About to upgrade from 7.3 to a 6.7

RichieRich

Reaction score
Good morning all! I’ve had a 2003 7.3 now for about 4 years and love the truck...only thing is my truck hates my new fifth wheel so I’m considering upgrading to a 2014/2015 F350 Lariat that my buddy is selling. My truck currently has 123k on the clock and runs great. The new truck has 60k on the clock and is in pretty great condition. But I have. A couple of quick questions
1. There seems to be some confusion about the year of the truck, it is a very late 14 but supposedly it is built like a 15...what are the main differences between the years? Turbo, seats...?
2. With 60k on the truck, what should I be looking for? I know on the 7.3 you look for blow by, leaks in the valley etc...
3. Am I stupid for considering getting rid of a perfectly great 7.3?
Thanks guys

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
The 2015 models have a better fuel pump and turbo. Other than that not much difference. What year is the truck registered as? Does it have the exhaust brake button? If not its a 14'. There's nothing really to look for these trucks are very very solid. I came from an 2003 F-350 dually with a freshly built motor, hpop, hybrid injectors, rings, and t4 turbo setup. Bought a toyhauler and after a 8 hour trip i felt mentally and physically worn out. Hawk eyeing the gauges taking it in and out of overdrive. Not being able to talk to other passengers was terrible. Then i got a deal i couldnt pass up on a 6.7 15 model and hands down no question in towing capability and Power. Push the tow haul button push the exhaust brake button put it in Drive. You can go 80 miles an hour if you want to no watching over gauges and worrying about everything. I tow a 44ft toyhauler that weighs 16k. Effortless is the word you are looking for. I get 9-11 mpg towing. Unloaded 18-22 mpg depending on mix driving. I have been dewete waiting on it when i got it home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
What he said ^^^^. Night and day difference and not really worth hanging on to the 7.3. At 60K, probably getting closer to brakes and need to replace the plastic intercooler pipe with one of these https://hs-motorsports.com/misc-products/11-16-ford-6-7l-intercooler-upgrade-kit-oem.html. They can crack at the worst time, so cheap insurance. Otherwise, get in and drive. Always put good fuel in it. They really don't like water in the fuel and gets really expensive to repair.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
They all are great, but the 15+ trucks have better turbo and fuel system. Definitely do the intercooler boot upgrade and don't look back. These trucks are flat out awesome. Let me know when you get it and need some parts for it!!!

Petro

Reaction score
I agree everything these guys have said, the 6.7 is an awesome platform for reliability and towing. With that being said, is your current truck tuned? If not, a simple custom tuned chip can make a WORLD of difference when it comes to towing with a 7.3. Since you love the truck now, a simple set of custom tunes may make it tow well enough to change your mind. Just food for thought. Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Stick with 7.3...

You don't want to be one of those "I wish I hadn't sold my ole tree!"

farm boy

Reaction score
Good morning all! I’ve had a 2003 7.3 now for about 4 years and love the truck...only thing is my truck hates my new fifth wheel so I’m considering upgrading to a 2014/2015 F350 Lariat that my buddy is selling. My truck currently has 123k on the clock and runs great. The new truck has 60k on the clock and is in pretty great condition. But I have. A couple of quick questions
1. There seems to be some confusion about the year of the truck, it is a very late 14 but supposedly it is built like a 15...what are the main differences between the years? Turbo, seats...?
2. With 60k on the truck, what should I be looking for? I know on the 7.3 you look for blow by, leaks in the valley etc...
Thanks guys

I was in the same boat you were. I bought a 38' toy hauler and the ole 7.3 hated life in front of that thing on the hills and the 7.3 has plenty of upgrades.

I just bought a used 6.7 Dually and its a night and day difference. The 2 extra gears make a world of difference towing and its nice and quiet inside even when pulling the RV. I say grab the 6.7 and don't look back.

I did keep the 7.3 tho for using around the farm. I cant seem to part with it.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
The factory part connects from the cold side intercooler pipe to the engine with a big plastic adapter and goofy wire clip. After awhile they get brittle and break even in a stock truck. Heck i have seen a 6.7 with 20k miles blow one out. H and s, Maryland desel performance, rudys, etc all sell them. They are made for either a stock or tuned truck. Make sure you get the right one.

powerstrokelyfe

Reaction score
6.7's are solid trucks. Very reliable. Look for maintenance records, use quality oil and filters & regular changes, and the truck will last a long time. As for blowby, they have quite a bit from the factory, get an oasis report and compression test.

Keep the 7.3 as a farm/work truck if you can :)

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Thanks guys

I was in the same boat you were. I bought a 38' toy hauler and the ole 7.3 hated life in front of that thing on the hills and the 7.3 has plenty of upgrades.

I just bought a used 6.7 Dually and its a night and day difference. The 2 extra gears make a world of difference towing and its nice and quiet inside even when pulling the RV. I say grab the 6.7 and don't look back.

I did keep the 7.3 tho for using around the farm. I cant seem to part with it.

Same here.

I bought a 34' gooseneck enclosed race car trailer. With the car, golf cart, tools, etc I was at 21k with the OBS. The OBS is modded and could handle the job but you had to pay attention while driving. The 7.3 had more than enough power to pull the trailer. When I got to my destination, I was worn out.

When I bought my 2016 Lariat DRW, I towed the same trailer...holy sh!t what a difference. Not only the extra set of wheels help big time but the 6.7 was so much refined. At the end of my destination, I was fine and could've kept going.

To the OP, get yourself a dually to tow your trailer. Keep your 7.3 as your everyday/chore vehicle.

The best way I could describe the 7.3 vs 6.7....the 7.3 just has that raw power while the 6.7 is refined/fast.

I still have the OBS and split the driving duties between it and the Geo. The 2016 sits in the garage covered.

Billy T.
[email protected]

RichieRich

Reaction score
so I pulled the trigger last night and picked up the 2014 F350.
It drives nice man...power is there when you want it and its all stock.
Cant imagine this thing with some tunes and some parts on it.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Congrats you will love it!!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
so I pulled the trigger last night and picked up the 2014 F350.
It drives nice man...power is there when you want it and its all stock.
Cant imagine this thing with some tunes and some parts on it.

congrats ! let me know if you need anything !

Latest posts

Members online