Water/meth kit questions

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Ok guys most of the trucks I see on here running water/meth kits have a lot more going on than I do with my truck.. It's just a basic 38r and stage 1s from casserly,studs, fuel system, etc...... I'm looking at Water/meth kits after bill at PHP tuned a truck that with pretty much the same combo i have and made 440hp with the addition of just the meth injection. Now I have looked at all the kits on coolingmist's site till my head hurts and while I would love to go straight to the nicest kit they have I'm trying to do this on 1 a budget and 2 the simpler the better principle. I don't want multiple nozzles and stages if I'm not going to see gains I wouldn't see with just a basic boost referenced kit. I want it to be done right and safe but besides the fine tuning adjustments and all the extra bells and whistles the more expensive kits offer would they actually make more power or be safer for my engine? I'm just trying to find a way to do this keeping my wallet happy and still making as much power as I SAFELY can... Also I have like a 8 gallon aluminum fuel cell out of a drag car my buddy had can I use that as a tank as long as I pull the foam out? I was thinking of 1 small tank for holding the water/meth combo and the 8 gallon when I'm on trips to just use straight water to keep temps down. Thanks in advance for any info and if someone already has a thread discussing simple kits please send me a link so I don't waste anyones time... Thanks again!

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
AIS-alcoholinjectionsystems.com got my kit for 400 bucks, simple and good customer service, there out of columbus, ohio. Tested my truck and cooled EGT's around 200 degrees, kinda want to find some boost juice or something for more of a power output

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
well, simpler is better? cmgs stage 2 diesel. fits in your guage pod, single stage, easy hook up, mite want to change the nozzle from a #10 to something a little smaller, say a #5 or a #7.

i have the stg 3 mpg plus. two stages allowing more variablility. hooks up the same as that stage 2, except for a additional nozzle and solenoid. stg 2 injects based on boost only, stg 3 injects on boost, or egt, or boost/egt.

mine is set up to inject based on egt, with a boost thresh hold. meaning even if i have 1200* of egt, if i let off the go pedal, and go under 2 psi of boost, the kit shuts off. low rpm/low boost with high flow of water will make the truck start to stall, run REAL rough.

if your not mechanically inclined, and do not want to pay some one to get a kit installed, just get the stg 2. hook up a boost line to the cmgs, run some wires to the pump, run hose from pump to nozzles and your done. its that easy.

the stg 3 is a tad more complicated.you need to do all the stg 2 stuff, and tap into the egt probe you have, or install one and tap into that. and there are more wires to hook up, such as the flow sensor, some fail safe stuff, stg 2 solenoid, just off the top of my head. its not hard, just can be overwhelming if your not mechanically inclined.

in my pic:

1. check valve and flow sensor. the stg 2 only has the check valve. flow sensor lets me know that water is flowing through the nozzles, or at least flowing through the flow sensor.

2. stg 2 solenoid. only on the mpg plus. turns the second nozzle on and off.

3. stg 1 nozzle.

4. stg 2 nozzle

5. main feed from pump

nice, compact, under the hood. drill the map sensor bracket, and everything sits pretty.

thuglike

Reaction score
1) Cooling Mist is the best kit on the market...bar none!!!
Dave can be a dik but his product is simply the best. Kenny at KT Performance can hook you up.

2) For your application the cmg controller would be best, it's simple to install, set-up and use.

Don't be alarmed by stages and nozzles and so on. IMO a dual stage with 1 nozzle per would set you right up. Set the first stage to inject at 15 lbs and the second at 30 or so lbs of boost. At those pressures...YOU CAN NOT HURT YOUR TRUCK no matter what nozzle size you run. You can test the system with different sized nozzles til you get your desired outcome. I tuned mine til my egt's stopped in their tracks...they didn't go down they stayed put once the second stage hit. Everyone is different with this.

If you add meth...don't go over 35% if you want to stay totally safe. That amount of methanol will keep the water from freezing in the winter and add a few ponies. Nozzle placement is simple too...cool side I/C pipe..fast, easy, neat and clean.

It's about the safest way to add some power and drop egt's there is.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Thanks guys I was talking to whoever runs the coolingmist FB page and they were very helpful... I'm thinking about just getting the basic stage 1 kit for 299 since for the time being amd see what kind of gains I get and then as money allows buy the cmgs controller and what not he said the kits were fully upgradeable so I thought that was a plus

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
my brain fade moment of yesterday. say i have a pic, and then dont post it. :D here.

Attachments

• water inj.jpg
    water inj.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 80

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I'll jump in here more when I am back at work next week, but I started with water injection about 8 years ago, with just a WW and a chip... and moved up from there.

I'll give ya what ever info you want on Monday.

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
dave @swamps says over 26% dangerous, don't run boost juice without cutting it (59%)... good horsepower gains but cracked all 8 of my pistons after a year of pulling (this was a while ago and i'd like to think i've learned a little since then) I don't run more than just -20 washer fluid now and thats only in the winter to keep it from freezing... oh i did run it on busch at one pull because we were out of water... that actually worked well :toast:

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Thank you all for the posts I'm really hoping I will be able to get 450hp with my combo with the addition of a meth kit actually i don't care if I reach 450 as much as I hope I can get some decent times at the track... Because as of now all I have done is run it on a g-tech , meter and with traction. Problems I got a best of like a 9.98 in the 1/8th and well that sucks haha

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
one last piece of advice. just a friendly suggestion.

if your getting a water inj kit for cooling, fine, more power to ya, join the crowd.

if your getting a water inj kit for power, dont. your asking for trouble. you misjudge a ratio one time and you chit a motor.

what are you getting a kit for? power or cooling?

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I would like it for a little extra power at the track yes, maybe a 30-40hp gain and also cooling as with the 4.10 gears I really turn some RPMs and would like it to be as cool as possible if I used meth it would just be a very low mixture and mostly water as I don't want anything going kaboom

TARM

Reaction score
You can use if for making more power indirectly but directly for power such as running meth with it you are taking a chance. I agree with TT and others its job directly should be cooling. But if having that extra cooling allows you to run more fuel that would normally make you too hot but with it you can keep it inline and make more power then yes you can use it in that way to make more power.

Latest posts

Members online