Change front shocks on 2001 F250 4x4

Jonesky

Reaction score
How much of a pita? Weekend casual wrenched only. scrubilicious.

Just doing the fronts with another pair of bilsteins.

Betarocker

Reaction score
Really depends on where the truck has lived. Can be super easy, but can also be a royal bitch if 17 years in the rust belt.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Make sure you have a gameplan for compressing the shocks. My bushings were super tight, so I couldn't just hand compress them and pop them in. With my Fox shocks, I ended up using a ratchet strap so I could hold it long enough to work it in. I'm sure there is a better tool though. It's possible that I'm just a weakling compared to the rest of the guys on here. Lol!

Just thinking about it, make sure you jack from the frame and that should make it much easier. I know that seems like a no brainer, but if you always lift your truck with the axle, then you might not catch it at first.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jonesky

Reaction score
It's pretty mint and there are Bilstein on there now for about 70K and I've lubed the threads with wd40 for a couple days. Have been home a little ill and thought I would remove the tires last night but I'll be $&^#* if I can figure out how to floor jack the right side of the truck. Either the leaves are in the way of the frame or the stabilizer is. If I could find a block maybe I could under that 4 bolt plate on the right side.

I dread trying to R&R with tires still on...

PDT1081

Reaction score
It's pretty mint and there are Bilstein on there now for about 70K and I've lubed the threads with wd40 for a couple days. Have been home a little ill and thought I would remove the tires last night but I'll be $&^#* if I can figure out how to floor jack the right side of the truck. Either the leaves are in the way of the frame or the stabilizer is. If I could find a block maybe I could under that 4 bolt plate on the right side.

I dread trying to R&R with tires still on...

Turn the wheels all the way to the right, and that should give plenty of room to do the left side. Do the opposite for the other.

Latest posts

Members online