6.0 fan on OBS Results....

96F350KID

Reaction score
Used, came from a 90k 07 in for a Cummins conversion. If your never over 3k you don't run it hard enough lol.

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
I bought a brand new one.... maybe yours had hit something before....

mine is used for pulling my 5th wheel.....I normally pull it at around 2,700-2,900 rpm...
it seems to pull really well there, the torque peak is around 2,600, and this thing
is a pullin' demon now.... you guys all think that draggin' or sled pullin is hard....

try pulling a 6-7 % hill in the summer W/ 21,000 lbs on when it's both dry and hot for 12- 14 MILES.

you'll find any "Weak Links" in a great big hurry.

Last edited:

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
yeah, but there ain't any mountains in Fla. Jake .... LOL

try pulling an actual Mountain sometime.... after the first 5 minutes, things are

SCREAMING Hot....and you have 6-7 MILES left to go....

it takes a whole different set of tools.....

jamesc7.3

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but the only 6.0 fans I have ever seen or can find are 6 bolt, am I missing something?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Swaan

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but the only 6.0 fans I have ever seen or can find are 6 bolt, am I missing something?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Obs fans are 6 bolt with a 5" pilot. Same as a 6.0 .
The off set is a little diffrent but they work well.
Obs fan is steel 7 blade and heavy
6.0 fan is plastic 9 blade and light.

Your not missing much.

JCart

Reaction score
I've used the 6.0 in two trucks now and they work fine. Lighter by a significant amount, the 7.3 steel ones lead to bearing failure on the water pumps (I think) as they are so heavy. Iirc steel at full lock robs 30 hp and pulls 8000 Cfm, the 6.0 pulls 11,000 Cfm and are much quieter.

j

Reaction score
I have a 6.0 fan but Motorcraft. For the price I paid (can't remember exactly but like $60 or less) can't find a reason to consider the lower quality of Dorman. Shop Motorcraft on line........

Peroni

Reaction score
I talked with a fellow today who took a slightly different route with this mod. He used the plastic 7.3 SD fan but coupled it with the fan clutch from the 7.3 SD van. He had a lot more radiator to fan clearance with his combo than I do with the 6.0 fan and OBS fan clutch. I wasn't able to get any pics as we were both filling up at the local gas station. Just another avenue to explore for others wanting a better fan setup.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I talked with a fellow today who took a slightly different route with this mod. He used the plastic 7.3 SD fan but coupled it with the fan clutch from the 7.3 SD van. He had a lot more radiator to fan clearance with his combo than I do with the 6.0 fan and OBS fan clutch. I wasn't able to get any pics as we were both filling up at the local gas station. Just another avenue to explore for others wanting a better fan setup.

Gotta find a better six bolt replacement fan that fits on the E-fan clutch.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Reaction score
Since the engine is out it is time to consider things such as this. I have an EC450 Horton fan clutch in the box, but it isn't going on there with out a good plastic fan. I had a picture of a 99 van engine that looked good as far as fore and aft spacing but couldn't see it was a 4 bolt clutch.

Reaction score
So I'm sitting here with my notebook from the weekends thinking:

The original steel fan has blades with an effective thickness of 2.5 inches. From the front face of the blades to the center hub is 1.625 and from the hub to the rear edge of the blades is .75. Tough measurements sitting on the floor with a carpenter's square and a tape measure. Looking through Horton's dimensional listings I found 997YR105260-008 that is a 22 inch diameter blade with 1.5" thick blades with 1.01 from front to hub and .51 to the rear. Have to wonder what the performance would be with reduced diameter and blade pitch. The 6.0 is 2.25 pitch 23 diameter.

Reaction score
I guess I can't read my own writing:

997YR105S250-008 is the correct part # not a real solution just a discussion point.

Gonna look at an F650 and a 330 Pete tonight tape in hand..........It is out there.

Swaan

Reaction score
You guys are chasing your tail. I've done all this and more to my truck. The end conclusion was it doesn't matter how much air you pull across the core , because it's the rad core it self that is the bottle neck. The actuall square inch of the rad core needs to be bigger if you want more cooling.
And that's a really tall order because the obs has no more room for a bigger core.
Just might have to back out of the fuel while towing.

I had a custom 9 blade plastic fan with way more pitch then the 6.0 fan , along with a custom made alum fan shroud that fit right tight to a alum mishimoto rad... still ran hot if I let it.
The only thing the horton ec450 did was buy me some time as I could turn the fan on earlier.

If I was to do it all over again if just put a 6.0 fan on a heavy duty fan clutch. It cooled dam near just as good.

Horse power makes heat.

I just recently purchased a 2016 6.7 f350. The engine rad is probley double the square inch as the obs radiator. Also pulls the hills every bit as good or better then my 7.3. Amazing how far they have come.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Swaan,

Answering a few points backwards.....The 6.7 is wonderful no doubt. But you have to understand me. I do things with horses still that others are doing with quads and UTV's. Because I still can and I feel better doing it the old way.
So looking at your 6.7 cooling package comment, there are 2 parts to it. total HP requires so much cooling BUT there is the part where we are cooling things that we didn't used to cool like exhaust gases. We can get away with a lot less cooling because we have a nice simple engine.
Continuing on cooling I wonder if the Mishimoto radiator is all that. I don't know how to scientifically measure, but I know back in the days when I had landfill equipment core design was critical on the same square inch radiator 2 different designs on a 105 degree day would make or break a dozer.

How many square (and cubic) inches is a 7.3 SD radiator? I seem to remember someone who had a new free SD 7.3 radiator making it fit an OBS, turned out wasn't much different?

On the plastic fan for the EC 450, I'd just like to not have that heavy steel fan and at the same time have the capacity of the 6.0 fan.

On the 6.0 plastic fan on the 7.3 stock viscous clutch, I like how it clears the fluidamper however I do have concerns it is a bit close to the radiator. I have heard of a few disasters. So I learned something today. Since I need a new fan clutch and I'm not ready (and may never be) ready to put the EC450 in I may try the SD blade PSD van clutch set up.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.