Lost Most Oil and Died. Oil Leaking Around LPOP

ToMang07

Reaction score
Help...Lost Most Oil and Died. Oil Leaking Around LPOP

Just need to bounce this off better versed fellow PSD folks.

Driving home last night in sub-zero temps, truck idled for a few minutes, (died when I tried to start it a couple times before it ran) and I left for home driving easy. Made it about 7-8 miles, started idling rough and died. I get out and the whole front of the engine bay is just coated with oil. Nothing on the top end or valley. Fan/belt/pullys/battery/CAC pipes, everything in front just coated. Had it towed home.

Today I went to Walmart and got a few big jugs of Delo, put 3.5 gallons in and tried to crank it. At first it didn't leak but as the HPO got filled up it started to run down under the main engine pulley, where the LPOP is. When I got under it with a light and camera, you can see it coming out of the front side of the pulley, not the block side.

Is this the LPOP seal gone out?

Last edited:

ToMang07

Reaction score
Also the HPOP Res is full.

9cb915bcff5038b3d45f5c88798f7dba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Did you have a wear sleeve? Did something get wrapped around there to destroy the seal?

ToMang07

Reaction score
No idea on the sleeve, and nothing in aware of

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Gonna have to take harmonic balancer off, then the lpop, then look at the oil seal to see what it looks like. Make sure the lpop is without damage. The seal seals on the harmonic balancer so you may need a wear sleeve now.

Arisley

Reaction score
If you use a wear sleeve, throw the harmonic balancer in the freezer to make it smaller, put the wear sleeve in the oven to make it bigger. Slide it on fast. Remember to wear good gloves.

ToMang07

Reaction score
If you use a wear sleeve, throw the harmonic balancer in the freezer to make it smaller, put the wear sleeve in the oven to make it bigger. Slide it on fast. Remember to wear good gloves.
NAPA was useless. No clue what I was talking about, so I just rented the tools and left.

Picked up a new Melling LPOP at advance. I'll tear it apart tomorrow and take pics to determine what's next. Hopefully it's just the LPOP.

Barnbuilder

Reaction score
I read several years ago not to use the deal from selling. It will leak. Need to use a factory seal. Anyone else have any idea?

ToMang07

Reaction score
Well, I believe I found the issue. 2/4 10mm bolts that hold the LPOP on weren't even finger tight. And 1 of the clock pins was missing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.