20inch or 18 inch wheels

ferris70

Reaction score
looking for advice on a new 2017 f350 purchased 2 months ago and of course looking to mod the truck with new go fast parts. first thing new wheels and tires and I cant decide between upgrading to 20 versus 18 aftermarket wheels. my concerns are load/ ride adjustments based on wheel size and tire combo. I am installing a a carli pin top level kit and the wheels are Method NV wheel wrapped with Nitto trail grappler. looking at 37 with 18 tons of side wall for days but the 20 fill the wheel well nicely with 35. I plan to tow a large 5th wheel in the future so I need the load capabilities of the truck as well as a daily driver so I don't want to limit turn radius.
thank you in advance for any advice on this subject.

Attachments

• 20inch sd nv bronze.jpg
    20inch sd nv bronze.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Lifted F350 .jpg
    Lifted F350 .jpg
    84 KB · Views: 179

Ciras

Reaction score
Assuming similar over all diameter, the 20s will provide better handling (shorter side wall; less flex) and the longer side wall with 18" rims will offer a better ride.

Koda22

Reaction score
yea I wouldn't go with anything smaller then a 20.....I made the mistake and put 18s on my truck and have regretted it ever since..

ferris70

Reaction score
yea I wouldn't go with anything smaller then a 20.....I made the mistake and put 18s on my truck and have regretted it ever since..

thank you all for the input so far, was wondering Koda22 want do you regret about the 18 ride. performance or just looks?
any one tow with the 20?

Jomax

Reaction score
thank you all for the input so far, was wondering Koda22 want do you regret about the 18 ride. performance or just looks?

any one tow with the 20?

Looks hands down, I have 18s now. Will be getting 20s soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koda22

Reaction score
yea mostly looks.......they arent bad, but its just a little bit of a small wheel for this big of a truck. I think 22s look best on these trucks....if you plan on going off road you might stick with 20s just for a little extra side wall....but for sure dont go smaller then 20s

ferris70

Reaction score
it appears that so far everyone says 20, just want to make sure I have a side wall will 37 typically fit a lvl truck?

Reaction score
I've run 35s and 37s on a stock height truck with stock eighteens with no rub on the 35s and slight rub at full lock on the 37s. I'm now running 325/60r20s (a wide 35) with 20x10 pro comps with a -12 offset and half inch wheel spacers with minimal rub. Imo it's all a matter of preference in looks at these sizes. I find no ride difference between the two sizes, but I do quite like the look of the 20s.

Betarocker

Reaction score
It's asking for more tire for that 8in lift!

I want zero rub, ever. Going to the next size tire would be 38x15.50, and that would rub. I use my truck on rough terrain occasionally and never want the tire to contact any part of the truck.

I'm not one of those that comment " I have a leveling kit and run 37s and they don't rub. Unless the wheels are steered and I drive over a squished blob of gum."

Jomax

Reaction score
I want zero rub, ever. Going to the next size tire would be 38x15.50, and that would rub. I use my truck on rough terrain occasionally and never want the tire to contact any part of the truck.

I'm not one of those that comment " I have a leveling kit and run 37s and they don't rub. Unless the wheels are steered and I drive over a squished blob of gum."

Makes sense. But I was that guy with a leveling kit and 37s and i didn't rub. Like at all. lol I abused it off-road. Tires stuffed on the bumpstops taking a max turn on switch backs etc.

They don't make a 40x13.5?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Makes sense. But I was that guy with a leveling kit and 37s and i didn't rub. Like at all. lol I abused it off-road. Tires stuffed on the bumpstops taking a max turn on switch backs etc.

They don't make a 40x13.5?

super swamper might have a tire that size

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Goodyear mtr and bfg come in that size

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk