Wiring questions for fog lights

chaselee

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the dual led pod foglight setup. I want them to come on with the parking lamps so I was planning on tapping them I to the parking light wires on each side. Question is, do I need to run any kind of inline fuse or relay between the power source and the lights. Thanks!

Bugman

Reaction score
And a relay to switch the power feed from the battery.

Use the parking lamps to switch the relay

Bugman

Reaction score
I doubt that they are wired through a relay but there should be a fuse.

But you have to consider that the factory only figured that only the parking lights and the other associated lights would be on that circuit and sized the wiring and fusing to what the load would be. Now you come along and want to put a larger load onto the circuit which might be alright but then again it might not be.

It could cause burnt wiring and shorted wires down the road even if the fuse does not blow right away. That is where just using the parking light wiring to operate the relay with a power source for the lights coming directly from the battery.

chaselee

Reaction score
Ok, I don't know much about wiring up relays so I guess I need to do some studying...

Bugman

Reaction score
They are actually quite simple.

The coil of the relay will be connected to a ground and in this case power from the parking lights.

The feed from the battery will go through a fuse to the contact position of the relay and then the fog lights will be connected to the other side.

Then when you turn the parking lights on the fogs will come on unless you run a switch to control the feed to the relays coil. The trucks battery will supply all the power to the fogs.

JCart

Reaction score
As another option you might want to consider is this. A Relay is just a switch that can handle more current and to turn it on you need a trigger power source. So you find the power that activates your park lights as the trigger. You will also need to have a ground running to the Relay. Now having said that anytime your park lights are on, this will include when headlights come on too, your fogs will be on. What I often do is install a toggle switch or an old school floor switch in the ground circuit to the Relay. In this way fogs will only work if 1) Park, and or head lights are on and 2) the floor switch is on.

You may find the LED fogs are very bright and a floor switch is a good way to control them as you drive.

j

79jasper

Reaction score
OBS do NOT have factory relays for lighting. Unless you have the optional trailer lighting relays. (Which don't affect headlights, parking lights, etc anyways)
Get the "installation wiring kit" with it, or pick one up somewhere.
Will the leds (I assume the pods are led) draw a ton of power? Unlikely, but many Ford's have burnt to the ground from the crappy stock headlight wiring. (Not to mention the cruise control fiasco lol)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

chaselee

Reaction score
Here's how I was thinking of wiring them up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180127-155713.jpg
    Screenshot_20180127-155713.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 46

chaselee

Reaction score
Got em wired up. Bright Lil bastards too.

Attachments

• IMG_20180213_144418948_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180213_144418948_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 49

JCart

Reaction score
Not sure why my pic is sideways. Lol

Looks great. I’ve mounted a set of VisionX dual 10 watt LEDs same location with a short throw toggle on the door panel next to window and door locks. Also installed some Tony Rojo 55 watt HIDs projectors that he retofits into clear headlight lens buckets. Excellent cut off and high beam.

j

Latest posts

Members online