Think I lifted the heads or cracked one...need help!!

hunter_deal

Reaction score
Just got my truck back together 2 weeks ago. S369sxe, mpd 205/100’s, driven reg return, sinister coolant filtration, mishimoto aluminum, new standpipes, dummy plugs, icp, ipr, hpop, new heater core. Has afe intake and 4 inch, arp studs, ******d, revmax stage 4 full billet triple. Running ********s full fuel tune. Haven’t gone full throttle until last night. Know the truck needs an oil cooler after a few long highway drives. Left in 2wd at maybe 3-4 psi and spun (obviously) and hit the rev limiter (4400) and it neutraled out, put it in neutral and back in drive and it seemed fine. Driving back to the house I put it on the floor from maybe 45-90. Checked today and coolant is a little low but didn’t blow out degas bottle but also smells like it’s got fuel in it. What do y’all think?? Need honest opinions please!!

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Need to pressurize the cooling system without oil and see if any coolant comes out of oil pan.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
If youve got fuel in the water, the heads are cracked. Bulletproof makes a deal to seal them up, but from what ive heard, its hit or miss. Other option is new heads. Make sure there is actually fuel in the coolant before doing anything crazy though.

hunter_deal

Reaction score
Say hypothetically speaking, the heads are cracked, what kinda time do I have driving it before it really hurts the motor? I drive it maybe 10 miles a day during the week and then all weekend. Do I have time to drive it that much while I save up to do heads and all that Jazz?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
You'll end up tearing apart the front cover to change the gasket if you leave fuel in the coolant.

Also every single hose will be junk.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
^whs. I change all the hoses, thermostat, water pump, degas and cap any way. But the longer the fuel is in there, the more damage to rubber stuff there will be. Oil cooler seals, to where youll have oil in the coolant as well, front cover gasket, radiator tank o rings will all deteriorate very quickly. When my heads cracked, i got it done about 2 weeks after noticing the fuel in the coolant and did everything except my radiator. A month after putting the new heads on, radiator started leaking. You will need to flush the system with simple green as well before replacing the hoses and stuff, but after replacingthe heads, to get all the fuel residue out of the system.

eagle7455

Reaction score
I would check to make sure your injector cups aren't leaking before going for the full head swap..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Is there any scenario where the head isn’t cracked?

There is a tsb for this. Apparently, according to ford, the head cracks causing this, they do not recommend replacing cups, but you could give that a shot as they do still sell cups.

Pull all he injectors, plug the hole for the injector tip, pressurize the cooling system and spray each cup and surrounding with soapy water

hunter_deal

Reaction score
So I’ve driven the truck maybe 15 miles here and there around town and I’ve noticed it feeling like it’s lacking a lot of power. Feeling hesistant and what not. What are the symptoms of a cracked injector cup vs a cracked head? Anything in particular I should look for to determine which it is before I tear it down?

Latest posts

Members online