Very fuelly smoke till warm

Smoky

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum but not diesels. Just to let you know I was a diesel mechanic for about 15 years mostly on heavy equipment so I know my way around and engine compartment. So onto my 05 PSD. Around 127k on her. Egr delete, new turbo, new ford injectors, ARPstuds, reman p/s head, decked and tested d/s head, 4" exhaust, blue spring, bullydog watchdog, SCT programmer on unlimited, hpop done about 2 years ago, ficm 2 years old, new standpipes and dummy tubes, just did oil filter and fuel filters, always run T6 oil, rotella elc. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Anyhow my truck smokes bad when I fire her up. Temp doesn't matter, its been 70 here. Very white and fuelly. Burn your eyes bad. Turned the snow yellow this winter. I'm not losing any coolant. I need some help or a little direction. I don't have any super fancy computer diag stuff. Just the torque plus app and the SCT scanner. So after I fire her up she'll run a bit ruff for a few seconds than smooth. As soon as i drive her the smoke stops for good. If i just putt around the yard she will smoke the whole time. You have to get it up to highway speed to get it to stop. Thanks ahead of time.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
Sounds like you've got an injector that could have backed off and dumping extra fuel into the cylinder or a tip is cracked. Usually a cracked tip will fog out a neighborhood though...

Smoky

Reaction score
GP system is good. Truck fires up from -10 to 90 no problem. If I was to pull the injectors is there anyway to visually see a cracked tip or is there some sort of test to at least pin point which bank? I'll try to get a video tomorrow morning and post it. Smoke and smell is the same with or without the tune in.

swinky

Reaction score
Maybe turn the key forward, let fuel pump run for 30 seconds, turn key back then forward again fuel pump will run for another 30 seconds.......

Do this 4-5 times and see if it's noticeably worse.

If it's fuel getting past an injector I would think it would get quite a bit worse.

equalizier

Reaction score
It's going to be an injector tip sticking.If it were a cracked tip it would do it constantly it could also be the lower o ring on the injector.The o ring could not be sealed all the way around in the injector cup.When you start it allows a little bit of fuel into the combustion chamber causing the white smoke "raw diesel=un burnt diesel in the exhaust side of the motor".When you run it for a little bit it will stop as the o ring seals off and does not let any more fuel into the combustion chamber.

Now on cold starts this exact thing can happen and that is because the oil is to thick on cold mornings .There is no way to drain the oil off the back of the spool valve in the injector.The spool valve tends to stick from varnish build up also.The simple solution is to put a groove in the hot side of the solenoid of the injector and slightly and I mean slightly polish the spool valve.

Last edited:

Smoky

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. Been out of town for work, blah blah. I tried the key cycle several times over the last few days and the smoke is the same..