High egt's

05wh250

Reaction score
My what's are higher than I'd like them while towing, pretty easy to hit 1300. I've had a heavy tow tune built by Warren and gear head but they both still do the same thing. I pulled a small enclosed, probably 5,000lbs and was pretty much 1050+ running 65-70 on the interstate. Mods are in my signature besides a Hellman intercooler and no limit intake. I'm running php's economy on the ficm, that's the only thing I can think of that would cause it. It runs good and builds boost like it's supposed to. The water and oil temps were good while towing. I think it's the ficm tune doing it but wanted some opinions before I go to spending money.

Zeb

Reaction score
Things to do, and the order is do them in.

#1 Pressure check the system for boost leaks. You need to pressure check from the inlet of the turbo all the way into the cylinders. A visual check is about worthless, as is trying to use ether to find a leak, or just thinking spoolup and boost are “ok”. Numerous times I have seen leaks cause egt issues that had little affect on spool up or total boost.

#2 Make very sure you don’t have any exhaust leaks pre turbo.

#3 Get the FICM tune off of it.

#4 Get something better than a Powermax for a turbo.

Last edited:

05wh250

Reaction score
I'll pressure test it this weekend and make sure. I'm working on getting the tune out of the ficm now. I've looked for exhaust leaks and didn't find any but I'll check again. For right now the turbo is staying.

05wh250

Reaction score
To give an update, I pressure tested it at work yesterday and did have a boost leak, not sure why I wanted to dismiss such an easy thing to do. I got the ficm tune out of it and it seems to have helped with both of those. Not sure when I'll get to pull anything with but when I do I'll try to remember to update this again. Thanks for your help.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Why do you not want the FICM tune in it.
Ficm tuners are typically not accounted for in good tuning. I had an idp ficm tuner and idp tuning at one point, and with 19p/30s and a stage 2, it was extremely smokey. Set the ficm tuner to badically stock and it cleaned way up. Basically the ficm tuner changes some ficm parameters, as normal tuning doesn't touch the ficm, then with the regular tuning they add pw and timing on top of what the ficm tuner added.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Ficm tuners are typically not accounted for in good tuning. I had an idp ficm tuner and idp tuning at one point, and with 19p/30s and a stage 2, it was extremely smokey. Set the ficm tuner to badically stock and it cleaned way up. Basically the ficm tuner changes some ficm parameters, as normal tuning doesn't touch the ficm, then with the regular tuning they add pw and timing on top of what the ficm tuner added.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

WHS ^ The only platform that even allows full control over the PCM and FICM is HPtuners in one whole flash.

Its a excellent platform, but the credits for the PCM/TCM and the FICM cost a ton+ in the fee for the tune writer actual files and its a load of money.

So that's why its IMO rare to see some of the larger tuners on HPtuners for the 6.0 and choose to stick with SCT.

When in the right hands, in combination with a HPtuners based all in one PCM/TCM/FICM file a truck can make a ton more power on the HPtuners platform vs a truck on SCT with ICP fooling and other PCM based ICP "tricks" with the same setup.

The truck runs overall better and its less "quirky" The power band is quite smoother as well.

Majority, of the major tune writers files are built with their "secret" tricks (like ICP fooling ect etc) in mind.

So adding a ficm file with actual pulsewidth table adjustments/combined with the PCM ICP based "fooling" will just make the truck smokey and run hot.

You could possibly ask your tune writer to return ICP values to OEM so the FICM/FICM file can actually do its job.

But they may not change it due to them needing to rebuild the file.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
WHS ^ The only platform that even allows full control over the PCM and FICM is HPtuners in one whole flash.

Its a excellent platform, but the credits for the PCM/TCM and the FICM cost a ton+ in the fee for the tune writer actual files and its a load of money.

So that's why its IMO rare to see some of the larger tuners on HPtuners for the 6.0 and choose to stick with SCT.

When in the right hands, in combination with a HPtuners based all in one PCM/TCM/FICM file a truck can make a ton more power on the HPtuners platform vs a truck on SCT with ICP fooling and other PCM based ICP "tricks" with the same setup.

The truck runs overall better and its less "quirky" The power band is quite smoother as well.

Majority, of the major tune writers files are built with their "secret" tricks (like ICP fooling ect etc) in mind.

So adding a ficm file with actual pulsewidth table adjustments/combined with the PCM ICP based "fooling" will just make the truck smokey and run hot.

You could possibly ask your tune writer to return ICP values to OEM so the FICM/FICM file can actually do its job.

But they may not change it due to them needing to rebuild the file.

Very interesting info.

Latest posts

Members online