Help me decide between two trucks

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
Ok so I think I'm ready to take the leap into a 6.7 I've had 7.3's for years and love them to death but they don't tow my trailer how I'd hope. Mostly on the brakes.

My trailer is a 40ft enclosed that put an early bronco and jeep in and tow all over the Rockies and occasionally out of state to Cali and even Tennessee Kentucky. It weighs right at 20k with a 5000lb pin weight.

Current truck is bone stock e99 7.3 zf6 4x4 cclb single rear wheel. Does fine on the up hills but is a struggle to keep slowed down. 1st gear and alot of brakes. I know I couldn't panic stop it if I had too which is my problem.

So I'm looking at two trucks

#1 2015 f450 4x4 cclb xl work truck. Not cab and chassis though it's a truck. Power windows but that's it. It has 90k on it. One owner, Service records every 3k since new. Pulled an oasis and it's only been in twice. Once for a map sensor and PCM replacement and the other for a tsb.

It came from South Dakota and has seen dirt roads alot, but no rust. Has a gooseneck hitch that's clearly been used alot. It's in excellent shape. Drives perfect runs great. I like it.

Truck #2 2016 f350 cclb, single rear wheel 4x4, lariat fully loaded.40k on it, one owner (one of my customers) never towed heavy been used mostly around town for his handyman business. Again great shape nice truck I like too. Never been back to Ford since new.

I have a daily driver so I don't drive the truck alot. Mostly some around town stuff and hauling trailers locally. Occasionally home Depot runs ect and then I tow that beast of a trailer 4-5 times a year. I know the 450 is best for that but the miles on it scare me a bit and I'm giving up the creature comforts the 350 has plus dealing with a dually which I don't really want, other then for the 4-5 times a year I have the trailer.

I run a small shop locally and do all my own work but I'm trying to buy a newer truck simply because I don't have time to work on my 7.3 anymore and I think a newer truck (either one) will tow the trailer better.

Both trucks cost the same. 40k each

Opinions?

Thanks David

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

psduser1

Reaction score
Ahh, I missed that with truck #1. Thought that was a single cab , for some reason.
#2 has a better package, and better miles.
No more than you seem to be towing heavy, the lariat would be my pick, hands down.

renegade

Reaction score
With 5000#'s of pin I think you would be over on payload on a SRW. The F450 might not be as fancy but would probably handle your trailer better.

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
You are correct. My trailer is over weight for a srw truck. If I went that route I plan on buying a specific size tire that has a 4000lb per tire rating. I have been towing this trailer for 4 years with a srw and no issues. Not saying it's right just what I have been doing. I check tires often and keep good tires on my trucks. I'm sure the 450 will handle the trailer better but with only 4-5 times a year I'm just not sure the 450 is justified. I'm told the 15+ trucks with the better brakes and exhaust brake do wonders for slowing heavy trailers down. I'm just curious how much better/safer is the 450. I've been driving the 450 all day and really like it. It's a very nice truck. I have to either buy it or give it back Monday morning.

When I last weighed my trailer the truck rear axle was 7800lbs.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I was in the same boat. I was going to get a '16 SRW and I'm glad I didn't. The DRW truck hands downs. Do not get the SRW truck. I thought the same thing, I only do a few trips a year

My '97 is a SRW and was towing a 34' enclosed GN trailer with race and golf cart. I came in at almost 21k. As you can see in my sig, the '97 is modded.
Did the '97 do it...sure with no problems. Did it brake well....yes. But if I had to make a evasive maneuver, the pucker factor became present. At the end of my trip, I was worn out.

Then I got my '16 F350 DRW.....holy ****, what a difference. Didn't notice the trailer was back there. Handled curves on the highway so much better, the stability was awesome.

I still own the '97.

With a 7800 rear axle weight, what tire do you have that is rated for almost 4000lbs?

Once you tow with a DRW, you will never tow with a SRW ever again.

Before:
4mn35cP.jpg

After:
H6wI2SN.jpg

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Cooper, mastercraft, nitto, toyo, patherfinder all make tires that are 4080 lbs per tire. Load range 129 I think. Most of the tires are the 295/75/18 variety. I had only found 2 that were in 20 inch wheel. I have the mastercraft cxt and they have been great. However recently i have been give a set of pathfinder at from a dicount tire guy to try out. They handle better and ride better than the mastercraft. And they are $220 a tire with a 50k tread warranty.

Last edited:

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
Did the '97 do it...sure with no problems. Did it brake well....yes. But if I had to make a evasive maneuver, the pucker factor became present. At the end of my trip, I was worn out.

Once you tow with a DRW, you will never tow with a SRW ever again.

