power steering pump

Reaction score
Going to replace my power steering pump this weekend. Its getting hard to turn the wheel especially at lower idle. Anything special i need to know? What not to do. Any upgraded pump i should buy?

79jasper

Reaction score
You can get a upgraded pump, but it takes a little work to get it in, iirc. I think it's the van Saginaw pump.
Search on here for it. Pretty good threads on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Reaction score
whoops sorry read that entirely too fast. There are alot of threads out there about using hydroboost or even a 6.0 pump but they seem to involve lots of work.

old man dave

Reaction score
6.0 pump requires finding a 7.3 van bracket and pump pulley. The van bracket uses the 6.0 style pump and the pump is still in the OBS location. Just needs one custom hose made.

Bracket is off of about 98-03 7.3 van. Some appear on ebay as NOS stock.

The pulley is a wrecking yard deal since there are no new ones available except maybe a lucky ebay find.

Supposed to work with stock OBS belt.

Got4wd on powerstrokenation did a writeup.

ScotLawn

Reaction score
im new to this site but does anyone know the van part number for the PS bracket?

pdumont01

Reaction score
my new oem ford pump does this, I sure hope its not bad
My rebuilt pump does this too about a month after install have to rev it a little at a stop. Hopefully the next one is good.got lifetime warranty lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bugman

Reaction score
im new to this site but does anyone know the van part number for the PS bracket?

There is no part number since there are no new ones out there. If yours is cracked take it to a welder and he should be able to take care of it. Other than that you will need to find something at the junk yard

old man dave

Reaction score
I got mine for $150 on ebay. The hard part is getting the van PS pulley, its a junkyard only item.

So, if you can find the pulley at the junkyard, generally the bracket is there, too.

ScotLawn

Reaction score
I got mine for $150 on ebay. The hard part is getting the van PS pulley, its a junkyard only item.

So, if you can find the pulley at the junkyard, generally the bracket is there, too.

What did you use to search on ebay? i have looked high and low and cant find anything but ones from dealerships and they are not in stock.

old man dave

Reaction score
What did you use to search on ebay? i have looked high and low and cant find anything but ones from dealerships and they are not in stock.

I googled the part number and it turned up all of the internet sales, both dealer and ebay. Mine was from a salvage dealer on ebay.

This is tonight's (11-12-15) listings for the van bracket:
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=F7TZ-19E708-BA+

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
So, for the 6.0 pump. I need an OBS belt for my 99 F250? Or does this mod only workon an OBS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old man dave

Reaction score
You would have to switch both engine brackets for the OBS/van ones for this to work with a SD among other things. A/C compressor/alternator in OBS is opposite from SD.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.