Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > The Bunker > General Discussion Forum

Old 11-02-2020, 04:34 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnlocker View Post
Right on. 10° drag angle on 7018.. whip the 6011.. 6011 will cut the rust better.. thats pretty much all i use.. without a rod oven i dont even bother with 7018...

live life full throttle
Thanks for the info! 6010/6011 seem like the perfect farm rods. My buddy is sending me 5 lbs of 6010 to play with. Interested to see what whipping the 6011 does. Haven't tried any electrode manipulation yet.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2020, 06:12 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja_cain View Post
After all these years, finally learning to stick weld. Have never struck an arc up to this point. Lol! First two beads I just randomly picked the amperage and was probably two cold and arc length not tight. Watched a couple of videos and then ran four more. Definitely better, but needed to tweak the amperage a little more and maintain a constant feed rate and arc length. That edge weld is the second to last one I've ever done and it's 1/8" 7018 (Lincoln Excalibur) DCEP 110 amps on 1/8" plate. Probably a little too much rod for that plate. Last bead is a cheap Harbor Freight 1/8" 7018 with same settings. Definitely turned out nice despite not being stored correctly for who knows how long. Lol! Definitely need to longer a little longer in the beginning so the bead width is consistent.

Third pic looks pretty good.
Stick with 3/32, between 85 and 95 amps, for 7018.
Eighth inch 6010 will take about the same amperage as the 3/32 7018.
Arc length should be about the same as rod diameter, or less, if you can manage it.
If your welder has a "dig" function, or "soft" and "crisp" settings, play with those a bit. Soft for 7018, crisp for 6010. More dig for 6010, less dig for 7018.
Metal is hard, lol, more amperage makes it easier to manipulate.
After you get your first 1000 lbs of rod burnt, you too can be an expert welder
2002 with a couple of mods, grocerygetter
Old 11-03-2020, 05:12 AM
General
Member's Gallery

Almost all of them look better than the ones on my bumper.... lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
~Tom~ 02 F350 CCSB 4x4 SRW 7.3L, DIY-6637, Hydra, 4" TB-409SS MBRP, GS 3 in 1, EGT/Boost/Tranny, T500, FRx, COMP 910s, Fisher 8' MM2, 5" AL 1-piece Drive Shaft, Tymar HPX, NON-EBV Pedestal, Turbo Master, Wicked Wheel, Hutch/Harpoon, RR-Plenums/clamps, 203* TS and Billet Housing, ELC, Fumoto, Leveled, Airlift Bags, 16x10" on 35s, CCV Dumped, Foil, AIH, and EBV, Pontoons All Missing... Rebuilt Transmission at 137k~AE w/Ford Pack~
Old 11-03-2020, 05:43 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by psduser1 View Post
Third pic looks pretty good.

Stick with 3/32, between 85 and 95 amps, for 7018.

Eighth inch 6010 will take about the same amperage as the 3/32 7018.

Arc length should be about the same as rod diameter, or less, if you can manage it.

If your welder has a "dig" function, or "soft" and "crisp" settings, play with those a bit. Soft for 7018, crisp for 6010. More dig for 6010, less dig for 7018.

Metal is hard, lol, more amperage makes it easier to manipulate.

After you get your first 1000 lbs of rod burnt, you too can be an expert welder
Thanks Joe! I appreciate the feedback from you and Jake! Will get some picks of the 3/32 I burned yesterday and will try and run them a little hotter as a comparison. Will also try and run those 6011's. What you see is what I have burned so far ever, other than the 3/32 at the end of the day yesterday. Running these with a Dynasty 200 and it does have the dig function. Not sure if it does not start though. Will try and change the dig settings too.

Hope all is well with the family and farm stuff! Are you still fooling with the hair sheep? I almost texted you when I decide to start learning how to stick weld ask you what you thought, but figured it would be something cool to post since I'm not on here much anymore.

Old 11-03-2020, 05:44 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post
Almost all of them look better than the ones on my bumper.... lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Lol! Thanks! I find myself looking at stick welds everywhere (like I have done with Tig and mig welds) and some of the beads I'm seeing are giving me hope! Such a good skill to possess when you have a farm and equipment.

Last edited by ja_cain; 11-03-2020 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:11 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

6013's are another all around good farm use rod. I would say slightly better than the 6010 and 6011, when it comes to being left out in the open.
That start porosity is likely from moisture in the rod.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Depleted, studded, airdog (which isn't currently hooked up), fass regulated return, airaide, 4 inch straight pipe with mbrp muffler(so on to go), glowchit pyro, fuel, boost, and trans temp. (Of course don't work lol) Hercules terra track A/T2 315/70/17.
2013 Honda pilot Touring
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/778639.png
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/776628.png
Old 11-03-2020, 09:47 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jasper View Post
That start porosity is likely from moisture in the rod.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Or not pausing and allowing to build heat and puddle. 7018 is also bad about trapping porosity when running too cold so it doesn’t allow the puddle to outgas. A 1/8” 7018 can also be a lot of metal to carry for a novice when running hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-03-2020, 10:20 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerStrokePops View Post
Or not pausing and allowing to build heat and puddle. 7018 is also bad about trapping porosity when running too cold so it doesn’t allow the puddle to outgas. A 1/8” 7018 can also be a lot of metal to carry for a novice when running hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I feel that's (outgassing) all it is too. That's why I stated above that I need to get better at my starts. What amperage would you run 7018 on 1/4" plate? I'm working on getting that arc length as close as possible and maintaining it.

Old 11-03-2020, 02:10 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja_cain View Post
Thanks Joe! I appreciate the feedback from you and Jake! Will get some picks of the 3/32 I burned yesterday and will try and run them a little hotter as a comparison. Will also try and run those 6011's. What you see is what I have burned so far ever, other than the 3/32 at the end of the day yesterday. Running these with a Dynasty 200 and it does have the dig function. Not sure if it does not start though. Will try and change the dig settings too.

Hope all is well with the family and farm stuff! Are you still fooling with the hair sheep? I almost texted you when I decide to start learning how to stick weld ask you what you thought, but figured it would be something cool to post since I'm not on here much anymore.

We are well, justin. Busy as always, lol. Just a bit of corn to finish up, some rye to spread (cover crop), and back to repairs on equiptment.
Worked a couple of pipe jobs, that slowed down the farm work a bit.
Actually put 5 sheep in various freezers this year, I think my daughter has 4 left.
2002 with a couple of mods, grocerygetter
Old 11-03-2020, 05:28 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by psduser1 View Post
We are well, justin. Busy as always, lol. Just a bit of corn to finish up, some rye to spread (cover crop), and back to repairs on equiptment.

Worked a couple of pipe jobs, that slowed down the farm work a bit.

Actually put 5 sheep in various freezers this year, I think my daughter has 4 left.
Good deal. I did a bunch of different winter food plots to finish the last of my lamb rams and also give my bred ewes something to graze on after the warm season annuals die. So far the lambs are loving the turnips/rape/oats. Also did cover crop wheat/crimson clover/rape and radishes/CC/oats. Hoping to get to more plots in this weekend with Austrian winter peas and rye. Super stoked to see how that turns out given how late I the season it is. Going to innoculate the peas too.

Good to hear you put some in the freezer! I actually hooked up with a guy that will buy all the intact and weathered rams I can produce and give me what I want. He picks them up from my farm, so it's easy peasy. He's looking for meat goats too! Looks like that will be my next adventure. He's a former Marine and works at the fire department. He raises his own hairsheep, but can't keep up with the demand.

https://youtu.be/AHjg8qO0BLg