My build-Hard work pays off!

How far to go when the cab is pulled the first time

• Total voters

RSK

Reaction score
It all started when I was 13 I think I saw some badass diesel on the cover on diesel power and was hooked, before that I was into turbo'd imports. I just read a lot about them and learned everything I could with one day actually owning one. well that never happened, because of my passion for diesel trucks. I had wanted a 6.0 at first. then the 6.4 since they came out in 2008 i didn't know much back then except i loved diesels and I wanted one. I was a broke college student going to Universal technical institute for auto/diesel to be certified in cummins and I was going to work at a cummins dealer. but about half way though I finally got a job in the industry, working at Mass diesel. I was only there for a week or two. I was doing oil changes, preventative maintenance, thermostats, easy jobs that were hard to screw up. I would have worked there longer, if I didn't drop out of school. Once I was back home, I continued doing landscaping like I had grown to love, and was ready to buy a truck, I wanted a ford 6.0 but ended up with a 97 cummins 5.9 probably better it worked out that way anyways. to make a long story short I built that cummins and few others I had a little, I dynoed it 5 or 6 times. throughout different stages, Installed head studs, changed the injectors, delivery valves, got the transmission built. It started out at 253whp/563ft lbs of torque with a 0 plate which cost me nothing, and I was on the stock transmission which was slipping, and stock these trucks put down around 149-150 rwhp hp not sure on torque. probably mid 300's
anyways after Installed head studs and a set of nasty injectors from Industrial injection that were very dirty. the truck put down 458/1053 uncorrected on the stock turbo with a built transmission a 8 months later I installed a rather large single on the truck, but due to my poor tuning it didn't spool that great, I had way too much fuel down low. I dynoed it with this setup it made 461whp/1363 ft lbs of torque because it didn't spool until almost 2000rpm or even higher but when it did light it was getting hit from a freight train at 60. It pulled pretty decent, audi s4's m3's mustangs were all no problem. fast forward to a few years ago and I bought my first ford in 2011 it was my 97 7.3. my buddies always picked on me for driving my unreliable dodge, they were rentless...and one of them who is very successful said if you wanna make money buy a ford. not knowing a whole lot about fords, and having parted out my built dodge from making friends with a telephone one labor day weekend I said *** it why not. And bought my 7.3 in the spring and worked the ever living piss out of it, and it has been quite reliable. No doubt's about it for the 3500 I paid for it with 238k I was very shocked at how much abuse it took and keeps taking, but it is and always has been maintained with an open check book. anyways. after making me over 350,000 since I owned it. and allowing me to upgrade all my equipment in business and buy everything a growing landscape company could want. I finally decided it was time and I was financially ready for newer truck, not too mention my 7.3 is a little tight on space and I'm 6'2. So i had my buddy who knows a lot of people start looking for my truck and found it, bought it, and now i'm here. the plans were to not work the truck, but I think i'm gonna have a hard time switching back to the 7.3.

anyways here's the goals for the truck, being to be a "back up" for my 7.3 if it ever is down. so it has to be able to tow/plow snow, and to hit 600whp with that being said here's the list:

dpf/cat delete-done
sct programmer with gear head tuning-done
no limit egr delete and cac pipe
no limit or afe cold air intake
hd push rods
hd valve springs
zmax jr intake manifold
arp head studs
hd up pipes
4 link the front end
2.5" springs up front
hell wig sway bars
5.5" block in the back so it keeps the factory rake
22" bmf's
37x12.50 toyo mt's
traction bars, not who's yet.....
fox 2.0's with resi's
wilwood 6 piston calipers and big brake kit up front
steel braided brake lines, so it stops good with the 37's on it.
76mm Atmosphere turbo-unsure of which turbo i'll actually run yet, but I have time to decide either the

Jr. High Power or the
Tow Power X

that about sums stage 1 of my build. I know it's most likely way over built for 600whp but I like to overboard and over build or over buy... "I may have too much power"
- said no one ever.

Stage 2 includes:
built transmission, billet flex plate, dpc triple disk converter, billet input, intermediate, and all the little hard parts inside that usually get replaced with more HD ones.

single 30% over hpfp, hopefully there is a reliable kit out in a year.
30% nozzles
after market lpfp
upgraded hp turbo- no idea which one i'm gonna go with yet, this is over a year down there road....
rods
ported heads
dual k16's

should run good once its all done.

any thoughts, comments, additions, suggestions are welcome.

