New drop in turbo options

euroford

Reaction score
interesting that we have some drop in turbo options showing up, including for us E99 guys. I was pretty dead set on going with a T4 364.5SXE, but am considering going the drop in route as I have already dealt with up pipes, pedestal etc. and the cost way lower.

the KC38r has gotten a considerable amount of attention on the forums, they plan to offer an E99 version but are being a bit more cagey about when that will hit the streets.

what piqued my interest in the topic is that it looks like Dieselsite is coming out with a turbo very comparable to the KC38r, for a bit less money, that should start shipping in the next couple of months.

link on Swamps website below: (same info on Dieselsite)

https://swampsdiesel.com/products/dieselsite-wicked-ball-bearing-turbo-early-1999/

I'm surprised i haven't found a peep about this on any of the forums, curious to hear your thoughts or if anybody has any additional information.

I'm not very keen on the spring loaded wastegate controller that doesn't actually reference boost, i run a regular wastegate actuator controlled by an HKS boost controller. If i went that route i'd just swap that setup over as its an incredibly good controller that has allowed me to greatly reduce excess back-pressure and instantly change max boost levels depending on my tunes.

IdahoF350

Reaction score
Interesting. I have a D66 and it runs a bit hot for my taste. Towed 12,000lbs of trailer and skid steer the past two days, and I can keep the temps under 1200F but it's a hot lazy turd. I'm sure it would be fine with stock tires, but not with the 37s, lol.

I actually acquired all the bits and pieces to do a Late-99 conversion for the turbo since buying the D66, and I'll probably do that before buying another E99 specific turbo. Then again, I'll probably re-gear before I change turbos to see how it runs when it's back at the correct rpm for the speed I'm traveling.

JDelaney

Reaction score
IdahoF350 I was in a very similar situation as you are. I changed gears trying to help my EGT problem and found that a T4 mount and a 364.5sxe turbo completely changed the truck. Now I have too much gear.

IdahoF350

Reaction score
IdahoF350 I was in a very similar situation as you are. I changed gears trying to help my EGT problem and found that a T4 mount and a 364.5sxe turbo completely changed the truck. Now I have too much gear.

That's not an option in California. The T4 kits won't pass the visual inspection portion of the bi-annual emissions inspection. I recently acquired all the external components I'll need to convert to a 38R, or some other drop-in option with Garrett on the scroll. It's just a matter of saving up the funds to make the changes I'll want at that time. I'm figuring I'll need to do injectors a at the same time.

secondarychaos

Reaction score
That's not an option in California. The T4 kits won't pass the visual inspection portion of the bi-annual emissions inspection. I recently acquired all the external components I'll need to convert to a 38R, or some other drop-in option with Garrett on the scroll. It's just a matter of saving up the funds to make the changes I'll want at that time. I'm figuring I'll need to do injectors a at the same time.

Depends on the shop that does the inspection. I've seen them really look a truck over, and I've seen them do a visual inspection without the hood coming to a stop.

You might be able to sneak it through if you keep the boots black, the pipes unpolished, etc.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
opposite rotation turbos like the gt42 says garret on it... just saying... lol

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

TARM

Reaction score
Yes not sure how they are going to know one OEM turbo from another. For cheap you can get a pulled off gt4294 and unless they are 7.3 expert are not going to know.

euroford

Reaction score
hadn't really thought about needing a stock appearing turbo for e-test reasons. we do testing here in the front range of colorado, but i think they are not looking for an "oem" appearing engine. basically they read the valve cover sticker for equipment included, and then you have to have that equipment visually installed. example, as an e99 i have a cat listed as included emissions equipment, so when they look under the truck i have a "cat" installed. (note the quotes...)

i have a regulated return, aftermarket intake, blow off valve, etc. so when you pop the hood it doesn't look very OEM at all. I don't think anybody in CO would have problems passing an emissions test with a T4 setup. heck, with hybrid injectors and swamps tuning my truck had lower opacity than the bone stock DEF equipped duramax that tested right before i did on my last visit.

so personally, thats not a factor for me. but the new crop of high(er?) performance drop in's might be the ticket for people stuck in kalifornia.

I think most people would benefit by going straight to a T4 setup due to all of the ancillary parts required. not only do you get a sweet new turbo, but you also fix your leaky up-pipes, ****** your ebpv, fix the leaky IC boots and worn our clamps, etc. you fix a whole host of problems in one shot. heck... its probably a big reason why so many people are so happy with the performance of their new T4 setup.

in my case, i've addressed all of these issues to great lengths and won't much of any benefit from the other parts in a T4 kit. in some cases i'll have to replicate previous work such as wrapping and coating all of the piping, welding in fittings and a BOV, etc. I also get to keep a wastegate in the system without having to add the additional $850 expense and additional installation complication.

so the new drop in turbo's might be a good application for me. I guess it comes down to trying to evaluate in an apples to apples way how the new KC and Dieselsite turbo's might compare to a BW S364.5SXE. What i read about the KC turbo is pretty favorable, but again, people tend to post favorable results with turbo upgrade. it might be a stretch for somebody to run one of these, then do a 364.5 upgrade, then post in detail about it.

i've also noodled in my mind the possibility that one of these might make a good primary in a compound setup. since fabrication at home is one of my hobbies, i could in theory do a drop in upgrade and add an atmospheric down the road and still be out less dough than a T4 setup (not including possible resell of existing parts).

okay well, clearly i'm chatty this morning. got turbo's on the brain's ya know...

mandkole

Reaction score
physically, a GT42 is pretty big compared to the stocker. 5" intake plumbing is pretty hard to make look stock.

