2002 P0275 Grey smoke

Skyrag

Reaction score
Hello all, my 02' CC SB RWD is failing the contribution test on #5(P0275). Running rough and grey smoke upon acceleration, but very little blow by coming out of the oil fill tube. Which is why I don't suspect internal engine damage and I have not performed a compression test because of this. I am seeing diesel fuel and engine oil coming out from the passenger side up pipe leaking out of where the up pipe and the 'Y' pipe connect on the backside of the new turbo charger.

Truck is stock with 342k and I am the third owner. This started about a month ago with a P1316 code, I changed UVCH and pigtail with motorcraft. P1316 went away, BUT now I'm getting P0275. Changed #5 injector with #3 injector and the problem stayed at the #5 hole. Installed reman mototrcraft injector, same problem.

The PERDELs on the #5 are 3.20-4.60, #3 is 1.50-2.50, #7 is 1.00-1.50 #1 is 0.00 when EOT is 180*, ICP is 490-510, IPR is 7.50%. Wiring harness OHM readings from IDM to injectors are all 3.5-3.6. As I stated above that I have very little blow by at temperature.

Within the past five years I've changed two injectors not including #5. HPOP ICP IPR both UVCH and pigtails all motorcraft, turbo charger and CPS.

There is one odd thing that is happening, when I put the transmission in drive the PERDEL on #5 goes to 6.50-7.00 and all other PERDELS go to 0.00.

I am at a loss on this one.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Sounds like a compression/lifter/valve/pushrod issue if the problem stayed with the hole, and you verified wiring to the injector. I'd do a compression test.

Skyrag

Reaction score
Sounds like a compression/lifter/valve/pushrod issue if the problem stayed with the hole, and you verified wiring to the injector. I'd do a compression test.

I agree with you about doing a compression test and I will be performing one today, possibly tomorrow. Do you think this could be a PCM issue or an IDM issue?

Skyrag

Reaction score
Anything is possible. Compression test should tell you where to look next.

Update: Compression numbers cylinders 1-8 are 395-400. After reviewing what I had previously installed I back-tracked and found that I had crossed the #5 injector wire with the #7 injector wire when I installed the new pigtails. Good times.. Thanks for your help!

Magnum PD

Reaction score
That's good compression for that many miles. Someone took care of it.

Skyrag

Reaction score
That's good compression for that many miles. Someone took care of it.

This was my late fathers truck and he took meticulous care of it from the day he bought it at 28k miles. When I purchased it from my mom it had 260k, dad always ran quality lubricants and were changed on time, every time. This one reason is why I'll be handing this truck down to my grand-kids.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.