Do I need a new turbo?

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
I've been experiencing some low boost issues, excessive black smoke and high egts. I have suspected the turbo vanes were sticking. I finally pulled it today and the unison ring was stuck. I had to pry it with a screwdriver to get it off.

The backing plate where the unison rings sits is rusted and pitted.

The vanes move freely and both wheels spin freely.

Is it salvageable? If not what are my options?

Truck has about 140K on it.

Found a guy on Ebay selling an upgraded cover, wheel and backing plate.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Stay away from the ebay chinese junk.

Depending on how bad it is, i have a srewdriver with the end ground down to be like a chjsel. I use that to knock the heavy stuff off, then take a scotch brite pad on a die grinder to them to finish cleaning until the ring moves freely on the center housing and when you put downward pressure on the vanes and use the unison ring to move them, there is no binding. If it is pitted pretty bad, or the rust buildup wont come out of the turbine housing, you may need a new turbo.

Charlie with kc turbos is my go to. His turbos run great and spool quick. The stage 2 dual ball bearing spools like a stocker, and pulls for a long time.

6l_nick

Reaction score
Had similar problem with my 06. black smoke, low boost and higher temp but my turbo would also make a terrible screech. Had the charger pulled out and taken apart and sure enough it was completely blown.

06 king ranch 6" lift 37" toyo open country r/t 4" turbo back egr ****** s366 borgwarner 190/100 injectors fass 220 intercooler charge pipes afe intake

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
Mine isnt blown that I can tell.

I knew something was up because I would be driving along maintaining my speed and all of a sudden you can hear the turbo start whistling as if it wasnt previously moving any air. I think that is the sound of the vanes being stuck and then suddeny opening.

Latest posts

Members online