6.4 rockers wore severely.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
i have a 2008 here with 126,000 miles,that threw no.7 intake rocker.

i pulled all the rockers on that side,and all the ball ends that ride on the bridges are wore severely. like almost flush with the face of the tip retainer.

you can grab the tip and pull them right out of the rocker pocket.

how many cases might there be?

anyone seen this,this bad? i will be pulling the other side apart later as well.

truck had a cont/balance fault code for no.2 and 7.

also a no.7 miss fire code.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Seems as though it is pretty common, the rocker arms off the 6.0s are a very good upgrade IMO

im looking at them as well. the only difference between the two are,they're is not any oil holes in the rocker.

the concept of how the 6.4 rocker recieves oil in the tip is stuipd. it spews out the pushrod hole,runs down the top edge of the rocker,and in the tip feed hole.

the 6.0 doesnt have any of those oil hole,so i can't wrap my head around how that tip(on the 6l) recieves any lube.

however i haven't seen issues like this on the 6.0. a broken rocker here and there. sure but no wear like this.

the pushrods are even wore at the rocker end(on the ball).

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Stupid design for sure, the minute my valve covers come off I am going to replace the rockers with factory ones or 6.0 ones. Too many stories of this happening

umbrae

Reaction score
Happened to me. Except when it broke it took down a couple of pushrods, I thought it had grenaded.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
just got the rockers from ford this morning. i ordered them for a 6.0.

other than the bases,they're the same rocker commonized for service parts.

i think everyone that has run into this issue with the 6.4,should post up what oil they're using.

i think maybe the 6.0 guys not having this issue,is due to the quality of oil we use for good injector life??

thoughts?

Nic

Reaction score
seems to me if the ones on a 6.4 are ported for oil then a lubrication wear situation shouldnt occur. what oil do you use and how far do you stretch changes?

Ive heard that the oil on a 6.4 should be changed about every 3500 miles because of the stock regen mode and all the heat and stress it creates. Now if it was driven like this for lets say 50k stock before it was tuned and oil changes at every 5-6k, could this cause the pre mature wear of these and the associated parts? Ive heard of a couple of 6.4s having similar issues and spinning cam lobes? They run the hell out of them and dont change the oil for about 7-8k on CONVENTIONAL oil..cant be good.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
seems to me if the ones on a 6.4 are ported for oil then a lubrication wear situation shouldnt occur. what oil do you use and how far do you stretch changes?

Ive heard that the oil on a 6.4 should be changed about every 3500 miles because of the stock regen mode and all the heat and stress it creates. Now if it was driven like this for lets say 50k stock before it was tuned and oil changes at every 5-6k, could this cause the pre mature wear of these and the associated parts? Ive heard of a couple of 6.4s having similar issues and spinning cam lobes? They run the hell out of them and dont change the oil for about 7-8k on CONVENTIONAL oil..cant be good.

its a customers truck. i will ask him what oil he uses,and how long he runs it. this truck is deleted and tuned. i dont know for how long though.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I think excessive idle is a big contributor. Lower oil pressure at idle? That and a lot of regens. Seems to be more exhaust rockers than intake. Due to heat during regen possibly?

HD F250

Reaction score
Guess I can expect to add this to build list. The list just keeps growing, but I might as well do them while the cab is off and studs and drivetrain are going in.

Thanks, for the heads up!

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
i just fired this thing up about twenty minutes ago. cleared adaptives,and codes.

theres a audible chip-ticking-knocking noise coming and going from no 7.

sounds and feels like a valve guide,because im feeling around while its running,and i feel it resignating through the valve spring,when it starts making the noise.

looks like this is turning into a cab off exploration.

ColtonP

Reaction score
Dad has 130K on his 08 and needs to replace his. The stealership is telling him that they have to pull the cab. How hard is it if you do it with the cab on?

Latest posts

Members online