Spun Bearing?

greyford1979

Reaction score
How do you guys go about replacing head studs without removing the heads? I know to do it one at a time in the proper sequence, just wasn't sure what torque spec to start out with. I'm assuming to start with the final torque number on the oe head bolts?

Zeb

Reaction score
How do you guys go about replacing head studs without removing the heads? I know to do it one at a time in the proper sequence, just wasn't sure what torque spec to start out with. I'm assuming to start with the final torque number on the oe head bolts?

I like to follow the factory torque pattern, and torque them to ARP’s spec. 125 ft lbs iirc.
The way I look at it, the OE bolts are tight, and when you install the stud and torque it it is like going to the next higher spec in the sequence.

greyford1979

Reaction score
I like to follow the factory torque pattern, and torque them to ARP’s spec. 125 ft lbs iirc.
The way I look at it, the OE bolts are tight, and when you install the stud and torque it it is like going to the next higher spec in the sequence.

Ok thanks! That's kinda what I figured. I just saw different but similar answers when I searched old google. Just wanted to make sure so that I don't have to redo it after I have the engine in the truck lol.

greyford1979

Reaction score
I finished swapping over pushrods and valve springs today so that I can get the engine in the truck tomorrow. I was spinning it over by hand to make sure the all the pushrods were moving and valves were opening and closing. Once I saw everything was ok, I installed my new glow plugs and decided to turn the engine over by hand again. Could barely turn it over. Removed glow plugs and turns over easily again. I'm assuming I still have quite a bit of oil in the cylinders? Thought I did a good job vaccing them out, but I'm guessing I didn't.

mandkole

Reaction score
Remove the GPs, put the valve covers back on and crank it. Insert a couple bolts in each cover because the oil can blow the covers off.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Remove the GPs, put the valve covers back on and crank it. Insert a couple bolts in each cover because the oil can blow the covers off.

I got the rest of it out. I was just stupid, I was trying to crank it with the regular short ratchet with the glow plugs in to make sure nothing was binding up. Worked much better with a longer one lol :doh:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I got the rest of it out. I was just stupid, I was trying to crank it with the regular short ratchet with the glow plugs in to make sure nothing was binding up. Worked much better with a longer one lol :doh:
Fyi, you can still bend stuff that way. Lol.

live life full throttle

greyford1979

Reaction score
Fyi, you can still bend stuff that way. Lol.

live life full throttle

Yeah I know lol. I just wanted to make sure I got it all back together properly. It's all good and ready to go in the truck, unfortunately my back is killing me and will be a no go till it feels better.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I’m a fan of doing a hot re torque on the head studs. Do as you please though.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Thats kinda how it's supposed to be done.Right on man!! That's always a good feeling!!

live life full throttle

Yeah it is, especially when you know you didn't hydrolock the motor lol. Can't wait to go for a good drive to get all the air out. She fired right back up though after I shut it off. Also only one little puff of smoke when it fired up.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Took it for the first test drive today for about 15-20 mins, just around the neighborhood. Don't have the front bumper on yet, so avoided going out on the main roads. Drives well, but forgot I have a new ICP pigtail I got swap out. Already have the new sensor in, old pigtail is full of oil. Idle is poo once up too temp unless I unplug the sensor. Also as I suspected before all this happened, my Adrenaline has a good sized leak.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well I changed the icp sensor pigtail. Still romps on idle, disconnect it and idles fine. Wonder if there's issues further in my engine harness? Bad new sensor? It is a Motorcraft, can't find my old one to see how it idles with that one. Also found my hpop leak. Loose hpop line, but I'll keep an I on that. Other than that, the rough idle with the icp sensor plugged is my only issue, which is pissing me off :fustrate:.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well I think I figured out my idle issue. IPR was bad. Replaced it today and truck is idling well after it's up to temp. Took it for a drive and was running well, no romping or surging, still idling well. Fires right back up when hot as well. Didn't get a chance to hook the laptop back up to it after swapping the IPR. Keeping my fingers crossed that's all that was wrong.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well I think I figured out my idle issue. IPR was bad. Replaced it today and truck is idling well after it's up to temp. Took it for a drive and was running well, no romping or surging, still idling well. Fires right back up when hot as well. Didn't get a chance to hook the laptop back up to it after swapping the IPR. Keeping my fingers crossed that's all that was wrong.
If idle changes when you unplug icp sensor then that means it is working. If no change that means it is already in default.

Hot start issue is common for a bad ipr solenoid. Next time it happens, if it does that is, pour a cold cup of water on the ipr solenoid then try to start it. That would have ruled that out way sooner..

live life full throttle

greyford1979

Reaction score
If idle changes when you unplug icp sensor then that means it is working. If no change that means it is already in default.

Hot start issue is common for a bad ipr solenoid. Next time it happens, if it does that is, pour a cold cup of water on the ipr solenoid then try to start it. That would have ruled that out way sooner..

live life full throttle

Cool I'll Keep that in mind. Just glad I got it figured out. I was just hoping there was no issues with the injectors I just picked up from Rosewood. Truck feels awesome now. Big thanks again to co04cobra and Rosewood Diesel, both awesome to deal with. Only thing that still has me pulling out my hair is the damn coolant filter. Ever since I got it I always has a small leak. Just a few drips, but drives me nuts.

Latest posts

Members online