Improper tuning???

SmokeyTex

Reaction score
Finally got done with my motor build (for now), and I am having serious issues with tuning. I have a Hydra chip and reached out to Full Force for custom tuning and Gear Head. The damn truck is steadily puffing out blackish grey smoke, and it burns your eyes like top fuel drag cars. The only code I pull is the P0541 intake heater! Everything is new from the topside up with 250/200 single shots.

superpsd

Reaction score
Usually when its that bad it burns your eyes its an injector problem. Run a CCT and Buzz test.

SmokeyTex

Reaction score
Pull the covers off and isolated each injector one by one, and there was very minuscule change in smoke. The truck is running fine (no miss, knocks, etc.) until I start isolating injectors. Gotta wait until tomorrow for my new diagnostic tool for the Buzz test.

SmokeyTex

Reaction score
I’m assuming they tuned it for single shots, the injectors sound happy anyways... They are 250/200 Full Force single shots and the “custom tuning” was also from Full Force.

SmokeyTex

Reaction score
I did notice one of the injectors oil skirt was a little loose... Maybe not seated properly idk... The strange thing is that it just started happening after I cranked the truck the other day. Almost like it happened over night? :wtf:

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Pull the chip completely and see how it runs. Not a STOCK tune, but remove it.
Might have a rough idle but stock tuning does pretty well overall to run larger injectors.
After pulling the chip if it has a rough idle, unplug the ICP and see what all changes.

Won't cost anything but a few minutes of your time.

SmokeyTex

Reaction score
CCT Results
P0266 #2 Unbalance
P0275 #5 Unbalance
P0541 IAH

Buzz Test
P1271 #1 Injector High to low side open
P1272 #2 Injector High to low side open
P1277 #7 Injector High to low side open

Zeb

Reaction score
P1316 code comes from the high to low side open codes. High to low side open codes come from too much resistance in the circuit from the IDM to the injector.
It could be in the harness, it could be in the uvch, it could be the injector solenoid, and it could be from improper clearance between the armature and solenoid when the injector fires.
When you did the buzz test, did some of the injectors buzz quieter than the others?

SmokeyTex

Reaction score
Pulled #1, #2, #5, #7 injectors to inspect health, and they look like 400 mile injectors should. Replaced everything in the heads so now I am wondering if its and IDM problem since I'm getting faults on both banks? Starting to piss me off... :fustrate:

SmokeyTex

Reaction score
No noticeable sound difference between buzz tests, I even isolated each injector to see which ones were contributing. Every injector that I isolated made the truck noticeably stumble except for #7.

psduser1

Reaction score
Not an idm problem.
Possibly a uvch problem.
Swap #7 injector over to the other bank, rerun the test, and see if the problem follows the injector, or stays at the 7 hole.
Faults on both banks, in my mind, would indicate a connection issue in the harness between the idm, and the 42 pin connector, since both banks are showing electrical problems.

SmokeyTex

Reaction score
Just got done swapping injectors to opposing banks and rotated them according. I am thinking the problem may be in the old 42 pin like psduser1 said. The uvch's are brand new as well so I went ahead and swapped those to opposite banks too to see if the problem persists. I got lazy when I did the build and skipped splicing in the new 42 pin pig tail :doh:

SmokeyTex

Reaction score
Seems like the thermostat is stuck coincidentally! let the ol girl idle for about 30 min and no temp change on the dummy gauge or my Aeroforce. Gonna give an update on it all tomorrow after work! Thanks!

SmokeyTex

Reaction score
640fd8cff97e7d7b0f30eeac608d535f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online