Please quit using the wrong oil filters and ruining your engines...

Johnboy3

Reaction score
Figured I post this up since we have been getting more and more trucks in with the wrong oil filters installed. For those that don't know, Napa/Wix makes a replacement filter that has it's own cap. It is taller than the factory Ford cap. The filter that comes in the taller Napa cap is glued in and can't be replaced with a cartidge. You throw the whole thing away when changing the filter and replace it. Notice the difference in caps:

60_Oil_Filters~~element26.jpg

Also notice the big DO NOT REUSE words on the taller Napa cap. For some reason folks miss that and pry the old filter out which is glued in there. You can tell if you are trying to put the wrong filter in the wrong cap because the cartridge filters have little snaps on the top that click into the cap. If it doesn't click, it isn't the right combo. Here is a picture of Fram cartidge vs Napa/Wix vs Motorcraft:

60_Oil_Filters~~element27.jpg

Notice how much taller the Napa/Wix filter is? The reason this is a huge issue is that there is a drain in the bottom of the oil filter housing. If you use the tall cap with the short cartridge, it will not close the drain and the oil will bypass back into the pan. Which does not provide enough lubrication for your engine. Which gives you the opportunity to rebuild or replace your engine like the poor soul's truck that we removed a mismatched filter and cap from today.

After seeing this yet again today I figured there must be a new wave of 6.0 owners who aren't aware of this issue. I have also had a rash of people on the phone who, "just changed the oil and now it doesn't have oil pressure when it warms up."

I'm also not a huge fan of the Napa/Wix filter with the taller cap period. Eliminate all possible problems in this area and just use the factory cap with the cartridge filter.

chappy

Reaction score
Yeh I bought my truck and it had a wix filter and cap on it. It did not say don't reuse though on the cap and when I went to put a motorcraft filter in it thats when I found the difference. I bought a new ford cap and now it runs the right cap and filter. I had to do research on it though to discover the problem of why they were different. So some people could be doing the same thing I did and not know any better. I never had a 6.0 before this one so I had no idea what a stock cap even looked like.

dfuzz78

Reaction score
Yeh I bought my truck and it had a wix filter and cap on it. It did not say don't reuse though on the cap and when I went to put a motorcraft filter in it thats when I found the difference. I bought a new ford cap and now it runs the right cap and filter. I had to do research on it though to discover the problem of why they were different. So some people could be doing the same thing I did and not know any better. I never had a 6.0 before this one so I had no idea what a stock cap even looked like.

Yea, I did the exact same thing and ended up losing an injector. Everyone should read this message! Thanks for posting it :thumbup:

Atsah

Reaction score
I know two guys that have used the WIX filters with the cap for years..:doh: I have talked to them about this many times and I finally just gave up.. Some people just don't get it and think they know it all.. I sent them a few links about this subject to read and they still use them so I said, *** em...

dfuzz78

Reaction score
I know two guys that have used the WIX filters with the cap for years..:doh: I have talked to them about this many times and I finally just gave up.. Some people just don't get it and think they know it all.. I sent them a few links about this subject to read and they still use them so I said, *** em...

You can only do so much. It's their engines, not yours. :morons:

4tonGT40

Reaction score
Im with you man, in all honesty if you cant afford the original Oil filter DONT BUY THE TRUCK!. Penny smart and dollar stupid I always say.....thing is Im not sure how much the napa filter saves over the OEM version, but its not worth the risk. IMO oil filters,brakes and rotors Are non negotiable..OEM only.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Have you ever seen a F-series come in with a E-series filter?

Its just plain hilarious

bigdirty

Reaction score
Wow thanks for posting this. Just found out i have been using the taller NAPA filter cap for 2 years now
:fustrate::fustrate::fustrate:

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
i was in a hurry to get my oil changed due to a unexpected trip to lake Havasu AZ. took the truck to a shop that was cool and took care of me during a snog test.

hauled the gooseneck trailer to AZ no issues, around Vegas no issues.1200 miles later I was screwing around with a Hemi that thought he could and the truck just died.

took it to the dealer and they had used the wrong filter. one of the 4 broke off tabs made its way through the system and locked up something in the system (slips my mind right now). $1K later it was running fine. took the parts to the shop and they denied that it was their fault. went to take legal action but couldn't get anything resolved. lesson learned. if i don't change the oil, the dealer does...

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Im with you man, in all honesty if you cant afford the original Oil filter DONT BUY THE TRUCK!. Penny smart and dollar stupid I always say.....thing is Im not sure how much the napa filter saves over the OEM version, but its not worth the risk. IMO oil filters,brakes and rotors Are non negotiable..OEM only.

The Fram is the OEM filter... as is the O-Reilly's house brand. As with the Motorcraft, they are all re-boxed RACOR filters

Dalton_H

Reaction score
Actually the fram and other aftermarket filters are not just rebranded OEM filters, if you look at them they all look different. One of my neighbors was using fram filters and i told him over and over again to use the motorcraft filters and he didnt listen. About a month ago his truck started losing oil pressure at idle on the guage and a week later his truck would no longer start. He now has a fresh motor in it because of this.

Latest posts