7.3 Turbo talk

Short Bus

Reaction score
Actually, I haven't spent much researching that cause I really didn't want to go that route. It seems like my 38r is about at it's limit with my somewhat stock injectors. I can see a lil over 35psi already. However it looks like I may get a little more enjoyment out of it while I build another motor. I never claimed to be more knowledgable than you but, thanks for another unneeded uninformative comment.. O whats an IDE? And, what nozzle you recomend, bu uddy?

1. Your not at the 38r limit with stock injectors
2. Jason covered the IDE part
3. I don't know any of your mods might help if you filled out your sig
4. Just to make this clear, I'm not your buddy.

Is that informative enough to meet your criteria?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Why do you think reliability and 650Hp are mutually exclusive?
I dont think they need to be! I ran at whatever level i was at in the end, for plenty of miles with very little issue. But it was constantly on the mind whenever i heard a little noise or something.
I have no doubts a great engine builder can put something together to last forever at 650, i just wasnt capable!
Who said it wasn't the best option, one of the greenie weenie IDE's? As far as I'm concerned the 38r is perfect for 300-450.
Yeah i agree! Same with the D66
A 38R can get you in that range, no problem. Of course, you have to live with the noise.
Is it Pocket that has the 38R and 250/200's that is dialed in just right and he's getting great performance?
Yeah i believe it is Pocket

200% nozzles seems to be when people start seeing back pressure go through the roof and possible failures (although with a 38r, havent heard of many failures)

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
For as many people that I know that hit 450-500hp with a D66 without issues. I've seen far more need to be rebuilt at 325-400hp. Sadly aren't bullet proof.

Definitely not bullet proof, agreed! But if you keep boost 40 or below they seem to be holding up well, possibly throw a gate on it also?

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
The gate in the collector or gates on both up pipes seems like a good option. However most people aren't going to want to mess around with spending close to $400 + a gate then mounting it to run a drop in charger. At that point you might as well just spend the coin & run a T4I/T4 mount & the turbo of your choice.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
The gate in the collector or gates on both up pipes seems like a good option. However most people aren't going to want to mess around with spending close to $400 + mounting a gate on a drop in charger. At that point you might as well just spend the coin & run a T4I/T4 mount & the turbo of your choice.

I agree, spending money on a gate may not be worth it.

But still, how many D66 turbos at 450hp with tuning to keep them at or below 40 lbs has failed because it was being pushed past its limits?

Reaction score
:doh: i spent 15-20 minutes searching for this thread this morning..now seeing the post date, it looks like it was right here on page one the whole time.. :cursing:

im looking for a good turbo for the stix in my sig..thinking GTX42..if im not happy then try 38/47... whats your thoughts?? i play but not race and tow 15000-to 20000 GVW

Last edited:

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
I agree, spending money on a gate may not be worth it.

But still, how many D66 turbos at 450hp with tuning to keep them at or below 40 lbs has failed because it was being pushed past its limits?

Since you asked I dug up a few threads-

D66 blown again

Need a new turbo

D66 info & discussion

Lost my D66

There are more I just can't dig up, seems that the newer ones are holding up better. A close friend of mine a fresh rebuilt D66 blow the thrust bearing less then a year of run time with stage 1s at 350hp.
I think for a stage 1-2 they are a good turbo. I personally just don't trust em enough for hybrids. That being said I know 3starJR (which only about 10 of you might know who I'm talking about or had the pleasure of talking to before) was one of the first people to take his up to 500hp & daily drive it without issues. Not bashing the D66 BTW, I just don't believe it's a reliable/consistent 500hp turbo.

WIESEL

Reaction score

10 4 good buddy!!!
I never claimed to be an expert, just chimed in on a 38r qssb post.
Then, got slandered cause, you are the expert and didn't agree with my statement. Lmao
I have read alot of your post and appreciate your know how. I just dont see the reasoning for the hazing.
I guess its just necessary.
Any how, what is the safe zone for the 38r, psi wise?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Craig, call WOP. Several different proven turbo's that'll drop right in and work. Only thing you'll have to do is use your credit card :D

Good to see you posting here too

Sapps

Reaction score
Use my credit card., hell that's all I'm good at doing anyway! And I'm always here, been on these boards since 99, read alot just post very little. :)

Supersize

Reaction score
I have a few questions about the S467 FMW turbo. What kind of horsepower range does the turbo have? Could I spool this turbo with my 160/stock nozzle injectors?

I have a new S366 and Irate T-4 mount in the garage and I am stuck on what to do. My horsepower goals are 500-550 and I know I will have swap my rods or motors. Don't really want to add a waste gate for the 66 later and could grow into the 467? Any info would would help.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.