1995 injector ohm reading / diy rebuild stage 1

F350stroker

Reaction score
I have my engine on a stand because I am swapping it into a gasser truck. I checked the injector ohm readings at the plugs to see what they were reading and I get 3.5 across the board. I have read that under 5 is good, I want to do the bitterroot rebuild and 160cc pistons while the engine is out and hope that those readings would mean that the injectors seem consistent. They have 225,000 km on them. On the fence to diy or buy a set of stage 1s. Anyone go the diy route ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
DIY injectors were a thing 10-12 yrs ago. I did it, and had a lot of time in them plus time on the test stand. Didn’t have the ability to make the real adjustments to the oil side. My results were ok, but basic issues were still there. Went w new ACs and was very happy.

I’d just go with the stg 1 remans for the low cost option, or new ACs.

superpsd

Reaction score
If you can afford it just buy a new pair of AC injectors. Same exact thing as stage 1 injector. If your injectors currently are in good shape you can rebuild them. I would use a feeler gauge to check armature gap to start. You can check armature gap without even removing the injector. New an injector should be around .004" of gap. Under .002" you can start to develop issues like stiction which will cause cold start miss. Upper poppet seats can fail too developing loss of power when hot.

Last edited:

F350stroker

Reaction score
Where do you get new ac injectors from ? Are they single shot like the original aa? If I rebuild them why not throw a set of 160cc pistons in for $300? 570 usd for rebuild kit, tools and pistons. Totally on the fence with this.

F350stroker

Reaction score
Just did a little research and the ac injectors sounds great. Only problem I have with it is that you have to send in cores with them being brand new ?? Why would that be ?

superpsd

Reaction score
Cores are typically required no matter who you buy injectors from... Re manufactured or new.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
DIY injectors were a thing 10-12 yrs ago....
You said it, when they weren't 10 - 12 years older and were 10 - 12 years less worn out than they are now. We work on a lot of failed DIY injector projects.:doh:

If I rebuild them why not throw a set of 160cc pistons in for $300? 570 usd for rebuild kit, tools and pistons. Totally on the fence with this.
Cuz you aren't actually "rebuilding" them for $570. You don't have a flow bench to see how far off they are (even if they have all brand new parts), and you don't have a supply of misc custom shims, pins, etc to calibrate them to flow what they are supposed to. You are going on the word of someone whose only interest is in selling you parts. I could still be selling DIY kits too, but I care that you'll probably screw it up, so I choose not to.

Just did a little research and the ac injectors sounds great. Only problem I have with it is that you have to send in cores with them being brand new ?? Why would that be ?
I was told by our AP dealer that AP has a reman division and they want the cores for that. That or they just want them off the market to take away from the rebuilders like us to push New injector sales.

F350stroker

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Jim, I believe you are probably right about the cores off the market. I probably won’t go new because of that reason. If I am paying for new injectors I won’t give up my old ones. I did check armature clearance and most are between 3 and 4 thousandths. A couple are under 3 but over 2. I didn’t check with the solenoid energized just with them in the rest position. That tells me there is a fair amount of wear on them. I have never done an injector tear down and build but I love to diy stuff and save money. I am from Canada so it seems so much pricier to pay the basically 30% exchange and then the 2 way shipping for stage ones. I do appreciate your input for sure , thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.