Anyone ever seen this?

webb06

Reaction score
Truck came in as a no start after it has been to a local dealer for the same problem over the last 6 months. On IDS sync and ficm sync were not together. Sync would go to YES after 2-3 seconds of cranking but ficm sync would never show until randomly the truck would start and after running ficm sync goes to YES. Didn't run the best and white smoked quite a bit.

Ohmed all the wiring, swapped cam and crank sensors, swapped pcm and ficm even though they were new. Finally used a boroscope and looked inside the cam sensor hole and noticed the pin on the camshaft wasn't centered in the hole.

Pulled the turbo and hpop off to find the camshaft has excessive endplay. Pulled the trans to find the cam gear is loose on the shaft and moves in and out. Pulled the cam gear off and found there was an indention in the keyway allowing the engine to get out of time and not start.

Pulled the cab, heads, and camshaft. Put on a used gear and tacked it on. Put it all back together and it runs like a champ. You can see where the exhaust valves kissed every piston but the customer wasn't up for replacing them so we let it ride. All the valves were seating fine and surprisingly the heads weren't cracked.

Here's a few pics to enjoy
8949a9524c6cf56843091cbbfa463126.jpg
9b16e3ef62a65a95be4f201866aaa72f.jpg
732b5f1f30d7c93cc1dba90db56c6afe.jpg
9de3406c0dd26f12858b8722f4388032.jpg
61ded43f9b4eca29ae9f161f997dd387.jpg
ef0fcaf6d50d432c5f0f9ad4fe924d55.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad_company

Reaction score
the truck being out of time effects ficm sync? how is that?
(this is probably a stupid reply but idk enough about how everything works on a 6.0... I know enough to fix my own some times lol that's about it)

webb06

Reaction score
the truck being out of time effects ficm sync? how is that?
(this is probably a stupid reply but idk enough about how everything works on a 6.0... I know enough to fix my own some times lol that's about it)

Cam and crank signals are sent to the pcm for sync, the pcm send those signals to the ficm so it knows when to properly fire each injector for ficm sync. They both have to be "in time" for the engine to run in properly and be "in sync"

Bad_company

Reaction score
Cam and crank signals are sent to the pcm for sync, the pcm send those signals to the ficm so it knows when to properly fire each injector for ficm sync. They both have to be "in time" for the engine to run in properly and be "in sync"

Gotcha... I guess that should have been common knowledge... I just figured they were separate systems...thanks

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.