These two things are what keep bringing me back to the 450. I always like to Overkill things. And for the last 3 years I've been on the ragged edge towing this trailer and it's very stressful, which is not what I want after a 10hr day of 4wheeling and I just made it back to the truck at 10pm and now have a 2hr drive home.

I have read over and over that once you tow with a drw you will love it, but I keep resisting just because I've never felt like I needed one but the weight scale doesn't lie. Again the 295 tires would be right at their limit. The wheels are only 3500 pounds each on a srw and the rear axle is also not rated for that.

I guess I'm a worry wort and ive been lucky that I haven't had to panic stop or evasive manuver while towing. But what happens when I do in the srw? I look under this 450 and marvel at the Spicer 110 axle massive brakes and 19.5 tires. It all just says beef! Not to mention I'm actually legal if something did happen while towing with the 450. One of my friends asked what insurance would do if they found out what I was towing when the wreck happened and I honestly don't know. Can't they deny the whole claim if I'm over weight?

The miles scare me a bit. This is the most money I've ever spent on a vehicle and I keep reading horror stories of cp4's exploding and costing 10grand. The 450 has another year of warranty and then it would get *****.

My wife is concerned about resale with the 450 if I don't like it. Thinks the lariat would be easier to sell and I agree but I don't plan on selling anytime soon. I've had my 7.3 for 10yrs and if it wasn't for this trailer I'd probably not get rid of it so I keep trucks along time.

I don't care for all the fancy crap in the lariat. All I see is expensive seats, stereo, and HVAC controls that will probably break and cost me alot to fix. I like the package the 450 has, but again harder to sell if needed. Idk what the demand for 450's is everyone wants a lariat 350.

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
Oh and the turning radius on this 450 is ridiculous. I always read it was better but this is not what I expected. I thought it was just hype. It's honestly making driving a dually much easier to live with. I'm used to my 99 and this can pull a u turn at least 7-8 feet smaller.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Yes the turning radius is amazing! I tow a toy hauler and my pin weight is 2700 lbs so I stuck with a srw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Dirtclod

Reaction score
19 1/2” tires 18 ply is the ticket imo. Every tire I’ve bought for my truck has had separated or broken belts by 25k miles. 16” e rated 10 ply,cooper,Firestone,Goodyear all different sizes,315/75,285/75305/70 none worth a crap. But like you I have too much tounge weight. I’m going with a lighter fifth wheel from a heavy pull behind,I’m still thinking drw especially if I get a 11-16,that’s a sweet looking ride there in Black and 450 with semi rims, looks like it could eat a Volkswagen.

doo dah

Reaction score
Get the 450. I have 2012 SRW 350 and love the way it tows plus it is a Lariat so very luxury car like on the inside but if I had to tow any more than I do now I'd want the dually. My pin weight is less than 4k and trailer is right at 15k so not overloaded but would be nice to have the extra leverage of two extra tires/wheels.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
19 1/2” tires 18 ply is the ticket imo. Every tire I’ve bought for my truck has had separated or broken belts by 25k miles. 16” e rated 10 ply,cooper,Firestone,Goodyear all different sizes,315/75,285/75305/70 none worth a crap. But like you I have too much tounge weight. I’m going with a lighter fifth wheel from a heavy pull behind,I’m still thinking drw especially if I get a 11-16,that’s a sweet looking ride there in Black and 450 with semi rims, looks like it could eat a Volkswagen.
19.5 tires are 12 or 14 ply.They are not offered in 18 ply

dmd

Reaction score
Also, the trailer brakes may need to be looked at. It should be able to stop itself mostly.

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
Also, the trailer brakes may need to be looked at. It should be able to stop itself mostly.
I keep hearing people say this and I've been towing trailers for 20yrs now and not once had a trailer that would "stop itself" on a mountain pass. My goal with this truck is to have something with the exhaust brake and transmission that can maintain a speed in mountains without constantly using brakes to slow down. I've had trailers fry brakes half way down passes and that made for an interesting ride.......

That being said and after considering why I really want this new truck and how much my safety means to me I started paperwork on the 450 today.

Thank you very much for all the information!!!! I'll be posting pics soon.

GregWork

Reaction score
I think you made the right choice. If you weren't towing so heavy, the Lariat would be a no brainer, but given 5K pin in the mountains....450 was the better option.

ford_trck

Reaction score
I think you made the right choice. Just reading your first post in the thread I said 450. It isn't your daily driver and safety in mountains is always an issue I think. Go for a truck that is made to handle it all. As far as options go I agree, the more crap it has the more crap that can break. If you want something there is great aftermarket support for anything now a days.

Latest posts

Members online