6.0 tranny cooler

7.3 MACHINE

Reaction score
Ok, so my tranny got up to 195° saturday while on Assateague, it was really hot that day and I had to stop and cast a few lines while the trans cooled. I have read that the 6 liter coolers work well but I want to know which one works best as far as 26 or 32 vanes and best lines to use and all so feel free to put your opinion and experience. Thx

bruce

Reaction score
They both work so much better than a stocker that it doesn't matter. But in all seriousness 195 really isn't that high

7.3 MACHINE

Reaction score
Well it was high enough to where I could smell the tranny fluid, fan on the truck came on like it does when it cold and you take off, also felt a little slipping as well.

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
Do you have an aftermarket gauge telling you trans temp? Where is it installed? I run the 6.0 cooler from rockauto I installed when I rebuilt my 4R100. I've yet to break the 140 degree mark....

North 'Needs to warm up in winter tho' Woods2002

Last edited:

7.3 MACHINE

Reaction score
Yes, its installed in the passenger side of the transmission , there's a plug that comes out and I put it in place of it. Picked up a 26 row cooler today from local auto yard for $131 with a one year warranty and got barbed fittings and clamps today. Going to get trans lines tomorrow from advance auto parts to do install, hopefully it'll do the job on really hot days.

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
Yes, its installed in the passenger side of the transmission , there's a plug that comes out and I put it in place of it. Picked up a 26 row cooler today from local auto yard for $131 with a one year warranty and got barbed fittings and clamps today. Going to get trans lines tomorrow from advance auto parts to do install, hopefully it'll do the job on really hot days.

Make darn sure you flush that used cooler with Kooler Kleen or something similar... You never know where that parts been....