fuel History will change based upon your setting (5 Minutes).

Toggle over to the next screen from Instant Fuel to see Fuel History (every 5 minutes).

gnxtc2

Reaction score
No, it's on the Fuel Economy screen. If you look at my pic above, you have the green vertical bar graph and the AVG MPG in the square white box. Those two displays freeze on me.

The next screen over changes the fuel history.

Billy T.
[email protected]

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Fuel Economy has two screens: Instant MPG and Fuel His (History)

Fuel History allows setting the 5 minute intervals. That setting does nothing on the Instant MPG screen.

IF you reset the Instant MPG screen, it should change within short time driving. For my experiences this will not change rapdily with long drives and consistent driving conditions (i.e. HWY driving). Now if you were to hit a hard long hill, there should be a change....but then as soon as you level off it will find it's happy place again and sit there.

With that out of the way...I'd suggest you switch between the two screens to see if there is really a problem.

I think your driving conditions (not really clear either) are not varying so much to change the display.

Just to check my own experiences I will change to this screen and see what happens while I'm out driving around.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Okay so after driving a bit here's my experience. Using the Instant MPG screen the green bar is what will be most dynamic. It will easily change readings due to operating conditions of the vehicle. Best way I could see the bar changes was while driving along then coming to a full stop. At a Stop the bar would drop to a reading of 0, then once back up to speed limit using Cruise Control the bar will settle where it calculates the "instant" MPG. Now the side bar MPG numbers are not nearly as dynamic as the green bar but they will change while driving.

In short: If the green bar on the Instant MPG screen does not move at all while driving along then coming to a stop I'd agree there's an issue with the display.

Questions? Comments?

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Okay so after driving a bit here's my experience. Using the Instant MPG screen the green bar is what will be most dynamic. It will easily change readings due to operating conditions of the vehicle. Best way I could see the bar changes was while driving along then coming to a full stop. At a Stop the bar would drop to a reading of 0, then once back up to speed limit using Cruise Control the bar will settle where it calculates the "instant" MPG. Now the side bar MPG numbers are not nearly as dynamic as the green bar but they will change while driving.

In short: If the green bar on the Instant MPG screen does not move at all while driving along then coming to a stop I'd agree there's an issue with the display.

Questions? Comments?

Correct....the green bar changes due to engine load, take off, etc, etc. The side bar will settle somewhere depending on the green bar.

After a few minutes of driving on the highway, pulling hills and going downhill, the green bar stops fluctuating and the side bar gets stuck on a whatever was the last number.

Billy T.
[email protected]

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Okay...since the green bar stops moving under any condition to include when stopped in traffic I'll agree there's a gremlin twerking in there.

I'll keep watching mine to see if it "settles" over time. I generally don't watch this screen/info as I know more by the trip meter miles driven and fuel gauge info. It's pretty easy for me to get to 500+ miles, have 1/4 tank of fuel left, and drive 70+ MPH.

Latest posts