AEA67161-6sm_zps07f63113.jpg

8780CAF7-827E-4E2F-BAB9-5DE37DD49230_zpsmmfvol8r.jpg

here it is now, not much different, but front windows are tinted to match or close anyways.
recon smoked cab lights, I did the led mirror lights but not in this picture.
the head lights get baked in the oven and smoked, the grille will be getting changed, tail lights will be smoked, fender badges painted, and bumpers will be ptm. It should look pretty sick sitting 6" higher with the leveling kit and 37's on it. might do a 1 piece drive shaft as well.

Last edited:

RSK

Reaction score
If ur only panning on a 700 hp build forget doing rods and put pistons in it

I'm planning on 600whp but I also plan on over building it. I included rods, forgot about pistons....

And why did u put a 30% over hpfp if ur going to do duel fuelers

I put the 30% over hpfp because I'd like to think by this summer or maybe fall. someone will come out with a reliable 30% over hpfp and save me from doing dual fuelers, i don't really want to do dual fuelers but i know i'll have that itch if i don't do them. 15% nozzles would really be enough for a little while. I would like to keep it as reliable as possible, and keep it clean burning, which matt at gear head did a great job of which his hot street tune.

whs

Good luck with the build

thanks. hopefully I'll have a full egr delete and some no limit goodies on by the time Rudy's truck jam comes around.

sootie

Reaction score
That's a good looking build-very similar to what I did.

Only thing is the trans likely won't last the test drive after phase 1 LOL

97stoker350

Reaction score
An atmo tune deletes studs and trans would be a solid 600. Js with anymore fuel and ur looking at 700 with what you have said. My dads tuned 6.4 put down 565 on an unloaded dyno on 35s and Spartan 300 tune with just intake and exhaust

3brorce

Reaction score
You need to use comma's and real words as it would be much easier to read. No reason we should have to decipher what you are typing.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks great but afe intake won't work with any of those turbo options.

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
Go with the No Limit intake and never worry about what turbo setup you put on it. Mike is easy, sleezy, and beautiful. Oh ya and easy to work with.:toast:

RSK

Reaction score
Man... super jelly of that truck. Platinum white, correct? What color interior?

Thanks I wasn't even looking for that color I originally just wanted plane jane oxford white and wouldn't settle for anything less with black interior but I went and looked at this one and decided it was the truck for me. platinum white it is....black interior as well.

That is oXford white. Platinum white only come on 2011+

it's platinum white, has a flake in it, paint code UG.
False! It was available on 2010 lariats :)
yes it was. this truck was a special order, its an fx4 but the bojack who ordered wanted the chrome package too, so now i have to get the bumpers and mirror caps painted to match in the spring.

I believe it's two different platinum whites..... The one in 2010 was not a metallic platinum white where as the 2011+
it absolutely has a metallic flake in same as the 2011-14's i know of a guy around here who has the same color truck, me and him are the only two around with that paint.
That's a good looking build-very similar to what I did.

Only thing is the trans likely won't last the test drive after phase 1 LOL

thanks. I have my trusty and reliable 7.3 to drive. it doesn't make enough power to hurt anything....I was thinking of slipping in a dpc converter this summer to hold it over, but I know all too well, then the weak link will be the center section getting ripped out of the flex plate or the input shaft and that could easily wipe out the converter and whole transmission....I'll have to check out your build I probably have read it several times but i'm drawing a blank, I've been doing a lot of searching on here to find answers, with good results.

RSK

Reaction score
You need to use comma's and real words as it would be much easier to read. No reason we should have to decipher what you are typing.

this is true.

Looks great but afe intake won't work with any of those turbo options.

I just read the thread where elite added a larger elbow because the afe one wasn't enough, not sure I believe the gains the dyno shows, but it was enough to push me to the no limit intake.

Go with the No Limit intake and never worry about what turbo setup you put on it. Mike is easy, sleezy, and beautiful. Oh ya and easy to work with.:toast:
I plan to I was on the fence but after a little more reading i'm 100% sold on the no limit cold air intake, cac piping, full egr delete. I think that's I should be needing as far piping goes.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Thanks I wasn't even looking for that color I originally just wanted plane jane oxford white and wouldn't settle for anything less with black interior but I went and looked at this one and decided it was the truck for me. platinum white it is....black interior as well.

I hate you! all of my trucks are Oxford. Which I love, don't get me wrong, but a pure platinum white 10 w/ black interior is the ultimate :drool:

I like the chrome package, personally.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
My old truck was one of the earlier trucks with an Elite turbo to see a No Limit intake. I went from not being able to go 3/4-WOT with a big tune to never having to worry again. I had an AFE Stage II with a Pro 5r filter and it didn't keep up with my 71mm at all.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Sounds like a solid build list. Hopefully when you get ready to do this, better rockers are available, but I would probably go ahead and do the rockers and lifters when you pull the valvetrain. Also keep in mind the Tow X is not a drop in.

Latest posts

Members online