Magnetic inline transmission filter a good or bad idea?

Chris2590

Reaction score
On my last transmission fluid and filter change I put in a magnefine inline transmission filter on the return line of my transmission. After doing this I'm second guessing myself because someone told me the filter in the pan is more then good enough and the inline filter can change line pressure and be restrictive. Is there truth to that. If so I want to get it removed before I do any damage.
Thanks

Got4wd

Reaction score
On my last transmission fluid and filter change I put in a magnefine inline transmission filter on the return line of my transmission. After doing this I'm second guessing myself because someone told me the filter in the pan is more then good enough and the inline filter can change line pressure and be restrictive. Is there truth to that. If so I want to get it removed before I do any damage.
Thanks

I wouLd run it for a little while, then pull it. I always had leaks with those filters.

Zmann

Reaction score
Ford used to have a requirement that you use a filter on the return line when installing a rebuilt trans
it was actually a magnafine in some cases with a ford part # ( they still sell iirc)
they dropped the requirement and went with the new Air to oil cooler ( depending on year) and flush stipulation

the bad thing is the way you install the filter by cutting the steel lines
the good thing is the magnafine has a bypass just in case it clogs

i agree i would use it for a short term
if i had a concern with a coolant to oil cooler holding debris if i was doing a tranny swap
just to catch anything headed back into the tranny

i run the diesel site spin on filter for my 5r

ford magnafine
trnsfltr.jpg

Last edited:

Chris2590

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I know a spin on filter would be a lot better idea. The only issue I had was after this fluid and filter change I'm getting a slight slip between the second and third gear shift only when giving it hell. Normal driving it never slips. I've recently added ALOT Of power to the truck and I know the transmission isn't going to last forever. Someone told me the filter I added could have something to do with it. Idk I thought I was good because there wasn't hardly any shavings on the magnet and the fluid was still red. Supposedly the transmission was rebuilt right before I bought it and has a triple disc torque converter and billet input shaft but idk if any of that is true. I'm thinking about trying a John woods or bts valve body.

Latest posts

Members online