Wrench light on dash

kantzkaleb

Reaction score
Im new to the 6.0 game and new to this page. I was passing someone uphill and after i let off the light came on so i took it easy the next mile or so to my house then shut the truck off and restarted and no light? What should i do?

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
So does a wrench light, its gotta be 05-07. Wrench light come on for 1 of 2 things typically, overboost or ect/eot split.

bismic

Reaction score
Considering its posted in the 6.0 section, that kind of narrows it down...

As you know, there are specific differences in weaknesses in 03 engines and 05+ engines - reason for always posting the model year of the engine. The 08-10 vans are different as well, as are the excursions. It was a valid question to be thorough (even though he did say truck, lol).

EOT / ECT split and overboost are NOT the only things that throw a wrench light.

FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM vehicle power (VPWR) parameter identifier (PIDS) is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.

Also Battery voltage below 9.5V

See link for TSB REFERENCE

https://system.na1.netsuite.com/cor...2449&c=744110&h=4c8895199b20f6afa201&_xt=.pdf

Good catch on the 05 and up wrench light 6.0 tech - he just said "light", in the text, I guess I didn't pay attention to the title.

As listed in the TSB, the 08 E series has its own unique programming w/ respect to codes and wrench light.

Im new to the 6.0 game and new to this page. I was passing someone uphill and after i let off the light came on so i took it easy the next mile or so to my house then shut the truck off and restarted and no light? What should i do?

Last edited:

kantzkaleb

Reaction score
Sorry bare with me its an 05 6.0, i. Drove it to work today and it has not come on im hope im not hurting anything by driving it

bismic

Reaction score
If it is a plugging oil cooler, it can get worse and cost you a lot more money when the oil cooler fails.

An overboost can weaken head gasket sealing (head bolts) over time.

Not wise to drive without knowing. Pulling codes should tell as 79jasper mentioned.

In the meantime, you need to give us more information.

What coolant are you running? Have you inspected it recently?
Do you have gauges to monitor engine coolant and oil temps?
Were you watching the boost gauge when passing uphill?

Last edited:

kantzkaleb

Reaction score
Thank you. That is helpful i actually just bought the truck about a week ago and dont know much about it. The truck is also bone stock 100k miles. Im going to get it scanned tonight
If it is a plugging oil cooler, it can get worse and cost you a lot more money when the oil cooler fails.

An overboost can weaken head gasket sealing (head bolts) over time.

Not wise to drive without knowing. Pulling codes should tell as 79jasper mentioned.

In the meantime, you need to give us more information.

What coolant are you running? Have you inspected it recently?
Do you have gauges to monitor engine coolant and oil temps?
Were you watching the boost gauge when passing uphill?

bismic

Reaction score
Another piece of important information is whether or not you still have an intact EGR system.

Your original EGR cooler is a weak design and if the oil cooler is plugging, it can be starving the EGR cooler coolant flow and that might rupture also. Ruptured EGR coolers can possibly hydrolock the engine and that can cause more damage.

You can try backflushing a plugged oil cooler, but many/most end up needing to be replaced. If you replace it, then replace the OEM EGR cooler with one from BulletProofDiesel (if you plan on keeping the EGR system).

There are other things for a new owner to know, just let us know what the code is.

Also - every 6.0L owner should have a scan device to read engine parameters. Forscan and Torque Pro are two good phone apps, and only $5 or so. Then you need to buy an ELM 327 device to plug into the OBDII port. Getting the Bluetooth or WiFi version will depend on your phone and the app you choose. With the scan tool, you can troubleshoot things like this without taking it in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online