2010 6.4 Newbie

Ship4Brains

Reaction score
I just sold a LBZ Duramax and have been looking at picking up an extremely clean 2010 6.4 lariat with 31k on the odometer. Bone stock besides a 5th wheel hitch. What all would you do to make it a reliable 500-600 hp daily driver? I have heard how nasty these 6.4s can be but I am not sure what the motor or trans will hold as I have always been a duramax guy. I am use to the ol Allison limp mode lol. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black AOD

Reaction score
Head Studs, Mild Trans, dletes, tuning, intake/exhaust, and keep up on fuel and oil changes.

6.4's tend to crack pistons. Rocker Arm wear is also common. Just things to think about.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
straight pipe exhaust/ get rid of the d/p/f/ tunes/ intake and your done w/ 560-580 whp

trans will be fine for awhile

tunes just depends on preference

08Monster

Reaction score
Call up Mike@No Limit. He will set you up with everything you need and answer any questions. I'm sure he will chime in soon. Those 6.4s are MEAN on a tune only, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the power.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
...and not so pleasantly surprised by the repair bills.

Ship4Brains

Reaction score
Are the 6.7's better then the 6.4's as far as reliability with performance mods?

Black AOD

Reaction score
Are the 6.7's better then the 6.4's as far as reliability with performance mods?

6.7's have trans from factory that last quiter a bit longer at 600HP than the old 5Rs from the 6.4 days. They have 6 head bolts per cylinder. Cylinder head issues are virtually non existent compared to the old 6.4's. Spool up due to the reverse flow motor is amazing. Fuel system is much better. They don't crack pistons. Like 08Monster said, WAY better.

Ship4Brains

Reaction score
So what hp is a 6.7 most reliable past stock? I know once you go past stock your are playing with fire. What about the trans? What are the weak points and usually at what hp? Is it better to get a 2013 or 2014? Not sure what changes were made and I can prob only afford a 14 model. Not wanting to spend more then 40k

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
So what hp is a 6.7 most reliable past stock? I know once you go past stock your are playing with fire. What about the trans? What are the weak points and usually at what hp? Is it better to get a 2013 or 2014? Not sure what changes were made and I can prob only afford a 14 model. Not wanting to spend more then 40k

under 700 seems to be working for some with good tuning. It is achievable a number of ways but will require dual fuel plus a turbo setup of your choice.

Black AOD

Reaction score
Past 650HP on a 6.7 you need to consider better connecting rods. Trans is needed at about the same power levels if you want it to last. 13/14 same truck honestly.

Ship4Brains

Reaction score
So not much difference from what the LML dmax is capable of. Besides the trans lol

Ship4Brains

Reaction score
From what I have read the rods are holding a little longer on the LML but that is on borrowed time.

Latest posts

Members online