160/100 vs 205/30 Injector Testing

jbolen323

Reaction score
So far have put 5000 miles across the turbo so far towing all over Arizona and even a run from New Mexico up to Fresno, Cali. Once we get down to the dyno for testing we will do a more official update post.

So far it seems to have a good amount of mid-top end pulling power. It basically seems to be a 200 rpm difference needed and maybe some tuning tweaks since we dialed them in for the smaller turbo on lockup shifts to keep the turbo happy. All in all basically its forcing the truck to drive 70mph instead of 65mph, which just don't care to honestly due during towing. I think its a good weekend warrior play setup for light- medium towing but not ideally the best for heavy hauling (which 95% of people aren't)

I personally like bigger turbos and think the tuner can just add a little extra fuel to compensate.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
So far have put 5000 miles across the turbo so far towing all over Arizona and even a run from New Mexico up to Fresno, Cali. Once we get down to the dyno for testing we will do a more official update post.

So far it seems to have a good amount of mid-top end pulling power. It basically seems to be a 200 rpm difference needed and maybe some tuning tweaks since we dialed them in for the smaller turbo on lockup shifts to keep the turbo happy. All in all basically its forcing the truck to drive 70mph instead of 65mph, which just don't care to honestly due during towing. I think its a good weekend warrior play setup for light- medium towing but not ideally the best for heavy hauling (which 95% of people aren't)

I personally like bigger turbos and think the tuner can just add a little extra fuel to compensate.

I think it is important to point out that those tuning tweaks are needed because it snuffs out the turbo when the converter locks, and you need to work a little more to keep the rpms up.

So... top end power increased, egts cooler at WOT on a race tune... but at a sacrifice for a little low end. Which is what is to be expected, just didn't want people thinking it is better in every way.

Jame is a big fan of turbos... but most of our "customer issues" come from being locked in OD at lower rpms struggling to tow.... which the BASB turbo does better at for sure. Just thought that was important to point out.

I still theorize that the s364.5 with big turbine or the s366 is gonna be the best of both worlds between towing, low rpms, and top end power.

Swaan

Reaction score
I think if you want better in every way you need to stick with the 64.5 and smaller chargers. 66mm and up you will be sacrificing bottom end. Big tires , tall gears and a manual trans all amplifie those symptoms.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I think if you want better in every way you need to stick with the 64.5 and smaller chargers. 66mm and up you will be sacrificing bottom end. Big tires , tall gears and a manual trans all amplifie those symptoms.

AMEN!

I hate getting the calls from guys with stick shift, 160/100s, 40" tires, stock gears, lifted, dp tuner, and wanting a smoke free setup that tows great and runs cool in all areas of the rpm range.

akcooper9

Reaction score
AMEN!

I hate getting the calls from guys with stick shift, 160/100s, 40" tires, stock gears, lifted, dp tuner, and wanting a smoke free setup that tows great and runs cool in all areas of the rpm range.

And a KC drop in is the answer...right?!LOL

Swaan

Reaction score
I tell you one thing. I wish KC had these s300 based Garrett drop ins when I was doing my truck. Would of made life way easier and cheaper.!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
AMEN!

The sad part is that a bone stock 7.3 with factory tuning wont even accomplish that. Especially an obs..

it's scary to watch a pyro on a stock setup while towing...

live life full throttle

TMCCOY

Reaction score
I'm most of the way through a 3K trip towing our fiver and a bunch of stuff from NC down to NM and am in Utah right now and have nothing but glowing reviews for the 366SXE with .91 AR and 1023 Street Shredder tune. Ample power and rpm controls EGT easily.

On the subject of PIS 175/80, they are performing well, but I am seeing significant oil consumption on this trip I haven't seen before. We are about 2k miles into this trip and I've added nearly a gallon of oil. Truck runs fine, cap stays on the oil fill, no blue smoke. I wonder if the injectors may be consuming oil?

mike_hurd2000

Reaction score
I'm most of the way through a 3K trip towing our fiver and a bunch of stuff from NC down to NM and am in Utah right now and have nothing but glowing reviews for the 366SXE with .91 AR and 1023 Street Shredder tune. Ample power and rpm controls EGT easily.

On the subject of PIS 175/80, they are performing well, but I am seeing significant oil consumption on this trip I haven't seen before. We are about 2k miles into this trip and I've added nearly a gallon of oil. Truck runs fine, cap stays on the oil fill, no blue smoke. I wonder if the injectors may be consuming oil?

The injectors could be using some oil check your fuel filter for signs of oil. If you do find oil in there you have either bad o rings on a injector or it is a internal problem in one of the injectors. The only other thing it could be is either a external leak or the turbo using oil from my experience owning and working on 7.3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeTo

Reaction score
I tell you one thing. I wish KC had these s300 based Garrett drop ins when I was doing my truck. Would of made life way easier and cheaper.!

I got an s300 in January and have about 4000 miles with it, including the trip back to NE Wisconsin from SW Arizona. Plenty of hills and elevations over 7500 feet. I love the damn thing and I'm completely satisfied with how the truck performs. It's a night and day difference from the 38r. That being said, would a BW 300 frame sxe perform better? Maybe/probably??? I don't give a damn though; the the truck does what I NEED it to do and does it well.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

What oil are you using and how many miles on the oci?

live life full throttle

TMCCOY

Reaction score
Normally am using Triax synthetic and I use 5k-6k intervals depending on how much I tow. This go I went to a Ford quick lube and had the oil changed a day before the trip. They used Motorcraft 15W40. I've been topping off with Triax.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Normally am using Triax synthetic and I use 5k-6k intervals depending on how much I tow. This go I went to a Ford quick lube and had the oil changed a day before the trip. They used Motorcraft 15W40. I've been topping off with Triax.
Wtf is triax? Lol...

Oh lord. 15w40 motorcraft is not a good oil. Lol.. that chit didnt last 1500 miles in my dually before i dumped it out.

live life full throttle

jbolen323

Reaction score
we have been super busy with UCC & Rudy's and getting ready to head out to the 7.3 Jambroee. We just threw it out the dyno the other day after about 10,000 miles of towing and driving across the southwest. We will get a write up and review after the 7.3 jamboree and more data posted. Truck will be going down a s366-sxe now.

I will let Charlie post up the results, there was roughly around a 40hp jump I think.

I think it was 470hp - 520hp on just a direct swap of the sxe369 from a 364.5 (bell basb). Same tunes, same everything no tune revisions on any of these. The KC 300x drop in turbo did 500hp again as well with the same injectors and same exact tunes.

Last edited:

jbolen323

Reaction score
Well we are currently on a s364.5 sxe now, blew out a bellow out at the 7.3 jamboree hosted by Irate, luckily everything lined up for that to fail ironically half way across the country at this event.

Latest posts

Members online