Project "Second Strike" RCSB 6.4 - RELOADED

BilletGarage

Reaction score
Due to a boneheaded move on my part, most of the picture links in my previous build thread were broken. With no way to correct the problem, I decided it was best to start with a fresh thread. Here is a link to the previous thread for reference: Project "Second Strike" RCSB 6.4

So here it is, reloaded.
-------------------------

I have been in love with the RCSB Powerstrokes ever since I first laid eyes on Gene Feldhan's “Stroked Lightning” build around 2006. Being a go fast guy, it just made sense. A short, light duty, 8 lug truck that could put 700hp and four digits of torque to the tires, without a slew of broken parts in it's wake, became my obsession! When the 6.4 hit the streets in 2007 and 600hp with light mods and a hot tune was realized, I knew I had found the foundation for my future build!

Fast forward to January 2013, I located a 2008 RCLB 6.4 online for a steal! There was only one problem.... it was in Texas and I was in California with no time to travel. With 182,000 miles on the odometer, I figured it had been a fleet vehicle and I was right. I spoke to the owner several times and poured over pictures of it online for weeks. On Valentine's Day, my wife and I were out of town when I got a call back from the owner accepting my ridiculously low offer. I purchased the truck without ever seeing it in person and arranged to have it shipped to the West Coast.

The planning phase went into high gear the minute it rolled off the big rig in early March. I immediately made contact with gurus like Mike Dillehay @ No Limit Fabrication, Eric Eldreth @ Innovative Diesel Performance, and James @ Pro-Precision to seek their support on the build. All were very generous with their time and knowledge with my last truck and nothing has changed in that department.

Meanwhile, a good buddy of mine who worked for Hot Rod Magazine introduced me to Brian Mackey of Mackey's Hot Rods in Huntington Beach, CA. I instantly became a fan of his work and attention to detail. After meeting Brian and crew in person, and discussing my plans for the build, I convinced them to take a brief departure from the classic hot rods they had backed up in the yard. I went about selling the long bed, finding a short bed, and securing some needed parts to get started. The truck rolled into Mackey's shop about two weeks ago and the work began!

The basic goal: To create a pro-touring inspired street/strip truck that emits little to no smoke and puts 625 reliable horsepower to the ground on fuel and 700+ on spray. The engine mod list will be modest but calculated and I will be erring on the side of caution when it comes to reliability issues. The truck won't break any horsepower, torque, or time-slip records but it won't break too many parts either. Most important, it will be fun as hell to drive! And, I WILL be driving it... a lot! :rockon:

I will post the progress pics thus far and continue posting as progress is made. Please ask any questions you have or give me your thoughts along the way, as I'm certainly no expert on these trucks. I will probably learn right along with you as those in-the-know chime in. A warning up front though, this build will likely not move along at Chip Foose OverHaulin' speed. But, I hope to keep a reasonable pace so bear with me. Feel free to prod if you get anxious. :biggun: :D

Below is my vision for Project “Second Strike”! The sport truck :fordoval: should have built! But since they fell short, thank goodness for cut off wheels, welders, and diesel addiction!

Hope you enjoy the journey! :ford:

SecondStrikeRendering_zpse4c3d4d1.png

RSK

Reaction score
how is the progress coming, last I saw you had shortened the frame if i'm not mistaken? i'm sure you have other stuff done as well. just can't seem to remember with all my own stuff going.

BilletGarage

Reaction score
how is the progress coming, last I saw you had shortened the frame if i'm not mistaken? i'm sure you have other stuff done as well. just can't seem to remember with all my own stuff going.

No worries. The truck is back on the road for now. I am going to post pics of the progress up to the current point either tonight or tomorrow. :D Really bummed me out when I inadvertently broke all the picture links in the previous thread. Then I got busy with work. You know how it goes.

RSK

Reaction score
No worries. The truck is back on the road for now. I am going to post pics of the progress up to the current point either tonight or tomorrow. :D Really bummed me out when I inadvertently broke all the picture links in the previous thread. Then I got busy with work. You know how it goes.

I do know how it goes especially owning a landscape company and having customers that have endless amounts of work for me, and having to choose between working my weekends away or going to the beach and out on my buddies cigarette boat...that probably why my project hasn't moved at the pace i want it too, but its getting there...i'll be updating my thread soon as well.

BilletGarage

Reaction score
I do know how it goes especially owning a landscape company and having customers that have endless amounts of work for me, and having to choose between working my weekends away or going to the beach and out on my buddies cigarette boat...that probably why my project hasn't moved at the pace i want it too, but its getting there...i'll be updating my thread soon as well.

Sweet! Looking forward to the progress!:thumbsup:

BilletGarage

Reaction score
The truck is back on the road in a limited capacity. After a few teeth chattering laps around the block (and a call to my chiropractor) it went back in the shop where the overload and one other mid pack leaf spring was pulled. It then went to the old school frame & alignment shop and they confirmed everything got measured and welded back together straight. New upper and lower ball joints were installed as they turned out to be suspect. Truck tracks straight and true down the road in spite of having crappy rubber on the ground right now. During the shortening a DJM 3-5 drop was installed. Now it's basically 3-6 with the overload and one mid-pack leaf pulled. Sits with just a slight rake. May install a softer coil up front and pull another leaf in the future but I will wait until wheels and tires go on for that. Wheel wells were removed for future tire clearance. Was surprised to find there is a lot of room between the tire and the leaf springs. The inner wheel well is shallow though so it had to go for the time being. :)

20140530_192658_zpsc4f73b79.png

20140530_192732_zps726dd121.png

20140528_105449_zps34bfab39.png

20140528_105458_zpsf6bd6fa2.png

BilletGarage

Reaction score
looks factory!

Looking good! Very jealous.....

Thanks guys! Brian and crew at Mackey's Hot Rods do some pretty kick ass work! I went to a local diesel truck meet this past Friday night and several people commented how factory it looked. I almost wish someone made 20" steel versions of the wheels on there in custom width's and offsets. I think it would look cool with a roughed up finish, some acid induced patina, and big steelies. Probably been hanging out at Mackey's shop too much. Starting to dig their style. :)

20140217_164514_zpsb8a59b06.png

20140217_164618_zps227f0869.png

20140217_164605_zps89571441.png

20140217_164544_zpsad20509f.png

20140217_165120_zps756f55fb.png

20140217_164553_zps1efd8f43.png

Last edited:

BilletGarage

Reaction score
Street Scene roll pan mocked up. Not thrilled at all with the quality, design, or fit and finish of these (as several have noted). So, it will probably just be a temporary license plate holder unless I can figure out a way to improve it relatively inexpensively. I'm thinking a steel pan will likely replace it though.

And yes, that is a patent pending, proprietary Duct Tape mounting system there on the sides. LOL

926bef11-8090-48b0-8cf0-82b78676be21_zpsa19251be.png

f474d80f-d456-41fc-bdac-9f3f3e54835c_zps105819fa.png

Latest posts

Members online