Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 6.0 Aftermarket

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-09-2020, 12:16 PM
05wh250's Avatar
05wh250 05wh250 is offline
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: hendersonville, nc
Posts: 987
Default High egt's

My what's are higher than I'd like them while towing, pretty easy to hit 1300. I've had a heavy tow tune built by Warren and gear head but they both still do the same thing. I pulled a small enclosed, probably 5,000lbs and was pretty much 1050+ running 65-70 on the interstate. Mods are in my signature besides a Hellman intercooler and no limit intake. I'm running php's economy on the ficm, that's the only thing I can think of that would cause it. It runs good and builds boost like it's supposed to. The water and oil temps were good while towing. I think it's the ficm tune doing it but wanted some opinions before I go to spending money.
__________________
05 ccsb, a1000 w/ rr cat 2 micron fuel water seperator, billet powermax,arp's, 170/30's, 7/16" pushrods, rcd valve springs, php ficm, boost & fuel press. with insight, 2.5" lift around with 35/12.50, accufab intake elbow, custom traction bars, 08 rear diff. cover, 3.5" to 4" exhaust, apex manifold, absolute delta line kit and infinity coolant filter, stage 3 tdp trans.
  #2  
Old 04-09-2020, 02:37 PM
Zeb Zeb is offline
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Downtown Marrowbone Ky
Posts: 845
Default

Things to do, and the order is do them in.

#1 Pressure check the system for boost leaks. You need to pressure check from the inlet of the turbo all the way into the cylinders. A visual check is about worthless, as is trying to use ether to find a leak, or just thinking spoolup and boost are “ok”. Numerous times I have seen leaks cause egt issues that had little affect on spool up or total boost.

#2 Make very sure you don’t have any exhaust leaks pre turbo.

#3 Get the FICM tune off of it.

#4 Get something better than a Powermax for a turbo.

Last edited by Zeb; 04-09-2020 at 02:41 PM.
  #3  
Old 04-09-2020, 09:09 PM
05wh250's Avatar
05wh250 05wh250 is offline
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: hendersonville, nc
Posts: 987
Default

I'll pressure test it this weekend and make sure. I'm working on getting the tune out of the ficm now. I've looked for exhaust leaks and didn't find any but I'll check again. For right now the turbo is staying.
__________________
05 ccsb, a1000 w/ rr cat 2 micron fuel water seperator, billet powermax,arp's, 170/30's, 7/16" pushrods, rcd valve springs, php ficm, boost & fuel press. with insight, 2.5" lift around with 35/12.50, accufab intake elbow, custom traction bars, 08 rear diff. cover, 3.5" to 4" exhaust, apex manifold, absolute delta line kit and infinity coolant filter, stage 3 tdp trans.
  #4  
Old 04-12-2020, 10:22 AM
05wh250's Avatar
05wh250 05wh250 is offline
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: hendersonville, nc
Posts: 987
Default

To give an update, I pressure tested it at work yesterday and did have a boost leak, not sure why I wanted to dismiss such an easy thing to do. I got the ficm tune out of it and it seems to have helped with both of those. Not sure when I'll get to pull anything with but when I do I'll try to remember to update this again. Thanks for your help.
__________________
05 ccsb, a1000 w/ rr cat 2 micron fuel water seperator, billet powermax,arp's, 170/30's, 7/16" pushrods, rcd valve springs, php ficm, boost & fuel press. with insight, 2.5" lift around with 35/12.50, accufab intake elbow, custom traction bars, 08 rear diff. cover, 3.5" to 4" exhaust, apex manifold, absolute delta line kit and infinity coolant filter, stage 3 tdp trans.
  #5  
Old 11-13-2020, 10:07 AM
BS Hauler's Avatar
BS Hauler BS Hauler is offline
Sergeant
Member's Gallery
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northeast Iowa
Posts: 173
Default

