07 expedition gets 4bta'd

gwunter

Reaction score
The old girl is still up and running. Actually better than ever. After the hx30 install it just didnt seem to run right for some reason. And i finally figured it out. It seemed to have a miss feeling during higher rpm and heavy load. I checked everything i could easily check and was stumped on it ever since the hx30 install. I never hooked up my ksb cold start mechanism on the injection pump, which was in turn advancing my injection timing 5*!! I never hooked it up because it always started so well. But i still cant explain why i didnt notice this miss type feeling with the h1c. But now it runs really well and pull in the upper rpms better. When i was testing it after the ksb hookup, the boost went to 45psi!! I was shocked it did tgat. The waste gate was closed off. Ill need to get my waste gate controlled better as i beliece 45psi is way off its map....and i dont want it to eat a compressor or chuck a turbine. I have also swapped out the luk clutch for a spec stage 3.5 clutch.there is a night and day difference in these clutches. Im very impressed with the clutch. Nice smooth action and good engagement. Ive also purchased ford factory service manuals to straighten out some creature comfort issues. Compounds, innercooler, and better amsoil oil filter setup are still to come. Im also going to install a air fuel ratio gauge to better tune the IP, pyro is installed and running and she never breaks 1200*f yet. Its got some smoke down low i would like to get rid of.

gwunter

Reaction score
20160712_191145_zpslnyzvsmv.jpg

20160712_191208_zps7nvmb0bo.jpg

20160712_191248_zpsinijkvbo.jpg

20160712_191424_zps0ofcrni6.jpg

So I finally got this hammered out and about ready to drop in. A few hoses to make and some hose clamps to install and we will see if it fits in the engine bay. 1 pipe will be very very close. It was fun to make and would have been funner if I wasn't taking online calculus. I went with the hx35 over hx30w for this setup. Rumor has it it is a very street friendly setup. We shall see.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Looking awesome Shannon! Cain the wait to see how fast it builds boost and the smoke output.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Notneb

Reaction score
Seriously awesome build, going to keep this in mind when I buy a Wrangler, since 4BT swaps are perfect for those.

gwunter

Reaction score
Something just broke between the rear drive shaft and flywheel. I'm thinking transmission input shaft. I'm kinda kicking myself right now. :(

ja_cain

Reaction score
Found the weak link. It was the adapter shafts I cobbled together. Going to have to beef this up.

20161023_192018_zpsgsrrydxv.jpg
Carnage. Any thoughts on how you are going to beef it up?

gwunter

Reaction score
I got a plan just have to put it in motion. It's going to require the monarch and the kearney trecker!! I'm pumped.I got a 2"OD piece of steel here to use, but might look for something heavier.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I got a plan just have to put it in motion. It's going to require the monarch and the kearney trecker!! I'm pumped.I got a 2"OD piece of steel here to use, but might look for something heavier.

I've got a little bit of stuff sitting around. When I get to the lab tomorrow I'll let you know what I have on hand. Just made a rolling pin out of 3.5" and have about 3" of that left. Also have some 2" to 2.5" mild steal round stock left over too. Probably about 1' to 2'.

Btw, I just have to quote the A-Team. "I love it when a plan comes together." Lol!!!!!

ja_cain

Reaction score
I found a 4" piece of 3 1/2" diameter stock and 2' to 3' piece of 2 1/2". Let me know if you could use any of it for the repair/modification.

219f0bd7cf93d892ebd632c5260c9975.jpg

gwunter

Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm good to go. The shaft is all welded up. Will post pics later. It turned out well. The only thing that went wrong was one portion of the welding process kind of distorted the splines, so I'm in the process of dressing those up a bit.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm good to go. The shaft is all welded up. Will post pics later. It turned out well. The only thing that went wrong was one portion of the welding process kind of distorted the splines, so I'm in the process of dressing those up a bit.
Cool. That's why I always weld then machine if I can. Can't wait to see the pics.

gwunter

Reaction score
Well here's the pics of the new assembled shaft if anybody cares.

20161029_093030_zps8uwj98g6.jpg

20161029_093057_zpsy1jdb5hd.jpg

20161029_093151_zpsbcd3rshl.jpg

20161029_123941_zpsjwozc82u.jpg

20161029_123925_zpsvgafejxk.jpg

A lot of wire was used to fill those slots and the female splines got distorted from the high heat. Upon first time assembly it wouldn't mate up with the male part. I wound up having to grind a piece of high speed steel the approximate same shape as a tooth of the splines. I then had to use my lathe with a boring bar to straighten out the splines, like a broach. It took a while, but worked. I hate having to abuse my lathe like that but it's all back together now. Maybe someday I'll tool up and get the equipment to cut splines. I could cut external splines now, but internals are a whole new game.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Nice work man. I need to look into the different broaching methods for cutting splines. I hope it holds up for you this time.

gwunter

Reaction score
No real updates other than the miles are stacking up. The wife drives it nearly every day and it's been very reliable. Still averaging 23mpg routinely. I was hoping for 25mpg but it just hasn't happened yet. The adapter shaft I built a while back is running just fine. Getting ready to install a turbo drive pressure gauge to see how hard the small turbo is being driven. I also have a air/fuel ratio gauge to install to better tune it's efficiency. But I still have a few small things to work out, like cruise, 4x4, AC. I'm also working on a device that will control/measure the travel of the advancement of the VE injection pump; so that I will know exactly what it is doing at all times. I also have all the stuff put together for installing a higher volume lift pump.

I see you have a bronco with 4bt in your sig. What's the skinny on it?

needen$77

Reaction score
Have you seen that Cummings repower 4bt? I don't think its priced or out yet.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.