Common rail conversion using duramax parts

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Trying to gather some info on some duramax stuff to maybe attempt a common rail conversion for a pulling truck. If I'm not mistaken it looks like the lly/lbz injectors would be best as they have a longer body. Not sure on the duramax spray pattern but I'm sure I would have to source some nozzles with a correct spray pattern. Also I know I'd need to add a crank position sensor and come up with a new cam sensor, but what else is needed other than the obvious rail pressure sensor, and throttle position sensor to make the electronics play nice and run efi live?
I'm kind of stupid when it comes to duramax stuff compared to a 7.3 so any info would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Tuning shouldn't be too awful hard if everything electronically is set up to mimic a duramax. Not saying there won't be some snags along the way but I don't foresee it being the biggest hurdle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
I think I've had this discussion amongst some friends and if I remember right the dmax firing order is different than the 7.3 firing order. Someone that is very good at efi was part of it and I don't think he knew how to change the firing order in the soft ware so it meant getting a new crank and cam made to work in the right order.

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
It may have been from one side to the other that was different. It was a number of years ago we talked about this after a pull one night. I know that seemed to be a big issue but maybe we just over thought it lol

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Couldn't just switch injector solenoid wiring around like changing spark plug wiring on a gasser to change firing order?

You can. I know there's a weird method of doing it. So many twists and such on the harness make a pretty big deal on the signal being correct.

I had no idea bout any of it. Chad @ Empire edumacated me after his findings with his reverse firing order cam.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
This really isn't all that difficult depending on what route you wish to take. You need Cam sensor, crank sensor, throttle position sensor, map sensor, rail pressure sensor, injectors, fuel rails and lines, CP3(s), etc....

But here is the rub - you take all that time, custom make the parts (not hard, but time and money consuming) - why not just build a Dmax and put in the truck and spend the money you would have spent transforming the 7.3 to common rail? I love the 7.3 - I even have the designs for lots of upgrades like this that I have worked on over the years. (I had LBZ injectors in a 7.3 head in 2007). I keep circling back and have openly discussed just using an LBZ engine in my next Ford project. I have also discussed doing what you propose, mostly because I want to..... then I come back to the realization of how much time I would spend getting it right versus just going the route of a different motor.

Reaction score
Yeah, or if you don't want to go the d-max route why not a 6.4? They are not nearly as limited as a 7.3. The PCM allows for basically any rpm, injectors and pumps are simple to come by and cheap. Plenty of aftermarket support and even off the shelf billet heads if you want to he squirrelly. And on top of that it's a bed plate engine and has proven to be competitive with any platform out there. Plus tuning through h&s mcc is a snap.

Latest posts

Members online