Why do you not want the FICM tune in it.
__________________
2002 F-350 DRW 4x4 6 spd CCLB
2006 F-350 CCSB Auto 4wd
  #6  
Old 11-13-2020, 08:39 PM
6.0 Tech's Avatar
6.0 Tech 6.0 Tech is offline
Colonel
Member's Gallery
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 2,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS Hauler View Post
Why do you not want the FICM tune in it.
Ficm tuners are typically not accounted for in good tuning. I had an idp ficm tuner and idp tuning at one point, and with 19p/30s and a stage 2, it was extremely smokey. Set the ficm tuner to badically stock and it cleaned way up. Basically the ficm tuner changes some ficm parameters, as normal tuning doesn't touch the ficm, then with the regular tuning they add pw and timing on top of what the ficm tuner added.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
__________________
04 cclb IDP and TSD tunes, KC Stage 2 hi pressure, S476 atmosphere, Odawg Stage 2 ported intake, RCD Stage 1 cam, RCD lifters and pushrods, RCD 120# valve springs, ARP 625s, o ringed heads, Warren 7mm 250/100 hybrids, Strictly bowl dereete regulated return, Air Dog 2 4g, Snow stage 2 water/meth
  #7  
Old 11-14-2020, 04:37 PM
Powerstroke Man 6.4's Avatar
Powerstroke Man 6.4 Powerstroke Man 6.4 is offline
Colonel
Member's Gallery
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0 Tech View Post
Ficm tuners are typically not accounted for in good tuning. I had an idp ficm tuner and idp tuning at one point, and with 19p/30s and a stage 2, it was extremely smokey. Set the ficm tuner to badically stock and it cleaned way up. Basically the ficm tuner changes some ficm parameters, as normal tuning doesn't touch the ficm, then with the regular tuning they add pw and timing on top of what the ficm tuner added.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
WHS ^ The only platform that even allows full control over the PCM and FICM is HPtuners in one whole flash.

Its a excellent platform, but the credits for the PCM/TCM and the FICM cost a ton+ in the fee for the tune writer actual files and its a load of money.

So that's why its IMO rare to see some of the larger tuners on HPtuners for the 6.0 and choose to stick with SCT.

When in the right hands, in combination with a HPtuners based all in one PCM/TCM/FICM file a truck can make a ton more power on the HPtuners platform vs a truck on SCT with ICP fooling and other PCM based ICP "tricks" with the same setup.

The truck runs overall better and its less "quirky" The power band is quite smoother as well.

Majority, of the major tune writers files are built with their "secret" tricks (like ICP fooling ect etc) in mind.

So adding a ficm file with actual pulsewidth table adjustments/combined with the PCM ICP based "fooling" will just make the truck smokey and run hot.

You could possibly ask your tune writer to return ICP values to OEM so the FICM/FICM file can actually do its job.

But they may not change it due to them needing to rebuild the file.
__________________

No Limit Fabrication
Midwest Diesel & Auto
  #8  
Old 11-17-2020, 07:35 PM
PSD POWER007's Avatar
PSD POWER007 PSD POWER007 is offline
Sergeant
Member's Gallery
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke Man 6.4 View Post
WHS ^ The only platform that even allows full control over the PCM and FICM is HPtuners in one whole flash.

Its a excellent platform, but the credits for the PCM/TCM and the FICM cost a ton+ in the fee for the tune writer actual files and its a load of money.

So that's why its IMO rare to see some of the larger tuners on HPtuners for the 6.0 and choose to stick with SCT.

When in the right hands, in combination with a HPtuners based all in one PCM/TCM/FICM file a truck can make a ton more power on the HPtuners platform vs a truck on SCT with ICP fooling and other PCM based ICP "tricks" with the same setup.

The truck runs overall better and its less "quirky" The power band is quite smoother as well.

Majority, of the major tune writers files are built with their "secret" tricks (like ICP fooling ect etc) in mind.

So adding a ficm file with actual pulsewidth table adjustments/combined with the PCM ICP based "fooling" will just make the truck smokey and run hot.

You could possibly ask your tune writer to return ICP values to OEM so the FICM/FICM file can actually do its job.

But they may not change it due to them needing to rebuild the file.
Very interesting info.
__________________
2003 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke Forged with ARPís
Irate T4 364.5, Full Force 180/80's, Adrenaline HPOP, Driven Diesel RR, GH tuned Hydra, Sam Wyse stage 2, 6.0 Tranny cooler
2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke
Coming soon KDD stage 1 long block, FF 155/30ís, KC stage 1, Driven Diesel RR, No Limit CAI, BPD HD oil cooler, Odawg stage 2
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:15 PM.

 

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Designed by Military Ltd