1999 f250 ext cab flatbed...buy?

Jrollings

Reaction score
Hello all,
Here is a truck I’m contemplating purchasing. It needs quite a bit of work but it’s cheap and I can get a loan on it. I’m coming from a 6.0l powerstroke to a 2014 F-150 to this 7.3l. I know the 6.0l very well but not as familiar with the 7.3. It needs brakes, hub bearings, tires, front end work, alignment, etc. I’ll try to post a pic of what’s needed. Here is the link. I’d love to hear what everyone has to say.

https://www.andymohr.com/inventory/1999-ford-f-250sd-xl-4wd-standard-bed-1ftnx21f7xed63487

Thanks,

Jason

Attachments

• A2F16332-BB5A-4877-B0B5-7ACA4EB95AB5.jpg
    A2F16332-BB5A-4877-B0B5-7ACA4EB95AB5.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 79

Dirtclod

Reaction score
That ain’t too bad if doesn’t have any rust. But be prepared to spend some money on it. 285k miles youre lookin at spending 6-8 grand on the engine alone. Plus the stuff you’ve mentioned and if the suspension is stock it’s wore out. Good trucks when versing is right. Good luck with it. Btw I like black on these trucks.

Jrollings

Reaction score
That ain’t too bad if doesn’t have any rust. But be prepared to spend some money on it. 285k miles youre lookin at spending 6-8 grand on the engine alone. Plus the stuff you’ve mentioned and if the suspension is stock it’s wore out. Good trucks when versing is right. Good luck with it. Btw I like black on these trucks.

There is rust on it. Driver’s side cab corner. What are you thinking the engine may need to throw out a possible $6-$8k? I understand no one knows what the future holds and that it could blow up the day after I buy it but I’m just trying to pick your brain here.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
There is rust on it. Driver’s side cab corner. What are you thinking the engine may need to throw out a possible $6-$8k? I understand no one knows what the future holds and that it could blow up the day after I buy it but I’m just trying to pick your brain here.

Well worse case, but turbo replacement and upipes,injectors,glow plugs,harnesses,hpop,ipr,icp sensor. Unless you’re doing it yourself add the labor and there ya go. You’re up on 300k miles and if all this is stock it’s getting a little tired. But that is worse case scenario. Still imo 12-13k add another 2 for the other stuff you’ll have a good truck and it will be worth it.

cbrown

Reaction score
Thank you for the well thought out response. I can imagine you pondered over that for quite awhile lol

1. He's not wrong.
2. You're looking to finance that at less than 6k? And you say it needs all that other work. How do you plan on paying for that?

Jrollings

Reaction score
No I appreciated his response. I was just having some fun. I passed on the truck. Thanks everyone. I do my own work but at the same time who likes to polish a turd?

Denver

Reaction score
Well worse case, but turbo replacement and upipes,injectors,glow plugs,harnesses,hpop,ipr,icp sensor. Unless you’re doing it yourself add the labor and there ya go. You’re up on 300k miles and if all this is stock it’s getting a little tired. But that is worse case scenario. Still imo 12-13k add another 2 for the other stuff you’ll have a good truck and it will be worth it.

Other than up-pipes 300K miles is nothing as long as the oil has been changed, fuel filter changed, and clean air.

dmd

Reaction score
You still had a bunch to check. The main one was to get it running and take off the oil fill and see if it is puffing smoke like a train. If just some smoke wafting out at a steady rate the engine might have been in OK shape.

BS Hauler

Reaction score
I don't want to hi jack this thread. How do you like your setup dirtclod. You look like you have exactly what I am thinking of doing.

Latest posts

Members online