06 getting some work done

Diesel625

Reaction score
My motor is about to be pulled out of the truck to rebuild. When I went to check on it today, they showed me what looked like shavings coming through the passenger side up pipe. I didn’t put my hands on them, but it did look like shavings. The up pipe also seemed to be damp. What could it be from? I should find out tomorrow when they pull the heads and start pulling lifters as well.

Diesel625

Reaction score
One of the heads was cracked around an exhaust valve. I’m thinking about getting kill devil heads. Any opinions on them? I’m looking at the cast ones, not the aluminum heads.

Zeb

Reaction score
One of the heads was cracked around an exhaust valve. I’m thinking about getting kill devil heads. Any opinions on them? I’m looking at the cast ones, not the aluminum heads.

I can’t comment on their iron heads, but I have used, and really like, their aluminum heads.
For the difference in price, weight, durability, etc, if you plan on keeping the truck, do the aluminum ones. :poke:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Their urn heads have hrld up fairly well. Pulled a ste off a truck with about 750 hp, that had thrown a rod. Had cracks around the valves as well, but with the pressed in valve seats, was not an issue. Theyre actually running on another motor right now with 0 issues.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Diesel625

Reaction score
Got an update on my motor. The cam bearings were definitely worn, and several lifters were pretty worn down. The block still had crosshatching on all but 2 cylinders, and the crank bearings were worn down too. A piece of metal went through the lpop, and scarred up the front cover. I was thinking of going ahead and rebuilding like originally planned, but I’m leaning towards a built long block instead. Maybe since I plan on keeping the truck for a very long time, I’d rather do the long block. I’m thinking of running a kill devil stage 1, but upgrade to a colt stage 2 cam and Chrome moly push rods. It was suggested to me to run a choate engineering workhorse long block. Any suggestions or experiences would be welcomed. Also, I’m glad to see the old 6.0 made it to 335k miles of very hard work before anything major had to be done. The previous owner ran 15w40 motorcraft oil and filters and serviced it every 3k. after I bought it, I switched to Schaeffers 5w40 with motorcraft filters, and serviced it every 5k.

Diesel625

Reaction score
Got a new long block on order. I’ll be running a kdd stage 1 with kdd chrome moly push rods, and a colt stage 2 cam with 175/stock injectors. They’re pretty busy, so I won’t see it for a while. They’re estimating 14-16 weeks.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Got a new long block on order. I’ll be running a kdd stage 1 with kdd chrome moly push rods, and a colt stage 2 cam with 175/stock injectors. They’re pretty busy, so I won’t see it for a while. They’re estimating 14-16 weeks.
175/stock injectors are a terrible idea. Stock nozzles will not dump 175ccs. Change them to 30s before they get built and shipped.

Zeb

Reaction score
175/stock injectors are a terrible idea. Stock nozzles will not dump 175ccs. Change them to 30s before they get built and shipped.

Why do you say they’re a terrible idea?

I’ve used them quite a bit, and like them, on towing setups. I’ve also seen them make right at 500hp with a small non-vgt.

Curious what you don’t like about them.

Diesel625

Reaction score
From what I’ve gathered, and talked to a few people about, the 175/stock seems to fit exactly what I’m looking for. I just want to build a reliable truck that tows max gvwr, no egt issues, and runs clean. If I can make 500hp, that’s fine. Although, that’s not what I’m looking for. As long as it tows really good, that’s my main goal. If I want to make more power, I’ll just use the old lb7 instead.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Why do you say they’re a terrible idea?

I’ve used them quite a bit, and like them, on towing setups. I’ve also seen them make right at 500hp with a small non-vgt.

Curious what you don’t like about them.
I think the extra ccs is a waste, as the nozzles wont dump it. If youre planning on stock nozzles, why not save the coin and go with 155s, as thats what the nozzle about maxxes out at. If youve got 175s, and are only dumping 155cc worth whats the point of the bigger body?

Its not like the difference between 155, 175 and 190 with 30s on them, as yhe 30s will dump all those body sizes without issue.

Zeb

Reaction score
I think the extra ccs is a waste, as the nozzles wont dump it. If youre planning on stock nozzles, why not save the coin and go with 155s, as thats what the nozzle about maxxes out at. If youve got 175s, and are only dumping 155cc worth whats the point of the bigger body?

Its not like the difference between 155, 175 and 190 with 30s on them, as yhe 30s will dump all those body sizes without issue.

A stock nozzle will dump well over 175cc’s at 2.4 ms. I’ll have to run one on the bench and get some numbers. Been awhile since I have.

That said, a 175/30 will make more power because you can dump more fuel at a more desirable time in the injection window.

Last edited:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
A stock nozzle will dump well over 175cc’s at 2.4 ms. I’ll have to run one on the bench and get some numbers. Been awhile since I have.
Ok,I stand corrected then. I was told 155s were about max of a stock nozzle, so there wouldnt be any point of going any bigger without bumping nozzle sizes.

I'll be over here in the corner now, dont mind me... LOL

Diesel625

Reaction score
How would the 175/stock run on a 1.6ms tune? Should be a pretty good tow tune, shouldn’t it? I also run the atlas 40.

Zeb

Reaction score
Ok,I stand corrected then. I was told 155s were about max of a stock nozzle, so there wouldnt be any point of going any bigger without bumping nozzle sizes.

I'll be over here in the corner now, dont mind me... LOL

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

We both remember how that only a few short years ago many people thought it was stupid to put a 30% nozzle on a 175 or 190 injectors because a 30% nozzle was “too small”. We both know how thoroughly wrong that is.

I think the stock nozzle being too small to dump 175cc’s is a carryover from that same era.

Now I’ve got to get to work and collect some data. LOL

Zeb

Reaction score
How would the 175/stock run on a 1.6ms tune? Should be a pretty good tow tune, shouldn’t it? I also run the atlas 40.

It should do quite well. I run a 1.8ms tune on our 450 that tows heavy all the time.
I’m not a big fan of FICM tuning and ECM tuning combined on a small injector.

Diesel625

Reaction score
I might flash the ficm back to stock. We’ll see how it runs in a few months when I get it back.

Latest posts

Members online