7.3 Turbo care

dixiepridetowing

Reaction score
I have always been told with turbo cars and heavy equipment to let the turbo idle before shutdown so you don't coke oil in it. I do this to my truck currently and I was wondering some of the other forums I've read people say it's not necessary because of how something is set up on this engine. I bought this truck at 264+ and it's now 272+ I just want to make sure I take care of it so it will continue to live on. Any advice and suggestions?

campbellflage

Reaction score
I have always been told with turbo cars and heavy equipment to let the turbo idle before shutdown so you don't coke oil in it. I do this to my truck currently and I was wondering some of the other forums I've read people say it's not necessary because of how something is set up on this engine. I bought this truck at 264+ and it's now 272+ I just want to make sure I take care of it so it will continue to live on. Any advice and suggestions?
I have always let mine cool down. I currently use edge cts2 turbo timer set to shut the truck off at 290 degree egt.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I think it depends what you have been doing. To be completely honest, i have not practiced it on any of the 4 diesels I have owned, or on the handful of diesel company trucks i have had. Never blown up or had to replace one either. Several hundred thousand miles between the vehicles too, and i am not easy on any of them...

Denver

Reaction score
As long as the engine isn't hot from towing or going up a hill before you turn it off you'll be fine. A habit I see is people will tap the throttle before shutting off the engine. Thats bad.

dixiepridetowing

Reaction score
I really make sure to do it when I come off the interstate after running for a little while and after I've been driving for a long time around town. Any good EGT gauge suggestions and what is the lowest operating temperature of a turbo.

dmd

Reaction score
From what I have seen there are only a few times it really needs to cool down:
- Towing at speed and just pulling off to stop
- Going up a grade and just pulling off to stop (like a rest stop)
- Higher speed driving and just pull off to stop

Most times when you stop someplace you do a little side street driving, or have to
drive a little to get to the right pump, or the place you are going is residential and
have to drive 45mph or lower. The slower driving usually gives plenty of time for everything to cool down. The only time I see where it really needs to cool a minute
or so is when I pull into a rest stop right off the freeway when towing. Driving around town you can just shut it off like a gas motor mostly. I let it sit for maybe 5 seconds
to make sure the turbo is spun down and turn it off the vast majority of the time.

Largest factor is oil quality and keeping it serviced.

A gauge is really for the upper EGT to make sure you don't melt a piston.

DieselJpower

Reaction score
Some would say yes, but as much as I drive cost wise it's not worth it to me. I didn't notice any difference the few times I had tried it. I don't like to run my oil past 4k anyway just to be on the safe side, however Jim says you can go alot more. If you drive alot of miles, synthetic gets expensive quick.

I've never ran Jim's fancy grade though, might be worth asking him for his opinion as he's a straight shooter and will get you what you need.

dmd

Reaction score
Jim will say run 8700 and change at 5000 miles. If you have bypass filtering you
can go more.

Latest posts

Members online