The Build Plan 96 F250CCSB Fuel / Turbo

Reaction score
So I've been doing a lot of reading and thinking lately since this has gone from armchair engineering to a do it now project. Looking for the nice compromise of usable sustainable power, towing capability, mileage with a occasional blast to remind the youngsters with all the new trucks we aint dead yet. It is a daily driver and we are going through the truck rather than buy newer. We just can't give up on the OBS simplicity. Planning on towing to Alaska before we are done.

I'm thinking over 450hp the clutch gets to be a pain and overheating on grades could be an issue.

Has to handle 10,000 ft elevation towing with stockish smoke levels

So here's the plan for your comments particularly details on injector sizes and turbo details such as turbine and housings.

S364.5 SXE turbo

T4 mount (Carson Stauffer or Irate?)

Electric Fuel (Strictly Diesel)

My clean 100k mile new AC's gone through and 30% tips installed (Who?)
Any real arguments to other sizes. Not buying the hybrid/ 200% idea

Have a 20k mile T-500 been good so far. Always clean oil.

Hydra chip, PHP or Swamps tuning.

$$$ are really not the object. Have enough to do it right.

rusty1161

Reaction score
I like the S363SXE. I haven't towed much over 5,000-6,000 pounds yet, but it did really well.

The 160/30's work well, plenty of power for me. I went with PIS, and would again if the need arises.

My Irate T4 is really good, especially now that he has a real down pipe.

The Strictly Diesel system is great. Mine has been flawless for 6 years/>60,000 miles. A SD pump is the only way to go IMHO. You can swap it in ten minutes and pick one up almost anywhere.

I like the PHP tuning on my Hydra. I have the software to tune it myself, just no time to mess with it.

Do it once, and do it right. For example, I bought and have the Riff Raff billet plenum to still install. I should have done them when I did the T4. Also, I have a Horton fan clutch that I believe is a great addition for a tow rig.

Good luck!

Rusty

Reaction score
We are further in agreement! Always a few fine tweaks to things to suit such as 363 to 364.5 and what dia turbine and what exhaust A/R ?

Build it one build it right: I have been improving this truck since 2003. It has only been down once in that time. Back cover blew off the original HPOP.

rusty1161

Reaction score
My vote is for the 74mm turbine, .91 housing. I think you could go either way with 363 or 364.5. If you haven't done this already, hit up Barder Turbo and see what he's seen and heard works best.

If I had the cash, I still want to try a BASB to compare. S*** in one hand, wish in the other..........

Rusty

97Beast

Reaction score
Pius told me the BASB uses all Borg Warner parts. But I agree it would be nice to know the specs. However, with the way my truck runs with this turbo, it is worth the mystery. I'm very impressed with it.

Plzstrokeme

Reaction score
My vote is for the 74mm turbine, .91 housing. I think you could go either way with 363 or 364.5. If you haven't done this already, hit up Barder Turbo and see what he's seen and heard works best.

If I had the cash, I still want to try a BASB to compare. S*** in one hand, wish in the other..........

Rusty

I like your turbo choice. I also have 160/30s and don't plan to go any bigger. I have been wondering if the 363 would be a better option than the 364.5.

I want my truck to tow like a champ. It already tows awsome but I would like to try an sxe turbo. Do you ever wish you had gone with a larger turbo or are you satisfied with the 363? I will most likely talk to barder turbo and see what they recommend before buying anything.

rusty1161

Reaction score
I like your turbo choice. I also have 160/30s and don't plan to go any bigger. I have been wondering if the 363 would be a better option than the 364.5.

I want my truck to tow like a champ. It already tows awsome but I would like to try an sxe turbo. Do you ever wish you had gone with a larger turbo or are you satisfied with the 363? I will most likely talk to barder turbo and see what they recommend before buying anything.

I am very happy with my setup. I don't wish I had gone with a 364.5 or 366, but like I said previously, I am curious how the BASB would run. For the money, it's hard to beat the SXE line.

Rusty

ghohouston

Reaction score
Why a 30% nozzle? I get bigger isnt always better, but why would you not want the potential for more power? And isn't there plenty of proof an 80 vs 30% nozzle, the 80 has lower egt's?

Plzstrokeme

Reaction score
Hmmm, another vague post by Tim. Thanks for teaching us your wisdom.

If I had to guess I would say he is refering to the fact that many 160/30 injectors can empty in a sufficient amout of time. Some injector builders don't recommend a larger nozzle until closer to a 180 or 200cc injector. It seems many tuners also prefer a smaller nozzle. I have seen posts by tuners that the fuel atomizes better with a smaller nozzle.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Why a 30% nozzle? I get bigger isnt always better, but why would you not want the potential for more power? And isn't there plenty of proof an 80 vs 30% nozzle, the 80 has lower egt's?

Why use a bigger nozzle if you can move all the fuel you need through a smaller one?? We crammed 160cc through a 30% at 2.6ms, how many tuners limit you on a street truck to 2.6?? No one.

Hmmm, another vague post by Tim. Thanks for teaching us your wisdom.

If I had to guess I would say he is refering to the fact that many 160/30 injectors can empty in a sufficient amout of time. Some injector builders don't recommend a larger nozzle until closer to a 180 or 200cc injector. It seems many tuners also prefer a smaller nozzle. I have seen posts by tuners that the fuel atomizes better with a smaller nozzle.
How is asking a question being vague at all? It's a question.....

fordman67

Reaction score
Why use a bigger nozzle if you can move all the fuel you need through a smaller one?? We crammed 160cc through a 30% at 2.6ms, how many tuners limit you on a street truck to 2.6?? No one.

How is asking a question being vague at all? It's a question.....

Now help me here. I am sincerely asking would a larger nozzles empty rate being faster narrow the window of injection? I would like to hear your views. Thanks!!

Latest posts