Attachments

• P1010125.JPG
    P1010125.JPG
    700.5 KB · Views: 160

TARM

Reaction score
physically, a GT42 is pretty big compared to the stocker. 5" intake plumbing is pretty hard to make look stock.

Absolutely I do not disagree but my thought is that this may one be true when you have a stock one and the other side by side. Just saying diesels compared to gassers are 1:100 in most areas and then how many are experienced with 7.3s these days well enough to know what size turbo and is that what they are even looking for. Mostly it seems the attention is on emission equip itself Is there a CEL is there is a cat and muf. I am lucky here as out air quality is some of the best and we do not have emissions on any vehicles in this county and not on diesels in the entire state. Nor in the areas that do have it on gassers is it state run but local gas stations are the E stations so even then its not hard to find someone that knows someone that knows someone:cool:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I'm glad michigan doesn't do any emissions or certified inspections.. can run whatever we want.. lol

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

euroford

Reaction score
having grown up in Michigan, I can't see the state implementing emissions regulations any time soon.

at any rate... unless your from California i don't etesting would be a driving reason to stick with a stock platform turbo.

biggdirty7.3

Reaction score
interesting that we have some drop in turbo options showing up, including for us E99 guys. I was pretty dead set on going with a T4 364.5SXE, but am considering going the drop in route as I have already dealt with up pipes, pedestal etc. and the cost way lower.

the KC38r has gotten a considerable amount of attention on the forums, they plan to offer an E99 version but are being a bit more cagey about when that will hit the streets.

what piqued my interest in the topic is that it looks like Dieselsite is coming out with a turbo very comparable to the KC38r, for a bit less money, that should start shipping in the next couple of months.

link on Swamps website below: (same info on Dieselsite)

https://swampsdiesel.com/products/dieselsite-wicked-ball-bearing-turbo-early-1999/

I'm surprised i haven't found a peep about this on any of the forums, curious to hear your thoughts or if anybody has any additional information.

I'm not very keen on the spring loaded wastegate controller that doesn't actually reference boost, i run a regular wastegate actuator controlled by an HKS boost controller. If i went that route i'd just swap that setup over as its an incredibly good controller that has allowed me to greatly reduce excess back-pressure and instantly change max boost levels depending on my tunes.

As I read about this new turbo you are referring to it has quite a high price tag. 2400$ for basically a 38r . No thanks

mcnance865

Reaction score
hadn't really thought about needing a stock appearing turbo for e-test reasons. we do testing here in the front range of colorado, but i think they are not looking for an "oem" appearing engine. basically they read the valve cover sticker for equipment included, and then you have to have that equipment visually installed. example, as an e99 i have a cat listed as included emissions equipment, so when they look under the truck i have a "cat" installed. (note the quotes...)

i have a regulated return, aftermarket intake, blow off valve, etc. so when you pop the hood it doesn't look very OEM at all. I don't think anybody in CO would have problems passing an emissions test with a T4 setup. heck, with hybrid injectors and swamps tuning my truck had lower opacity than the bone stock DEF equipped duramax that tested right before i did on my last visit.

so personally, thats not a factor for me. but the new crop of high(er?) performance drop in's might be the ticket for people stuck in kalifornia.

I think most people would benefit by going straight to a T4 setup due to all of the ancillary parts required. not only do you get a sweet new turbo, but you also fix your leaky up-pipes, ****** your ebpv, fix the leaky IC boots and worn our clamps, etc. you fix a whole host of problems in one shot. heck... its probably a big reason why so many people are so happy with the performance of their new T4 setup.

in my case, i've addressed all of these issues to great lengths and won't much of any benefit from the other parts in a T4 kit. in some cases i'll have to replicate previous work such as wrapping and coating all of the piping, welding in fittings and a BOV, etc. I also get to keep a wastegate in the system without having to add the additional $850 expense and additional installation complication.

so the new drop in turbo's might be a good application for me. I guess it comes down to trying to evaluate in an apples to apples way how the new KC and Dieselsite turbo's might compare to a BW S364.5SXE. What i read about the KC turbo is pretty favorable, but again, people tend to post favorable results with turbo upgrade. it might be a stretch for somebody to run one of these, then do a 364.5 upgrade, then post in detail about it.

i've also noodled in my mind the possibility that one of these might make a good primary in a compound setup. since fabrication at home is one of my hobbies, i could in theory do a drop in upgrade and add an atmospheric down the road and still be out less dough than a T4 setup (not including possible resell of existing parts).

okay well, clearly i'm chatty this morning. got turbo's on the brain's ya know...

Old thread i know, but I was reading this post and laughed because you start off talking about needing a stock appearing turbo setup in the first sentence and by the last sentence you are contemplating a compound setup hahaha.
:blitzed: :pullover:

Latest posts

Members online