2005 F350 Was Running, Now Won't Start

imelmo

Reaction score
Messing with our 2005 F350 dually 2wd auto. It has a small tow tune with turbo brake, egr ******, and air intake. Otherwise stock. Was running great but the deltas were high, as much as 25*-30* unloaded.

Decided to change the oil cooler. Got a new one from Ford and put it in. It was pretty choppy at first but I assumed it was probably just air in the system. Drove it for a bit and it didn't seem to clear up any. Additionally, it has a tow tune with turbo brake; at a cruising speed (or very light throttle) you could hear the turbo trying to brake as though you were slowing down. If you gave it more pedal it would stop. Also, if you let off the pedal completely it was real choppy (see vid): https://youtu.be/I8AUDv7YYEg

Had another employee drive it so he could see what it was doing and he drove it for a bit and it killed on him. Got it cranked back up and drove for a little bit again and then killed. Now it will not crank back up.

Once we got it back to the shop, we started looking for anything that may have been unplugged. Turning it over, it does show oil pressure on the dash. During that process one of my employees realized he hadn't put the new oil cooler screen in, so there is no screen at the moment. Don't know if that would cause this somehow or not.

So this is where we are now. Going to put the forgotten screen in first and see what happens although I don't see how that would cause a no start. What else should I be checking? I finally got another AutoEnginuity setup so I can use it. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

ghohouston

Reaction score
Very easy to get trash through the ipr after an oil cooler job. Before anything though, inspect all 3 ficm connectors well, and make sure they're fully seated. Seen issues from that several times.

imelmo

Reaction score
Just fyi, it was indeed the ipr. Went ahead and replaced it instead of cleaning it since it was out. Screen was full of all kinds of junk. Changed the connector on it too since it was all cracked up. Running fine now.

Just need to take it on a longish trip now to see if changing the oil cooler corrected the high delta issue.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.