2003 6.0 gear on HPOP came loose, metal in oil

bigfords

Reaction score
Ok got an interesting truck in the shop. 2003 6.0, no start, found only 65 psi of ICP pressure. Removed turbo and air checked...ok but sounded a little excessive at HPOP. Pulled pump out and found bolt loose, and gear loose.
There is a significant amount of metal in the oil.
Do you think the metal came from the pump, or did the metal take out the pump? Looks like bearing material to me, but customer didn't think engine was knocking or sounded bad when it shut down.
We replaced the pump and the truck fired and ran, but engine did not sound good, had a growl type sound. Now we have ICP issues again after running it a short time, maybe 3 to 5 minutes.
Worked on 100s of these but havnt seen this before...any help/ experience?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ghohouston

Reaction score
Everything now has metal in it. The hpop, ipr, injectors, the lpop, the low pressure oil system, who knows what the metal has done to the bearings, turbo, etc... I think it can go either way on the cause of failure. Can you tell what type of metal it is?

sootie

Reaction score
get another motor and swap it. Had exactly the same scenario but lasted a hair longer before repeat icp issues. Growl turned into a bottom end knock and smoked a ton of blue out the back.

bigfords

Reaction score
It is hard to tell, but looks like bearings to me. I agree about swapping the engine, just trying to find root cause before I make that recommendation.

webb06

Reaction score
It is hard to tell, but looks like bearings to me. I agree about swapping the engine, just trying to find root cause before I make that recommendation.

Might be worth trying to change the oil a few times trying to get the metal out. I guess you'd probably have to change out the hpop again.

Was the gear completely off the pump or just loose? Was the pump locked up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigfords

Reaction score
Pump was not locked up, but definitely a little harder to turn than the new pump, by hand.
I keep having to swap IPRs to keep it running, guessing the metal is plugging screen or just causing valve to stick open.

bigfords

Reaction score
Gear was just hanging on back of pump, bolt still had a few threads left.

Latest posts

Members online