Water cooling on your turbos- why's and how by Garrett

TARM

Reaction score
There has been a few threads where the question of how important it is to hook up the water lines to the gaarett bb turbos that have this function. I know some have in the past and present not hooked them up and others have.

Garrett posted a white paper to answer questions and explain why its important. I thought this could be helpful and alos has a few good pics of the inside of the CHRA which some might find interesting to compare the dif to the journals.

Garrett White Paper 1 - Water cooling

T

JDub

Reaction score
Never ran water in my gt4202r. Had it for over a year, maybe I should've. Think it would've helped it from being a laggy undriveable pile?

Gearhead

Reaction score
The reason they last as long as they do on a diesel with no water are the average temperatures of the EGTs compared to a gasser. I was told by a garrett engineer that on a gasoline engine not running water there will start to be damage to the turbo within 100 miles of steady state driving.

Fl Stroker

Reaction score
So water is a must for longevity? Who else is running it with water? Who's ran it with out water. how long have you had it?

TARM

Reaction score
The real question is why would you even chance it!?!. We are talking $15-$20 in hose and fittings. About 10 mins to install. Not a single downside I can really think of. I know the sound of the turbo changed over time in at least one not hooked up to water. Could that be from degradation of the CHRA seals? Who knows.

Fl Stroker

Reaction score
I am completely with you on getting it hooked up and will make sure that mine is hooked up as well. I was just curious since many have been running not hook up.

Side note truck is running and getting live tuned this week. Should be able to pick up in 2 wks. Doing the break in. Can't wait.

TARM

Reaction score
I think what webare looking at with diesel street applications is accelerated long term wear. The more uou would run it hard and shut it down the worse. But all one has to do is compare the area that would normally be filled with oil between a water app and none water app turbo housing. I think the more careful you are about allowing the turbo to cool down before shutting down the slower that damage will occur. This is also added insurance for if/when you do end up shutting gown right after high egt operation.

I thought the white paper was also helpful in presenting visual rrepresentations and pics of the various parts for thise that did not know what these looked like. Should help to have a better undrstanding of function etc when you can see the inner workings.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I ran water on my precision, i figured a 4300 dollar turbo could use some water

Alot of cat turbos use water lines even on journal bearing turbos, but alot of them run at full load all day long.

Also i have heard that in journal bearing applications there is enough oil flowing thru the center section to remove the heat from the center section, but ball bearing turbos run a restriction fitting and there is no longer enough oil to remove heat.

Seams silly to me not to plumb it, you can do it right into the heater hose in no time at all, seams like cheap insurance

Latest posts

Members online