Power steering and sticking brake

jtgf250

Reaction score
Knew I had a rear brake sticking. We'll get to work and can smell the pads and the steering is tight/hard to turn. Clean and grease slide pins and notice driver side rear cal is tight to press in. Put new rear brake lines on and a power steering pump as the steering had started to get tight. Drive it and rear driver call does the same thing so replaced it. Now today after driving make some stops and steering is getting tight unless I give it some throttle. Then can smell brake pads from passenger rear. Get it home and can't smell the brake pads. New rear lines. New power steering pump. Maybe a power steering line or master cylinder? Don't want to throw parts at it. Any help appreciated.

Arisley

Reaction score
Did you bleed the power steering pump.

Jack up the front so the wheels are off the ground. Fill the pump, start the truck and turn the wheel lock to lock 123 times. Keep an eye on the fluid level and keep it topped off.

On the brakes, double check the slide pins and calipers. Sometimes the holes have to be cleaned out also.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Did you bleed the power steering pump.

Jack up the front so the wheels are off the ground. Fill the pump, start the truck and turn the wheel lock to lock 123 times. Keep an eye on the fluid level and keep it topped off.

On the brakes, double check the slide pins and calipers. Sometimes the holes have to be cleaned out also.
I thought it was 124 times?

live life full throttle

jtgf250

Reaction score
I cleaned the slide pins and holes each time really well and wiped out excess grease. Also jacked up front end and the lock to lock for about ten minutes and could turn with 1 finger. Gonna check u joints next as well.

Arisley

Reaction score
What kind of grease are you using. It needs to be slide pin grease. I also put a dab wher the caliper meets the bracket.

jtgf250

Reaction score
Its slide pin grease. Green stuff. I'll have to check brand. I do the same and also usually a dab on the pad ends where they sit in the bracket. The one caliper was definitely bad. Was very hard to compress and had to emote with bracket to get off when I replaced it. Haven't had a chance to check the other yet.

Was focusing on the steering issue.

bordo380

Reaction score
I thought I would ask for help on my excursion...

I changed PS pump due to no assist while stopped when brake was applied. I couldn’t turn the wheel at all with out reving it up like crazy.

During pump change I added redhead box. After bleeding for ever the brake pedal was still squishy and the assist was still poor. Now I decided to put a new hydro boost. This helped the pedal but I’m back to having zero assist while stopped. I thought I had a bad line so I checked them all. Blew air through each one to check for a blockage.
Sooooo I decided this ps pump was bad.
I put another one on. Still a reman Cardone.
It immediately turned with ease. I guess other pump was bad.
Now after a test drive I’m still having similar issues again when when brakes are applied.

Any advice before I do a 3rd pump? I’m about to drive this thing off a cliff. My bleeding techniques might be the issue or I’m blowing the pump some how. I’ve bled with engine off, wheels off the ground. Lock to lock several times “124” times and it overflows like crazy. While running it seems to stay level. I’m lost. Help please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastersteve

Reaction score
You need to bleed with the engine running, wheels on the ground.

Turn the wheel lock to lock and pump the brakes alternately.

When the fluid gets aerated or foamy looking, let it sit and idle for a few.

bordo380

Reaction score
Thank you. I will do that some more. I did that on the last round and it did get foamy until it quit. Fingers crossed.

bordo380

Reaction score
Well I think this pump is gone too. It won’t turn but about 1/2 a turn when in park. Even with the foot off the brake reving it up it won’t turn. I must keep blowing these pumps or something. I read that using some of these pumps on diesels may not provide enough pressure since they are for gas engines too.

Latest posts

Members online