harsh 3-5 shifts

rjustman

Reaction score
i have a newly built ~7000 miles on it.. billet 5r110 behind my cummins. put the upgraded direct and pressure solenoids in the trans.. every gear shifts GREAT. like perfect except the 3-5 shift.. it feels like im getting rear ended.. it hits so hard when towing it makes the goose neck hitch move and rattle pretty bad.. I just changed fluids.. nothing weird in bottom of the pan or anything but holy hell its bad, only on the 3-5 though.. its using the GPZ Extreme rebuild kit so it has all the extra clutches. think I should go back to the normal direct solenoid? I don't really want to do that if it could be something else. it just a waste of fluid, trans tuner cant tune it out. tried factory 3-5 shift tunes, tried "less than" 3-5 tunes to soften it up and nothing.. its harsh harsh regardless..

thanks for any info yall can shed..

Richard

Decker

Reaction score
Upgraded solenoid have been spotty at best. Some have great experience others it just makes things worse. OEM solenoid be the best way to go.
I hated my upgraded solenoid and return back to OEM.

Last edited:

rjustman

Reaction score
We’re you having what I’m describing as almost a hit type of shift.. there’s nothing smooth about it. Sound about right?

Decker

Reaction score
I might not of been clear. I meant some people have luck with the upgraded solenoid others dont. Yes I did, almost as it slams into gear.

rjustman

Reaction score
replaced the solenoid with a factory solenoid and it was a night and day difference. truck shifts like it should.. the solenoid that was pulled out was an EPC solenoid with the locating tabs ground off so it fit in the direct solenoid slot.. ive heard that's what you get when you get an "upgraded" direct solenoid.. I believe it might work on a stock trans, but on a built unit, its to much solenoid.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.