A little build advice on a 6.7 single cab?

lxcoupe

Reaction score
Hey guys I am the proud new owner of a '16 6.7 regular cab and my goals are to make the truck run nearly as strong as my old 6.4 regular cab. My 6.4 ran for 90k trouble free miles (before I sold it) and ran 12.70s @ 106 with only an S&B, *** ******, and IDP tune. Fairly common for a 6.4. Is it possible to make my stock turbo '15+ run like my 6.4 did? I don't tow anything more than a car trailer, I'm open to fuel system and turbo changes if necessary to achieve that same reliable ~600rwhp level that my 6.4 had, but I want fast spool times. I recently drove a buddy's 2011 single cab with a 66 (unsure of brand) and it felt terribly gutless down low, but an absolute animal once it got going. I'd say my priorities are throttle response and drivability, and not all out power, but my 6.4 had both and I'm a newb to 6.7's.

sootie

Reaction score
you wont get that off idle response like you had with a six four however, you will be able to make similar power quite easily. Hot tuned 15+ six sevens make around 580HP.

If you need more than that, i would recommend an upgraded drop in turbo from Midwest Diesel, as well as a stroker hpfp or dual pumps. You would then be able to make 650+ HP which is getting near the safe limit of what the bottom end will hold.

The next step from there would be adding a large atmosphere turbo in a compound setup which will max out your stock injectors in the low 700s. You are in rod territory at that point, your bottom end is on borrowed time.

lxcoupe

Reaction score
you wont get that off idle response like you had with a six four however, you will be able to make similar power quite easily. Hot tuned 15+ six sevens make around 580HP.

If you need more than that, i would recommend an upgraded drop in turbo from Midwest Diesel, as well as a stroker hpfp or dual pumps. You would then be able to make 650+ HP which is getting near the safe limit of what the bottom end will hold.

The next step from there would be adding a large atmosphere turbo in a compound setup which will max out your stock injectors in the low 700s. You are in rod territory at that point, your bottom end is on borrowed time.

I definitely don't want to build the bottom end, or the trans, so I guess I'll be staying stock turbos or checking out the MWD or similar setups. I'm guessing that fast spool times are generally associated with VGT turbos, and that the larger aftermarket offerings are usually always non VGT?

sootie

Reaction score
I definitely don't want to build the bottom end, or the trans, so I guess I'll be staying stock turbos or checking out the MWD or similar setups. I'm guessing that fast spool times are generally associated with VGT turbos, and that the larger aftermarket offerings are usually always non VGT?

The trans will last a long while at 650HP. My single cab made 668HP / 1248 TQ a couple weeks back, with a midwest turbo and stroker fuel pump. I have 30k miles of inexplicable abuse on a 250k mile transmission and only this morning has it showed significant signs of malfunction LOL

All turbos i am discussing are VGT (except if you do a large atmosphere in a compund setup-that would be fixed vane). In addition to being VGT, they are all "modified" stock turbos so they utilize factory housings.

The fast spool times on a six four are because of the tiny set of compound turbos.

You wont hurt the trans or bottom end with good tuning and a drop in turbo

lxcoupe

Reaction score
The trans will last a long while at 650HP. My single cab made 668HP / 1248 TQ a couple weeks back, with a midwest turbo and stroker fuel pump. I have 30k miles of inexplicable abuse on a 250k mile transmission and only this morning has it showed significant signs of malfunction LOL

All turbos i am discussing are VGT (except if you do a large atmosphere in a compund setup-that would be fixed vane). In addition to being VGT, they are all "modified" stock turbos so they utilize factory housings.

The fast spool times on a six four are because of the tiny set of compound turbos.

You wont hurt the trans or bottom end with good tuning and a drop in turbo

Thanks! Are there any drop-in turbos that have as fast or faster spool times as stock? Or is that when the billet wheel upgrades come into play.

sootie

Reaction score
Thanks! Are there any drop-in turbos that have as fast or faster spool times as stock? Or is that when the billet wheel upgrades come into play.
Not sure what your after here. Any turbo with the stock turbine, will spool essentially the same as stock. Bear in mind, if your truck isn't tuned yet, there is spool currently being left on the table. When you get into the larger turbos with modified turbines, they will spool a fraction slower, but make far more top end power due to less choking at high rpm. None of the modified turbos will spool as slow as a non vgt setup.

My turbo is a stock turbine, with 65.5mm compressor wheel. It spools at exactly the same rpm as a stock 15 running a good tune.

lxcoupe

Reaction score
Not sure what your after here. Any turbo with the stock turbine, will spool essentially the same as stock. Bear in mind, if your truck isn't tuned yet, there is spool currently being left on the table. When you get into the larger turbos with modified turbines, they will spool a fraction slower, but make far more top end power due to less choking at high rpm. None of the modified turbos will spool as slow as a non vgt setup.

My turbo is a stock turbine, with 65.5mm compressor wheel. It spools at exactly the same rpm as a stock 15 running a good tune.

How do you feel about the MP64S from MWD? They claim it spools even faster than a factory 61.

https://www.midwestdieselauto.com/s...e_MP-Series_Turbo_Assembly_for_2015-2017.html

lxcoupe

Reaction score
Yes. A non issue.

How do you feel about the 6R140 tuning issues? On my 6.4, IDP absolutely nailed the 5R110 tune and I never thought twice about it. The 6R140 is a different beast and has me worried.

sootie

Reaction score
How do you feel about the 6R140 tuning issues? On my 6.4, IDP absolutely nailed the 5R110 tune and I never thought twice about it. The 6R140 is a different beast and has me worried.
I've never heard about tuning issues. On the 17+ trucks it is necessary to reset the KAM after you tune it in order to have a good shifting experience.

Reaction score
OP curious what made you switch over if your 6.4 was running nice and pulling strong. I have a 6.4 single cab and love it.

Latest posts

Members online