torque converter locked up at stop light

kleake

Reaction score
so, I finally got my Aerhmet shaft and it doesn't want to go in the torque converter more than about 1/2". I tapped it in as far as I felt comfortable doing and I had to get creative to pull it back out. The stock shaft is snug, but a light tap with the palm of my hand and it drops in 1.5", a good yank and it comes out. So I am about an inch short. Figuring the TC splines are buggered just a tad from the previous shaft twisting I would think if I get this in then over time it will wear in and be ok. Should I get a little crazier putting this in or do I risk causing more issues?

kleake

Reaction score
Problem solved....... Stuck the shaft in the freezer overnight, a few good firm hits with a hammer and it dropped in the TC. I know it won't come out easy, but at least I didn't need the press to get it in there.

kleake

Reaction score
All back together and all seems to be working fine. I re-loaded the tune so it could go through the learn process again. This time I'm going through several more shift cycles before ever getting past half throttle. In fact, it will probably be a few days of driving before I do that, but so far, so good. Shifting seems firm, but not harsh, you can tell it is still learning though as each shift is just slightly different. TC locks in firm, but not as harsh as before which is a good thing. Thanks everyone for the guidance, I feel better knowing I have the strongest shaft available in there and it 'should' hold up without issues.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the guidance, I feel better knowing I have the strongest shaft available in there and it 'should' hold up without issues.

Poor tuning will snap that shaft just as fast as a stock one. LOLLOLLOL

kleake

Reaction score
Poor tuning will snap that shaft just as fast as a stock one. LOLLOLLOL

Right... I'm running ******** and just put in new solenoids. That combination may have provided some changes in the way it shifted, so that's why I re-loaded the previous tune I had been running. So far so good, but I will be monitoring. I also made 1 test drive with H&S tuning to see what it did, and it still had some flare between shifts, but didn't seem as bad as before. Then loaded the ******** back on. Much crisper shifts overall. I'll be testing some more today.

Latest posts