PCM Failure? HS Mini Max

bigfords

Reaction score
So here is the story. A guy at work brought his 08 6.4 in and traded it on a new truck. Supposedly, all the guy did was unplug his Mini Max because he wanted to keep it, and now the truck won't start. He ended up leaving the Mini Max, but now for some crazy reason there is a PCM problem. Truck will not start, PATS light flashes, no communication with the PCM at all.

I cannot communicate with the PCM at all. I'm using Ford IDS. I tried programming the PCM like it was blank. Tried using the Mini Max, nothing is working. CAN network shows good continuity. Have good power and grounds at the PCM.
When I run a Network test, the modules on the same network as the PCM fail. When I unplug the PCM and re-run the Network tests, the other modules on the network Pass. Its leading me to believe the PCM is toast.

The guy says all he did was unplug the Mini Max, anybody ruin PCMs in the way? Doesn't make much sense but I don't know where to go next.

Thanks!

Rubenk

Reaction score
I had PATS freak out on me when changing tunes the other day. Didnt realize it was flashing when I started loading the tune, trying going back to stock, back to H&S, back to original tune with no luck. All it would do is click when I hit the key.

I bumped the starter with the wire by the passenger side battery, then it fired right up with the key. Apparently there is a safety built in where it just disables the starter in the PCM for whatever reason(who knows).

Doesnt sound quite like your issue, but worth a shot I guess. Its the black connector behind passenger battery, key on and give it power.

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
I haven't had much to do with the H&S stuff, but have had SCT and others blank PCM's before yes.
Sounds to me like you're on the right track with a possible corrupt PCM, and if its taking down the HS-CAN network, gotta be something wrong with it. IC is the gateway module and PCM is a terminating module. Maybe check the two pins at the PCM (component side) for the HS-CAN should be 120 ohms. I would check both pins 34 and 47 to see if they are shorted to the case.
Also, this may sound stupid, but i had a 6.4 a few years ago now with no pcm communication either, had power and ground and the network was good. Replaced PCM, same problem. Long story short, ended up being the Low Pressure Fuel Pump. The motor was open, and because of the way the PCM monitors the inertia switch, it wouldn't allow it to crank. Easy enough to check. Can see this circuit in wiring diagrams, 6.4 EEC first page circuit CBB71 Blue with orange tracer.

I had a 6.7 all stock the other week I couldn't get to program for the life of me (latest PCM update for the emissions Recall) What I ended up doing was starting a new session with IDS, when it asks if the information is correct, select no. Enter Tear Tag number and then it will force programming. Worked for me, Worth a shot.

bigfords

Reaction score
Good info! Thanks for the input. I'll check the PCMs HS-CAN resistance at the component side, along with the fuel pump. Just a frustrating problem as it never really should have happened. I wasn't there when the guy "disconnected" the Mini Max, but I don't think it really could have messed too much up.

thanks again

bigfords

Reaction score
The guy may have been playing dumb, but he didn't act like he knew much about the Mini Max. Sounds like it was on the truck when he bought it. I don't know that he even tried taking it back to stock...

I really think the PCM is cooked. The TCM does respond on the HS CAN network, so I'm hoping that is still OK. Time will tell.

If I get a used PCM, do all the 6.4 PCMs interchange if they are programmed/calibrated to the truck?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Not sure but if you end up needing a Tcm im pretty sure I have one and I'll give it to you.

sonic blue l

Reaction score
Also check to make sure it's a real dlc. I've had the piggy back ones that monitor vehicle usage look like the factory one. It would allow so called normal ids operation but would blank the PCM if you tried programming. Follow the dlc back to make sure it's not a piggy back dlc.

bigfords

Reaction score
Well I tried a used PCM, but still no luck. I'm trying to program it and I just cannot get communication with the PCM, and now the TCM also.
I checked the HS-CAN right at the PCM itself, and it is good at 120 Ohms.
Tried unplugging the PCM and TCM separately while running a Network test, and they both fail either way.
This thing is getting tough. Only thing I can think of right now is the last 2 digits on the other PCM Part Number I am trying are different, but still from an 08.

Any thoughts? DLC is good. All fuses good. Fuel pump runs. HS-CAN Ohms out good. HS CAN is not shorted to ground or power.

78f100

Reaction score
All pcm do not interchange on these trucks, there are at least 3 different ones I know of. I had a customer with a spartan turn the key off while loading a tune, because he got tired of the dinger... It ruined the tcm and pcm.
Put the original pcm back in and like someone said try bumping the starter wire to the battery, if it starts, all will be fine. I know it sounds crazy but I have had 3 total that has done this to me.

bigfords

Reaction score
Finally got this used PCM to program. Started fresh this morning with a new IDS session and for whatever reason it finally when through and I was able to program both the PCM and TCM with factory programming.

Next question is, is it going to be OK to hook the Mini Max back up and try and download the tunes?
I don't know how these work...are the tunes gone since they were in the old PCM?
Truck started once, but now does not and has a pile of codes due to the DPF being deleted.

Blowby

Reaction score
It will start once without the HS program since Dpf is deleted. Program is a file so it is not lost.

bigfords

Reaction score
Just plugged the Mini Max, says that it did not complete download the previous time, and will go into "Recovery Mode." I did not proceed since the PCM is not the same. Any instruction? Looks like H&S doesn't have any tech support anymore.

Reaction score
Just plugged the Mini Max, says that it did not complete download the previous time, and will go into "Recovery Mode." I did not proceed since the PCM is not the same. Any instruction? Looks like H&S doesn't have any tech support anymore.

If it will let you flash the truck it won't hurt anything. I think it will stop once it realizes that it's a different PCM, and think you've put it on a new truck. Won't hurt to try though, just don't turn the key off mid flash.

sootie

Reaction score
yup-the mini maxx will need to be unlocked i have had everything you explained in this thread happen to me.

78f100

Reaction score
did you try to run the recovery on the old pcm? The mini max may very well recover the old pcm and you can continue using it.

Latest posts

Members online