Non vgt thinking outside the box

sootie

Reaction score
I'm not into countless tune revisions altering the shift strategy to mask a bad turbo design. A little tweak hear and there is fine but when your locking out compleat gears the kit is subpar in my opinion.

The only kit out there right now that seems to have zero drivability issues is the ATS aroura 3000.
I talked to these guys and it is supposed to spool as fast or faster then a 11-14 truck and be good for 500hp.
It's a 58mm turbo with a .85 T3 housing. They wouldn't divulge the turbine size .

I still think a 62/68/.83 gated be a great little turbo.

If I was going to go with a non vgt , it would have to perform dam good as my wife pulls her horse trailer with it and the last thing I need is her saying I wreaked our $60,000 truck . Lol
That kit is far subpar from the others mentioned in this thread. Nothing like a smaller turbo than the factory vgt to make your kit drive well...

Swaan

Reaction score
That kit is far subpar from the others mentioned in this thread. Nothing like a smaller turbo than the factory vgt to make your kit drive well...

I was just stating the specs for there 3000 , not personally endorsing it. You do know the 11-14 vgts have a 41mm inducer compressor right?
Im willing to bet the ATS 58mm wheel probley flows the same or maybe even more then the stock 61mm in the 15 and up vgts.

Sootie, I know your not a huge non vgt fan, I'm just trying to explore other options to appease the daily driver that uses his truck for hauling things . Not shooting for 12 sec 1/4 mile time slips

sootie

Reaction score
I was just stating the specs for there 3000 , not personally endorsing it. You do know the 11-14 vgts have a 41mm inducer compressor right?
Im willing to bet the ATS 58mm wheel probley flows the same or maybe even more then the stock 61mm in the 15 and up vgts.

Sootie, I know your not a huge non vgt fan, I'm just trying to explore other options to appease the daily driver that uses his truck for hauling things . Not shooting for 12 sec 1/4 mile time slips

inducer size is hardly relevant on an 11-14 turbo because of the wheel/housing design...

Black AOD

Reaction score
After a lot of talking and shopping and considering, I'm down to two options for turbos for mine when I do it as the truck will finally be tooned/diet.

One of those options will be an H&S single Non-VGT kit (which I'm leaning towards) and it will utilize a Precision 6870 charger. It will be wastegated and I'll have an Exergy 10mm Pump for fueling. If the 10mm isn't enough I'll be doing 30% or 45% exergy injectors to help it out but hopefully I won't have to do these.

The best Single Turbo Non VGT setup 6.7 I ever drove had an elite precision 6870 turbo kit on it with twin pumps and 15% injectors (plus built motor & trans) but regardless that truck alone sold me on how well that turbo can perform on these trucks. Tuning will be key as Motostroker has mentioned prior, mainly in the trans tuning.

Black AOD

Reaction score

If that's what you're doing, do a small modded VGT like the Fleece 63 Cheetah and be done.

Swaan

Reaction score
inducer size is hardly relevant on an 11-14 turbo because of the wheel/housing design...

True , true. It's a real unique design, we can all agree it's just to small and barely adaquate for stock fuel. ( hence the failures)

Swaan

Reaction score
If that's what you're doing, do a small modded VGT like the Fleece 63 Cheetah and be done.

You must be reading my mind.! Lol
I've been looking real hard at that charger lately.

In the end I'd probley be better off just staying with a vgt because I'm real fussy with the way my truck drives. I'd love a fixed vane and all the benefits that come with it but it's the 1 or 2 flaws in drivability that will make me regret my decision.

Motostroker

Reaction score
After a lot of talking and shopping and considering, I'm down to two options for turbos for mine when I do it as the truck will finally be tooned/diet.

One of those options will be an H&S single Non-VGT kit (which I'm leaning towards) and it will utilize a Precision 6870 charger. It will be wastegated and I'll have an Exergy 10mm Pump for fueling. If the 10mm isn't enough I'll be doing 30% or 45% exergy injectors to help it out but hopefully I won't have to do these.

The best Single Turbo Non VGT setup 6.7 I ever drove had an elite precision 6870 turbo kit on it with twin pumps and 15% injectors (plus built motor & trans) but regardless that truck alone sold me on how well that turbo can perform on these trucks. Tuning will be key as Motostroker has mentioned prior, mainly in the trans tuning.

You won’t be disappointed in the H&S Kit. I love mine.

I was going to do the same thing but utilize a 6466 precision. Will need to tweak some piping most likely though to clear some things but it won’t be too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Black AOD

Reaction score
You won’t be disappointed in the H&S Kit. I love mine.

I was going to do the same thing but utilize a 6466 precision. Will need to tweak some piping most likely though to clear some things but it won’t be too bad.

In talking to Dallas, the only change you should need in piping is the little 90* piece coming off the BW turbo compressor cover outlet. The precision doesnt have the V-Band there that the BW turbo does have so you'd have to modify that bit of it. Everything else should be G2G.

I would initially think to do a 6466 as well but I drove Pete's truck (White Mamba) when he had the 6446 and then drove it again later on with the 6870 he swapped in...the 6870 spooled literally the same if not better than the old 6466 and the truck gained 80whp and a sh*tload more torque with no tuning change if I remember right. It blew my mind.

Keep in mind Pete's setup was a fully built 6.7 motor top to bottom with one of Elite's first built 6R's, twin pumps and small modded RCD injectors so a lot more air and fuel to push the turbo...It def. wasn't a stock setup.

So for a stock fuel truck, the 6466 might be better I would think.

IMO though the option of swapping to a stroker 10mm cp4 capable of supplying 800-850 hp worth of fuel is just so easy (and the exergy pump is more reliable than the stock cp4) to be able to help drive either the 6466 or the 6870 so..... just my .02$

Reaction score
Don't forget that you aren't at high altitude, and your landscape is so flat you can see yesterday if you look in your rear view...

Gets hillier when you get out to by Brandon. We haul calves to the Brandon auction mart every spring and used my truck this spring. Trans Canada through spruce woods isn't flat either and I've done that no problems. And if you get over to the pilot mound swan lake area of south-western Manitoba it gets real rolly polly with some steep hills, I've done that area with a cattle trailer too.

50_shooter

Reaction score
I’ve been running a 6870 for a couple years now. Dual pumps, stock motor. Started with a 6466 at 30k miles or so, wanted more so switched to 6870 at around 70k. Have 150k on it now. Dynoed 703.7. A little Smokey at times but not any worse than 6466. I would never put a 6466 back on. Some would say it’s a miracle, but I have hammered this engine in multiple sled pulls at full power without any major issues.

Motostroker

Reaction score
I’ve been running a 6870 for a couple years now. Dual pumps, stock motor. Started with a 6466 at 30k miles or so, wanted more so switched to 6870 at around 70k. Have 150k on it now. Dynoed 703.7. A little Smokey at times but not any worse than 6466. I would never put a 6466 back on. Some would say it’s a miracle, but I have hammered this engine in multiple sled pulls at full power without any major issues.

With my luck the second I install that turbo my rods are packing their bags and heading south.

Black AOD

Reaction score
I remember when you did that setup, I always liked following how your truck did with that setup. How does it spool for you with stock injectors and is your trans still stock?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

50_shooter

Reaction score
It spools ok, wish I had 3.73 gears like Pete had. I tow with it, but I turn fuel down so it don’t smoke too bad.

Tranny is not stock. I had Morgan build it when turbo kit went on. First sled pull I broke my hitch and truck took off like a rocket. That release of energy wadded the internals of the trans up. Knowing all that Morgan rebuilt it under warranty, and it has been trouble free since.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.