2003 HPOP without breaking the bank

F350-6

Reaction score
The 03 manifold (that is also on the early 04 engines) has a solid crossover tube at the back. This is what causes you to have to remove the intake manifold / EGR cooler to get to the HPOP. More work.

Note - HPOP Cover removal (cut the silicon when removing the cover). Add a dab when replacing the cover. Do this at the corner of the HPOP where it connects to the branch tubes. If you don't you will have an oil leak.

Thanks. I saw the RTV when I pulled the cover and my first thought was it had been replaced before. What's the reasoning behind only needing a dab in the corners and the gasket works the rest of the way around? Is something machined wrong? Doesn't make much sense as to why most of the gasket works but not all of it, but I won't argue and will apply the RTV. I'll likely have a tendency to put more on than needed, but will take care to keep it a very small bead that stays on or outside the o-ring to avoid pieces getting inside the oil supply.

EGR isn't going back in and she's saving her pennies for the Adrenaline, so the manifold is most definitely out of budget.

bismic

Reaction score
Just use an oil resistant and high temp RTV. All you need is a dab at the corners.

scparrish

Reaction score
You have to put rtv there due to the back plate and the motor having a very slight height difference which causes a sort of step off. The rtv makes up for it. I always assumes some engineer made a mistake but I don't know for certain.

A used manifold can be had for under $100 but it isn't really a must have just a future convinience.

scparrish

Reaction score
You have to put rtv there due to the back plate and the motor having a very slight height difference which causes a sort of step off. The rtv makes up for it. I always assumes some engineer made a mistake but I don't know for certain.

A used manifold can be had for under $100 but it isn't really a must have just a future convinience.

Extended Power

Reaction score
I swapped everything over to the newer pump.
Needed the rails, injector rail boxes, pump, etc.
Easy to do, and plenty of them around...just buy a new pump, and clean everything to surgically clean.

F350-6

Reaction score
I haven't taken a close look, but now that I know the EGR cooler won't be going back in, I did glance under the hood to see how hard/easy it would be to remove the passenger side up pipe.

Just glancing at it, it appears to have a heat shield tack welded to the pipe. I guess just pop that off and I'll eventually see whatever clamps hold the pipe in place? I assume the heat shield isn't needed on the replacement pipe, or should I try and re-install it?

shmoozer

Reaction score
No to hijack, but does anyone know when Ford actually switched from the 03-04 style pump to the 05-07? Is there a specific build date?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shmoozer

Reaction score
I haven't taken a close look, but now that I know the EGR cooler won't be going back in, I did glance under the hood to see how hard/easy it would be to remove the passenger side up pipe.

Just glancing at it, it appears to have a heat shield tack welded to the pipe. I guess just pop that off and I'll eventually see whatever clamps hold the pipe in place? I assume the heat shield isn't needed on the replacement pipe, or should I try and re-install it?

As far as I know you won't need the heat shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
Your post brings up the question as to why were you installing an HPOP in the first place?

Again - the reliability of the 05 and up OEM pumps are quite good. VERY, VERY few examples of failure - even after 250k+ miles. Not so for the early pumps. Shops generally have a 1-2 yr warranty. That is not an acceptable life for an HPOP. If I had an HPOP fail in 2 yrs after a shop put one in, then I wouldn't take it back to that shop. IMO you get a better picture of reliability (in this case) from the forums. Especially if you are tuned.
Were talking about 03 pumps
Also, the 03 and early 04 engines have the PIA intake manifold that adds a lot of labor as well.
it can be cheated believe it or not
Here is the only thread I saved on Bosch HPOP's. It was a favorable post, but it is only one.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/858562-best-hpop.html

Edit - here is a thread on the 03 - 04 HPOP. Note m-chan68's (a very talented Ford Tech) comments on how easy the 03 and early 04 HPOP install is .....
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/67527-high-pressure-oil-pump-04-6-0-a.html

Also - there are numerous threads like this one across the forums.
http://www.powerstrokenation.com/fo...o/483257-multiple-oil-pump-failure-6-0-a.html

I like this article as well (again - on the swash plate design, not the piston style pump):
http://www.powerstrokehub.com/6.0-power-stroke-problems.html

Im very firmiliar with the differences of an 03/04 hpop and an 05+. Ive worked on these trucks in a power stroke specialty shop for the last 9 years.

F350-6

Reaction score
Follow up question, do I need to change the o-ring/gasket on the HPOP cover, or can I re-use the old one (I know about the RTV in the corners).

Also, turbo drain tube o-rings? Change out or leave alone? And last, the internatl o-ring in the STC fitting (03 truck). If there's no visual issue, do I need to dig it out and find a replacement? If so, anyone have a part number? Google leads me to the 05 and up STC issues.

Reaction score
Follow up question, do I need to change the o-ring/gasket on the HPOP cover, or can I re-use the old one (I know about the RTV in the corners).

Also, turbo drain tube o-rings? Change out or leave alone? And last, the internatl o-ring in the STC fitting (03 truck). If there's no visual issue, do I need to dig it out and find a replacement? If so, anyone have a part number? Google leads me to the 05 and up STC issues.

O rings and gaskets are cheap and in stock at your local Ford dealer, just change them. They should also have the early STC fitting in stock. If it has a ton of play it won't hurt to change it. I think they're like $130.

F350-6

Reaction score
O rings and gaskets are cheap and in stock at your local Ford dealer, just change them. They should also have the early STC fitting in stock. If it has a ton of play it won't hurt to change it. I think they're like $130.

The STC fitting didn't have a lot of slop in it. Do they sell just the internal o-ring, or is it only the piece that bolts on top of the HPOP and snaps in that they sell?

And I understand gaskets can be cheap, but the rubber valve cover gaskets seem to hold up rather well and there's no reason to replace them every time a valve cover gasket is pulled. That's the reason I asked.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I replafe the hpop cover gasket every time the cover is off. It is not a reuseable gasket like the valve covers and trans pan gaskets. Those have metal reinforcements in them to make them reuseable.

F350-6

Reaction score
New gasket came in today. Guess I now have something else to do this weekend.

F350-6

Reaction score
Yes it's running. She ended up short on cash so we got the replacement Bosch HPOP that supposedly (and appeared to) come with a new case as well as internals. Some new gaskets, o-rings, a new pigtail for the alternator and IPR, and it's running better than it has in a couple of years she says. Only problem was I forgot to put the EGR back in.

Luckily I found some stuff to bolt in place to keep it from leaking. And while there is no CEL, for some reason I get a bunch of EGR codes when I scan the truck.:pimp:

Latest posts

Members online