Vgt or non vgt

Strokinbronco

Reaction score
Bought my first 6.0 about a week ago and while installing the new intake I noticed that the compressor wheel has some damage. The turbo is the factory original with 245k on it so im planning on replacing it, my question is should I stay vgt or go non vgt? This is the first diesel i've owned that has a vgt turbo so I'm basically lost in that aspect but feel right at home with conventional turbos, truck has stock sticks and I will upgrade in the future but not until the current set starts giving me issues. That being said what would you guess recommend? I was leaning towards an s362sxe but wanted input from guys that have ran this setup vs vgt. How are the street manners, spool up, top end, and pros and cons are welcome. Yall teach me something so I don't feel so lost lol

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I personally love the driveability of a vgt. Especially on small injectors, like stockers. If you want an aftermarket vgt, contact KC Turbos, his stage 1 or 2 run really well with stock fuel, and the stage 2 with aftermarket injectors runs really good too. I did 615 on 190/30 and a stage 2 KC.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I run a pretty stock'ish set up and am on stock injectors. (see sig) and I just recently went to a 362SXE and I love it. Came from a Powermax..

Went with a 68mm turbine & divided .83AR and Ive actually been super impressed with spool up etc, as far as drivability it has been awesome. Havent towed anything with the set up yet but im sure it will do just fine. Everybody is always saying how youll lose your bottom end and responsiveness with non VGT but I quite frankly havent noticed a huge difference. Each have their pro's and con's and for lots of people it comes down to preference. But I definitely do not regret going non VGT. Spool up is awesome, EGTs are waaay low, fuel mileage is better, sounds better, power comes on way nicer, pulls hard.